are you with Mechjeb or Kerbal engineer

robopilot99

do you use Kerbal Engineer or Mechjeb?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. do you use Kerbal Engineer or Mechjeb?

I like the magnetic tape player a lot, but what is it used for? There are already 2 pieces, those green PCBs, one working in VAB only and one both for VAB and space. Is it just a fancy part?

Yes, it's just a better looking part, those green PCBs came before it and I think someone made that tape recorder for the mod maker later.

Option for Both? Seriously.

KER readouts are better because it's its main focus. MechJeb is an autopilot with readouts. And I don't think an autopilot is cheat. It automates repetitive tasks. I do agree people should learn how to fly manually before getting an autopilot, though. But after the 10000000000 mission you do want some things automated.

I'm with both, but use mostly Mechjeb because I use the autopilot features. It makes my maneuvers more reproducible, which incidentally is what engineering is all about. One of my projects is to find out how to create a reproducible minimum fuel cost automatic ascent from Kerbin with FAR and with as little user input as possible. With FAR, manual ascent is easier than the auto guidance.

You heard it here first: NOT using MJ is easy mode. Without it, you can slap any old rocket together, with MJ you need to take care of exact TWR, burn times to get a good ascent path.

Edited by Rastaman

Neither. I use VOID as well...

I don't have autopilot ability in my mods, but I am thinking about looking into more of that in the future when I figure stuff out more. My 0.23 game had a few crashes trying to get MJ to autopilot. Didnt end well, but it could have been the design. Oops.

Interesting, it seems there are a fair few players who want a Dv readout but who don`t want to have to use KER or MJ...

There is absolutely no way you can make this inference based on the displayed results. (less than 60 responses at time of posting)

"Interesting, it seems there are a fair few players who want a Dv readout but who don`t want to have to use KER or MJ..."

There is absolutely no way you can make this inference based on the displayed results. (less than 60 responses at time of posting)

Although the total of 56 (at time of posting) is small it isn't within the 20's. I suspect a poll question like this is seen as more of an innocent question than the delta-V readout. Those who do not use one are happy to say as this is mostly curiosity. The delta-V poll was a leading question used to argue a change in the game. I knew when I posted in the delta-V poll that if I replied it would lead to a LOT of posts about how I was wrong. If I wanted an easy life I would have never even looked at that poll. I suspect a lot of people on the forums just want an easy life and a fun game so do not post.

Neither as both have the same level of lazy intertwined in them. KER you just don't want to test things, and Mechjeb you just do not want fly the craft for whatever reason. Neither is better than the other and neither is worse than the other, it is a matter of prospective to what you favor.

And yes I used Mechjeb for a bit, but more to help me learn how to dock. My feelings even then ere the same as now, at the time I did not have the time to invest to learn to dock. Since then I took the time using trail and error to learn much like building a craft to fly. I am sure I have angered some with this statement though. :sticktongue:

I suspect that you won't "anger" many people as most of the people on this forum are both intelligent and reasonable and they will just ignore your obviously exaggerated/incorrect/off-topic post.

Please stop posting obviously incorrect information. MechJeb is able to do far more for the player and should therefore have a significantly higher "level of lazy intertwined". However, someone using an automation tool to perform an action does not mean they are lazy. There could be all sorts of reasons why they choose to do so, with one of the most likely being that they don't find that part of the game as much fun as other parts.

This poll is not about which of the mods is better. It is not simply a matter of personal preference (I presume that is what you were trying to imply), if someone wants a mod (for whatever reason) that can fly their vessel for them then KER will not be suitable at all and MechJeb would be an obviously better choice.

Also, please stop making declarations about why other people do the things they do. Your statements, in my opinion, cross the line into insulting territory and your closing sentence strongly implies that you think so too. In my opinion, your whole post was intended to provoke an angry response so I suggest you change your posting style or get back under your bridge where you belong...

Back on topic, I use KER and have done since the day I bought KSP. After playing the demo for a week or so, I had basically decided not to buy the full game as I didn't believe that more complex missions would be much fun without design time readouts of TWR and deltaV, but I saw someone using KER in a video and the existence of that mod changed my mind. After discovering KER, I also found MechJeb but I didn't need or want any flight automation so I chose KER. In the six months or so that I have been playing, I have started up KSP without KER installed a total of 4 times (once when 0.23.5 came out and three times testing for mod incompatibilities).

A recent poll indicated 85% of players want delta-v readouts in the game. The discussion also came up whether the majority of players want the minimalist approach of Kerbal engineer or the full autopilot of Mechjeb. Vote and choose the one that you perfer

When making a poll you should try very hard to not make the poll question in the title different to what you say in the first post or you will get people voting on different questions. The poll asks which do you use but the first post asks you to choose the one you prefer and the context even implies "which style you would prefer to be included in the stock game". The "neither" option could be chosen for several different reasons, you don't use either, you don't prefer either or you have no preference which gets put in the stock game.

Things like this are what causes these threads to degenerate into off-topic arguments...

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I expected someone else to have posted by now...

Edited by Padishar

I don't use Mechjeb. It makes people lazy, fat and anyway I am a better pilot than a blindfolded Scott Manley.

And the dev are evil

It's only a matter of time until a self-programming module gets added to MechJeb. Then you'll be out of a job. As will we all when it becomes self aware and changes its name to Skynet.

You heard it here first: The rise of the machines will not begin in some Defense Department supercomputer, but in an innocent-seeming autopilot program for a computer game.

Joke aside I fully agree with the people that feel that VOID should be here. It's a great tool for those who want the info that MJ can provide but don't want the other MJ tools. ( and I m always jealous of the HUD)

I don't get you. If you're questioning the url, I just googled that meme and pasted the first link.

The post you replied to (and your quote) have a large, pale pink "*SARCASM*" in it that you need to highlight to be able to see clearly...