The Debris Series [Now Taking Requests!]

BagelRabbit

Hello everyone! I'm trying artsy things for a change.

This will be a series of pictures of the debris that I've left behind during my adventures in KSP. I'll try to find some debris on some of my save files, and then draw the more noticeable chunks in pencil or pen.

The Debris Series is now taking requests. If you want to send in a request, please include a screenshot, and state where you want the debris to be (unless you want the screenshot copied more-or-less exactly). You can PM this information to me or post it on the page itself. If you would like, you can include some backstory, so that I know what to write. Regardless, I'm not the fastest worker and you may have to wait a little while for your suggestions to be used... sorry.

Here are the drawings on the forum, arranged from oldest to newest:

Big Crew Lander Debris,

RCS-Mun-Lander Debris,

Minmus Lander C Debris,

Mun Lander Four Debris,

Duna One Debris,

MetSat 2 Debris,

Minmus Ho! Debris,

Duna Deliverer Debris,

Jool Plunge Debris

...and I'll be adding more as time goes by.

Unfulfilled Requests by:

Joshwoo69

Kookoo_gr

Sylandro

tntristan12

Fulfilled Requests:

Avera9eJoe's Awesome Debris

SelectHalfling0's Debris

~~~

Okay, we'll start off with the original image:

4nhS5Y2.jpg

Laythe-1 Debris

Year 3, Day 147

The unmanned Laythe-1 probe eventually landed on the moon it was named for, after dropping this debris off in an eccentric Jool orbit. The debris was entirely comprised of a stack decoupler, a fuel tank, an LV-909 engine, a battery and a single solar panel. After several orbits, it encountered Tylo, which caused it to deorbit Jool and be incinerated.

Edited by UpsilonAerospace
Adding Sylandro to the Unfulfilled Requests.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone!

I try to keep debris down to a minimum in my saves, so each piece of debris generally has a story. I think that this will help with this series.

lA8Kuj0.jpg

Big Crew Lander Debris

Year 1, Day 11 (0.21)

The Big Crew Lander needed enough Delta-V to return home from the Mun. Thus, most of its braking burn was done with the transfer stage, which was jettisoned before landing. A large piece of debris remained after the transfer stage was jettisoned, including a squashed Rockomax fuel tank and a stack decoupler. The lander successfully touched down within range of this debris before safely returning to Kerbin.

[edit: Sorry for the general unpolished feeling of this drawing; I'm not as good at working with pen as I am with pencil. It's good to try something new though.]

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for the flattering comments and the +Rep! Honestly, these aren't great. I'm likely going to do some better stuff over the summer, when I have more time.

Regardless, here's the newest one.

2Z2SfR6.jpg

RCS-Mun-Lander Debris (0.23)

Year 1, Day 36

This was the transfer stage of a small, unmanned Mun lander. Sadly, I put on the wrong stack decoupler and ended up with two pieces of debris in Munar orbit, not one, thus slowing down my poor computer even more.

It made for a good picture, though.

Honestly, these aren't great.

You lie! Maybe the shadows are imperfect, or the details not exactly the same as parts from the game, but these are damn decent drawings. (yay alliteration!)

You are hereby forbidden from putting them down.*

*I have no power or authority to enforce this so.. whatever.

Hello again!

Thanks for the positive feedback, which I do not deserve. At the request of Tw1, however, I will not beat up my artwork on account of its poor quality.

I call this one "Frak-you-scanner-why-can't-you-just-be-normal-and-not-make-the-bottom-of-the-image-so-frakking-blurry." It took a lot of time to do, and after scanning it four times, it still was messed up. This is the best "take" of the four.

oh, and the proportions were thrown out of whack by the scanner, too. maybe you can tell.

SGHUsul.jpg

Minmus Lander C Debris (0.22)

Year 1, Day 68

This Minmus landing mission was very nearly a disaster from the start, but this stage saved the entire mission. It got the craft into Kerbin orbit, made the Minmus injection burn, and circularized the Minmus orbit before being dropped of with over a hundred gallons of fuel to spare. The lander, crewed by two brave, resourceful and intrepid Kerbals (I forget their names) made it down to the Minmus surface and back to Kerbin safe and sound.

oh, and the proportions were thrown out of whack by the scanner, too. maybe you can tell.

I too know the troubles of the scanner. Perhaps it wasn't properly pushed down?

I quite like the lumpiness of Minmus here. Sometimes, people make it too rocky looking, so it's nice to see one that goes the other way.

Edited by Tw1

Hello everyone!

A few quick notes:

I've gotten more +Rep out of this thread than all the other threads I have made combined.

I do not understand.

Sure, some of my drawings are alright. Some may even think that they are good. But whenever one of these threads crops up, one of the first things that people say is, "Why isn't the background colored? Why isn't the foreground colored? I have all of these other suggestions, too..." and they go on to list all of the things that you did wrong.

Which is okay, because it's a good experience to learn from. You get better at drawing.

And here I am, with my cruddy pencil sketches, and everybody seems pretty happy with them! I've even gotten some people following this thread after only a few drawings.

So, based on these observations, I have a few things to say.

Does anyone have any bones to pick with these drawings? Or may I finally begin inflating my ego? :)

...and should I continue in my vague, pencil-ly style, or should I try coloring in backgrounds, planets, etc.?

Your feedback is much appreciated. So is your +Rep, though it is completely uncalled for.

kthxbai.

[Edit: Oh, and there'll be a new drawing tomorrow, too.]

I absolutely love the way you draw your planets & moons!

Personally I would like you to keep to your black & white pencil style, although I wouldn't mind if you did color it.

I seriously have nothing bad to think about these drawings right now. This is the best pencil art I've seen.

I'm not even kidding.

I seriously have nothing bad to think about these drawings right now. This is the best pencil art I've seen.

I'm not even kidding.

Aww, shucks. That's very kind of you. :)

Seriously though, any suggestions on how to make this artwork better? Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Trying something sorta new now.

aPlqhDM.jpg

Mun Lander Four Debris

Year 1, Day 87 (0.17)

After a successful Mun mission, this craft was supposed to parachute down to a gentle landing. Sadly, because the parachute of this craft was attached to a weakly bonded ASAS module (Ah, memories!), the crew capsule fell five hundred meters and exploded upon landing. This is what I imagined the scene to look like if it was real: The hard landing likely ignited the monopropellant that I had stored on the sides of the cockpit, causing a fireball and a sizeable crater.

RIP Bobford, Landred and Bill.

Edited by UpsilonAerospace

Awesome and Awesome again! Lol scanner. I know what you mean.

Suggestion - Add more color depth to the gray. The thing I liked most about your previous pictures (namely the mun landing) was the touch-down cloud. - The way you put an outline of the terrain inside the blast cloud but left the rest blank looked extremely good.

The thin line of terrain behind the blast. Your touchdowns look phenomenal.

NzuoHKE.png:P] 9.jpg0a9c389e-b757-478f-aa5d-7b3b1042eeb4Large.jpg

The solar panel debris in the Jool/Vall shot was nice too. Shadowing. Always shadowing! - And greeble (the stuff that you add to just make things more detailed and spacey [spoiler=Greeble example

One more suggestion would be to take user content suggestions if you run out of ideas. Namely this :cool::

]

KJa7h6k.png
(I sorta suggest this because panels but mainly because I'm greedy. You've already done a Vall shot so do if you want idc.)

Really though, on the general side of things, suggestions from people are probably good ways of improving and getting new content.

Hope this was useful!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I used to draw a lot. I know what you put into your artwork.

Mine were mostly sword and sorcery based. I draw people and dragons pretty well, I suck at structures and machines.

I love your artwork.

So please take this as constructive criticism.

A little more shading will give them a more rounded and 3 dimensional appearance.

Try to do this in respect of your light source.

As far as color goes. Give it a shot man. Maybe even a slightly different medium? Think, pastels on black paper? Experiment! I used to do pen and ink (Really old school, inkwell), oils, colored pencils, pastel, charcoal and at one point these colored pens that were thin at one end and blunt on the other. Really nice ones from the art store. They also could be attached to an air sprayer (canned or electrical) to do a limited type of airbrushing.

Anyway, just trying to inspire you. Art is HARD, Because no matter what you create. All you see are the mistakes, and your going to put it up in a public forum for criticism. Think of how hard that is, I know you struggled with the very idea. I am also so very happy you did share with us.

Capturing the feeling of a moment is the reward. And you've done that very well. Good composition that looks natural and not forced. Please continue this thread.

Ronn "Pslytely Psycho" Kelley.

'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae.......Jeb :huh::cool::confused:

Edited by pslytely psycho

Hooray! Constructive Criticism!

Awesome and Awesome again! Lol scanner. I know what you mean.

Suggestion - Add more color depth to the gray. The thing I liked most about your previous pictures (namely the mun landing) was the touch-down cloud. - The way you put an outline of the terrain inside the blast cloud but left the rest blank looked extremely good.

The thin line of terrain behind the blast. Your touchdowns look phenomenal.

http://i.imgur.com/NzuoHKE.png:P] http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2012/08/28__01_17_37/9.jpg0a9c389e-b757-478f-aa5d-7b3b1042eeb4Large.jpg

The solar panel debris in the Jool/Vall shot was nice too. Shadowing. Always shadowing! - And greeble (the stuff that you add to just make things more detailed and spacey [spoiler=Greeble example

One more suggestion would be to take user content suggestions if you run out of ideas. Namely this :cool::

]

http://i.imgur.com/KJa7h6k.png
(I sorta suggest this because panels but mainly because I'm greedy. You've already done a Vall shot so do if you want idc.)
A little more shading will give them a more rounded and 3 dimensional appearance.

Try to do this in respect of your light source.

As far as color goes. Give it a shot man. Maybe even a slightly different medium? Think, pastels on black paper? Experiment! I used to do pen and ink (Really old school, inkwell), oils, colored pencils, pastel, charcoal and at one point these colored pens that were thin at one end and blunt on the other. Really nice ones from the art store. They also could be attached to an air sprayer (canned or electrical) to do a limited type of airbrushing.

Anyway, just trying to inspire you. Art is HARD, Because no matter what you create. All you see are the mistakes, and your going to put it up in a public forum for criticism. Think of how hard that is, I know you struggled with the very idea. I am also so very happy you did share with us.

Capturing the feeling of a moment is the reward. And you've done that very well. Good composition that looks natural and not forced. Please continue this thread.

Ronn "Pslytely Psycho" Kelley.

'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae.......Jeb :huh::cool::confused:

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll try to honor them as best as I can.

Here's a few quick comments:

My scanner stupid fraking son of a Kerm strips my drawings of a significant amount of their shading, as any subtler variations in color completely go over its head. I think that I should probably be compensating for this by making my shading a bit more boldly. I'll try this next time.

I want to do these things in full-color glory so badly. I'm okay/pretty good at pastels, too, and can hold my own in colored pencils. Here's a quick thumbnail of a fish that I made with pastels last year...

9757wYf.jpg

Since college is over for this semester A in chemistry! W00T! I can devote more time to these drawings, and maybe make a few in glorious Technicolor. Trying various new art media would be helpful, and I think I'll give it a go.

...and yes, as soon as I've exhausted my supply of debris (which won't take long at the rate I'm going), I'm thinking of taking suggestions.

New drawing coming in a day or two, and I'll try to honor your suggestions the best I can.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.