Attach items in cargo bays

Am I missing something? Recently I have started making Space planes (shuttles) and I am having a heck of time of getting any type of cargo to attach to any docking port in the cargo bay in the VAB or SPH. Usually I am able to attach two face to face (for rockets), but after trying it for the past 8 hours over two days I've got "buckus". Is there a "trick" that I am missing?

Thanks!

try hitting the C key a few times, sometimes switching between symmetrical and free select can unstick. Try placing an object about where you want it, then rotate it with your keys - it usually turns green :)

I like to place a BZ-52 on the outside of my spaceplane and build the payload out in the open. Then I just pick the whole assembly up by the BZ-52 and attach it to the inside of the cargo bay. If the cargo is heavy I add struts to keep it from shifting around.

I place my BZ-52 inside my cargobays, along the bulkhead wall, with the autosnap feature turned off, (the hex to circle) and align it visually. Then I put a docking port on the BZ-52 so I can dock things to it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You can see in that picture that I have a docking port senior attached to the BZ-52.

LSI SpaceJunk Cargo Bays (robodyne) included his own docking port that was intended to be mounted inside his cargo bays. might be worth checking out. (i'm not sure if its any different to the stock ones)

1.03 - Added docking port which is not capable of surface attachment for easier use inside the cargo bays.

Sometimes I find it best to build the payload outside of the bay, then pick the root part and attach the whole thing in one click. And there is a trick to rotating the camera to look from inside the bay out. This makes snapping the whole payload into the bay easier.

Sometimes I find it best to build the payload outside of the bay, then pick the root part and attach the whole thing in one click. And there is a trick to rotating the camera to look from inside the bay out. This makes snapping the whole payload into the bay easier.

Or instead of the cam-method you can use the editor extentions mod. With it you can disable surface attachment, so the payload can be only node attached.

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but this is still a problem: I'm trying to attach some science stuff inside my cargo bays, but there is NO way to get them to stick to the attach nodes. They flip around, attach to the bottom, clip through the bay... Basically do everything except attach where I want them to! Is there a way to do this in the stock game, or do I have to get a mod just to build a simple airplane?

Pressing ALT while dragging around a part disables surface attachment. This restricts docking ports to only being attached to other docking ports.

Yep, problem solved! Can't believe I've been playing this game for four years, and still learn new stuff about it every day :).

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.