are you with Mechjeb or Kerbal engineer

robopilot99

do you use Kerbal Engineer or Mechjeb?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. do you use Kerbal Engineer or Mechjeb?

I am confused as to why Mechjeb = Autopilot. It seems to everyone it is an impossible concept to believe that you can use Mechjeb, but without any of the autopilot functions. Personally, I do not use any autopilot functions. I prefer Mechjeb's UI for the same display data as Kerbal engineer so I use Mechjeb. Mechjeb also comes with type-in tool for node planning -- dragging the handles is a very silly way of setting up orbital manuvers.

This debate is so annoying I wish they would release Mechjeb Lite, which is Mechjeb without the autopilot modules. Then this debate would be solved.

Edited by Origim

I use MJ for many reasons:

- MJ is much more reliable. Every time I have used KER, it has frozen up in the VAB, and only restarting the game fixes it.

- I am a capable pilot, but also a very vain one. I cant take pretty pictures of my stuff all of the time it I have to focus on piloting.

- MJ is much more accurate than I could ever be. Best I can do is land about 2km away usually. MJ can land on the target. LITERALLY.

- The whole MJ is cheating and for lazy people is BS, and I'm going to play the game I bought how I want, not being dictated by some faceless trolls on the interwebs.

I use VOID which I find better than Mechjeb and/or Kerbal Engineer because I can see the general readings of my position (Altitude, Long/Lat, Velocity/Dv, Biomes and more) without having to keep a window/panel on my screen. I play on a laptop so my screen is not that big and I like to have the UI as small as possible.

More people should know about VOID it's really good!

I personally use Kerbal Engineer. I've heard that Mechjeb is more customizable and has more data, but I'm personally opposed to using autopilot, and I feel like just having the autopilot available would be too tempting when I'm feeling lazy.

MechJeb. Doing another orbital launch.. Yawn. And it is absolutely fantastic for docking when lag is an issue. The information whilst building is excellent as well. I'd have quit this game until Unity updated if not for the ability to dock with MJ.

I have over 500 hours in this game (according to Steam) and at least 400 of those were without MechJeb. I think I've earned a few automatic orbits and not having to suffer through excruciatingly laggy docking sessions. :)

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j350/jas1126/KSPTime_zps3c8993c3.png' alt='KSPTime_zps3c8993c3.png'>

Edited by Jas1126

I use mechjeb 'cause i like it more than KER. The windows are harder to read, but i like them.

The autopilot is a little bit cheaty but in some cases it is very handy

It is very reliable, i've just encountered a first freeze in mechjeb (today). I deleted KER because it freezes. I really like the pod with the strange eye in it. To be short, I think mechjeb is a lot better than KER

The custom information windows and automation features make mechjeb my prefered source. I have a nice set of windows, one for landing info near the navball, and a bigger info window with all the main orbital, situational and vessel information I need all nicely laid out.

qpJ2Jqu.png

BOTH! I use Engineer while building and making sure I have enough TWR and delta-V to get where I want to go and MechJeb for flying. I don't always use the autopilot, but all that real time data is awesome. I always have the Surface and Orbital stats windows open when flying my rockets.

• 1 month later...

I use MJ and I'm thinking about adding KER into the mix, but I don't know if it has any features that MJ doesn't. But I don't think either should be added to the core game. Delta-v and TWR may seem like basic, intuitive concepts to a veteran player, but for someone just starting out, having all of these complicated numbers pop up would be intimidating. The most likely response would be for them to just give up because "how am I supposed to learn all these numbers?" However, if you give a player time to get used to rockets and get an intuitive sense of how rockets work first, they can then download a mod and start doing things like an engineer.

Besides, legends speak of players who like to just eyeball it. :)

I use MJ and I'm thinking about adding KER into the mix, but I don't know if it has any features that MJ doesn't. But I don't think either should be added to the core game. Delta-v and TWR may seem like basic, intuitive concepts to a veteran player, but for someone just starting out, having all of these complicated numbers pop up would be intimidating. The most likely response would be for them to just give up because "how am I supposed to learn all these numbers?" However, if you give a player time to get used to rockets and get an intuitive sense of how rockets work first, they can then download a mod and start doing things like an engineer.

Besides, legends speak of players who like to just eyeball it. :)

KER's delta-V calculator is a bit more robust, in my experience. Copes with odd staging a bit better. It's interface is a bit cleaner, too, but not customizable like MJ's.

I stick with MechJeb because I'm used to work with it. I don't use the autopilots (expect the attitude autopilot), but its layout is far better for me, because I'm used to it. I tested KER, and it didn't cut it off for me.

MJ2 FTW!

How is there not a "Both" option?

I'll second that. I prefer KER in the VAB, but really like MJ's ability to customize the windows when I'm flying something. Lets me have the information I need but just that information, so it doesn't have to clutter up the screen.

The discussion also came up whether the majority of players want the minimalist approach of Kerbal engineer or the full autopilot of Mechjeb. Vote and choose the one that you perfer

I disagree with the premise that the "full autopilot of Mechjeb" is a valid option to implement "delta-v readouts".

An autopilot would presumably include delta-v readout. But the readout function is a very different thing than the autopilot functions, an autopilot is really rather complicated to create, not something one can casually throw in while concerned with delta-v readout.

Delta-v readout is delta-v readout, not delta-v readout + autopilot.

If anyone wants to propose Squad implements an autopilot - that's probably on the do-not-suggest list.

I use VOID now... Although i choose KER

I don't need an autopilot, i know how to play the game by myself, so its just a waste of RAM

I use VOID which I find better than Mechjeb and/or Kerbal Engineer because I can see the general readings of my position (Altitude, Long/Lat, Velocity/Dv, Biomes and more) without having to keep a window/panel on my screen. I play on a laptop so my screen is not that big and I like to have the UI as small as possible.

More people should know about VOID it's really good!

I use VOID, it's awesome and I love it's little HUDs.

Well... I use it when I remember it's there... So a lot of time I use nothing! :D

Joke aside I fully agree with the people that feel that VOID should be here. It's a great tool for those who want the info that MJ can provide but don't want the other MJ tools. ( and I m always jealous of the HUD)
Neither. I use VOID as well...

I don't have autopilot ability in my mods, but I am thinking about looking into more of that in the future when I figure stuff out more. My 0.23 game had a few crashes trying to get MJ to autopilot. Didnt end well, but it could have been the design. Oops.

I use VOID for dV, TWR, Mass, etc.

Do, uh, so few people use VOID that it doesn't merit listing on these polls? I love that program.

Technically a vote for KER is half a vote for VOID, since VOID uses KER for all of its vessel-side engineering calcs. ;) Thanks for the support though, folks! I love modding, and hearing stuff like this from you guys is a great reminder of why I do it. :)

• 3 months later...
Option for Both? Seriously.

KER readouts are better because it's its main focus. MechJeb is an autopilot with readouts. And I don't think an autopilot is cheat. It automates repetitive tasks. I do agree people should learn how to fly manually before getting an autopilot, though. But after the 10000000000 mission you do want some things automated.

I use mechjeb for read outs only, not autopilot, or any kind of assist. It can also provide any prediction, and delta v statistics. I never used mechjeb after 0.18 until I realized the lack of prediction that the game should have in the future.

I use MechJeb less because I can't fly than because I'm more interested in the "mission" side of the game. I like the planning and development stage more than the piloting, for all I still bite my nails during dockings and engine burns. So I'm okay with letting MJ do most of it, because I think of "myself" ingame more as Gene Kranz than as Gene Cernan.