Do you worry about time?

EdFred

I have this weird thing where I imagine that time acceleration occurs for the Kerbals just like for the players, like there's some sort of hypertime or relativity or something. Though I think it's so I can feel less guilty about sending Kerbals into space for months at a time.

I have KAC, but only really for when I get my space stations up and running and have to worry about multiple manned missions needing periodic resupply. When I don't have a crew hanging out somewhere I tend to focus on one mission at a time before moving on to the next one.

If I'm warping longer than a trip to Minmus without something going on, I feel like somebody in Kongress is going to start asking questions about the lack of progress.

So while my manned Duna expedition and unmanned Moho orbiter wait for their midcourse corrections, I'm replacing my original space station with a better-planned one, planning to ship a second station out to Minmus to support low-gravity mining operations, and doing some experimental flights toward replacing my Orion-style crew taxis with a reusable space plane.

I started trying to not warp too far, but I'm not sure I like it.

I'd much rather finish a mission all at once.

I do still try and keep things moving along without warp though, but if I run out of things to do, and have a ship arriving at it's destination in 35 days or something, I'll warp to there, finish the mission, and find something else to do with the science I earn.

At first I did care about it in my career mode. I didn't want my flags mocking me. "Hahaha, look at the noob! It took him 58 years before he finally planted a flag on Eeloo."

We all pick what we want to roleplay for realism sake and what liberties we take because it's "just a game." I guess it's odd that I don't care about the clock anymore because of gameplay reasons, but I'll still bring along a hitchhiker storage container so my Kerbals don't stay cramped (a roleplay reason). Oh well.

I don't like it when my Kerbals don't launch something for a long time. I never time-warp unless it's a mission that's within Kerbin's SOI. For interplanetary missions, I launch an armada of interplanetary vehicles into LKO, wait for their transfer window period, complete the transfer maneuver, and go do another mission. I feel like it's just wrong to have them wait for 3 years to complete a mission, where most of it is literally doing nothing. I generally just try to make my space station huge, build bases, fly planes, and then the next update is rolled out before any of my interplanetary craft are even halfway to their targets. It's something I really need to get over.

Because of this little... obsession, I have only ever landed on Eve, Moho, and Duna. I've flown by Ike, but never Gilly. I'm tempted to make a sandbox save where I don't care about time, purely so that I can actually visit these other bodies. Thing is, I've always played, ever since 0.13 (maybe even earlier), so sandbox is kind of like career for me. As a result, the issue of time is passed over. It's something I've just got to deal with and get over.

I used to get to year 30+ in old saves. Then I installed KAC and did every science report in the game in less than 10 years. However, I wouldn't care if it took my space programm 100 years, I just enjoy switching between a multitude of missions.

I use Kerbal Alarm Clock myself for reminders, and run a handful of missions at once if they involve long transits. However it doesn't bother me at all if I have to skip ahead a decent amount of time to get to the windows I need for my next mission.

I just assume that the Kerbals spend more time playing with test equipment in the lab and eating more snacks instead of carefully building parts for the next rocket. Then they'll scramble like mad ants to get all the work done the week before the planned launch window.

Seems logical.

I was trying to background my interplanetary missions and use the alarm clock but it's hard for me to do that. I usually just stick to one mission until it's complete or I forget what in the world I was doing. I'd find myself killing time with ship improvements and test runs to the Mun or Minmus and back, or even building a base on Kerbin's ice caps and the Mun, just to find out my Duna / Jool mission is still floating along out in the abyss somewhere. I just don't have the patience to launch a new and potentially awesome mission then move onto something less interesting to me at the time while I wait.

I do run simultaneous missions, but usually there's a reason for it like they are related and dependent on each other or I had a random idea I wanted to try out for a while.

Edited by Duke23

I do several missions at once, and with TAC life support I do have to pay attention to the time. Kerbal Alarm clock helps with that immensely.

However, I don't have more than one manned interplanetary mission going on at any given time. Considering how monumental a mission to Mars would be IRL, I highly doubt they'll have a second mission to Venus going on at the same time. Lots of probes, but one big mission at a time.

Kerbal kind don't ever advance to the age where interplanetary space travel becomes the norm.

I try not to waste too much time, especially with Kerbal Construction Time, since any wasted time is time I could have spent building rockets for future launches. With TAC life support I can't waste a year waiting for a launch window without a little bit of maintenance, and with KAC it's a lot easier to manage time.

I feel like some of you might enjoy playing with Kerbal Construction Time. I'm the current developer of it. The pictures on the OP haven't been updated in a while, but for the most part they are accurate. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69310-WIP-0-23-5-Kerbal-Construction-Time-PreRelease-5-%284-30-14%29

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.