[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

Pretty exciting stuff, Kart! I've always had a soft spot for the design of the Delta II 7000 Heavy and the "skirt" of GEM-46's. SLC-2 for Delta II's at Vandy is a pretty cool place too since it's basically deserted and has a great overlook of the beach. 

On Thursday, June 02, 2016 at 0:52 AM, awang said:

Is there a reason this isn't already on CKAN? And if not, would you mind if I set up an entry for it?

I didn't really care for CKAN honestly. I'd be greatful if you could set that up, let me know of I need to do anything in order to make it work.

@Jamesstewart97

Yes, though I'm waiting for an official word by SpaceX on how they will actually do it. They mentioned sonething with parachutes/paraglider and automatic, but I'd rather get it done properly on the first try, so I'll still be waiting a while until they release mpre information about it. :)

I think they would probably use a parachute mounted on the upper edge of the fairing inner wall. This way the parachute wouldn't come into contact with the payload and would provide easy recovery (SpaceX could probably snatch it out of the air with a helicopter or something like that).

6 hours ago, Treble Sketch said:

The payload fairings for the Falcon 9 Full Thrust doesn't seem to be detachable, it doesn't come up on the staging sequence as well.

Not sure if it is that my KSP is broken or I don't have all the require mods :\

Thanks~

Do you have Felbourn's Old School Fairings mod installed? The fairings will not work properly if this mod is not installed.

1 hour ago, mark7 said:

Awesome!

BTW, I am working on the Chinese Pack Continued. Since I am a green hand at modeling, I wanna ask how many faces for each part do you set? THX

I usually make mine 24 sides so that they fit easily with the stock parts, but for mods that don't use stock sizes, 32 sides or 64 sides usually does the trick.

5 hours ago, mark7 said:

Awesome!

BTW, I am working on the Chinese Pack Continued. Since I am a green hand at modeling, I wanna ask how many faces for each part do you set? THX

I've switched to 48 sides instead of the stock 24 for this mod. Sometimes I also make like 1.25m parts 24 sides, but usually I do 48 sides, to make it look nice and roundish. ^^

9 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

I've switched to 48 sides instead of the stock 24 for this mod. Sometimes I also make like 1.25m parts 24 sides, but usually I do 48 sides, to make it look nice and roundish. ^^

13 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

I usually make mine 24 sides so that they fit easily with the stock parts, but for mods that don't use stock sizes, 32 sides or 64 sides usually does the trick.

Thank you guys~

On 6/7/2016 at 1:22 AM, Kartoffelkuchen said:

I did the same thing for RSB (mostly), and the 7.5m parts in SpaceY-Expanded. It gives a nice round appearance, and still is divisible by 12 to match all of the angle-snaps in the VAB. I think it's the "best bang for the buck" so to speak. :)

24 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

I did the same thing for RSB (mostly), and the 7.5m parts in SpaceY-Expanded. It gives a nice round appearance, and still is divisible by 12 to match all of the angle-snaps in the VAB. I think it's the "best bang for the buck" so to speak. :)

I'm considering switching for my Saturn parts. My only worry is compatibility. The largest parts I have - 3.75 - are still using 24 and it's definitely strained. I was thinking that anything bigger would be made at 48, but then I'd have to adapt the two sets of faces.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm considering switching for my Saturn parts. My only worry is compatibility. The largest parts I have - 3.75 - are still using 24 and it's definitely strained. I was thinking that anything bigger would be made at 48, but then I'd have to adapt the two sets of faces.

Yeah, I've run into that as well. In SpaceY-Lifters I stuck to 24, even at the 5m size, and I'm regretting that now. For RSB I only went down to 24 faces for the smaller parts, like the Castor SRBs and the like. I did 24 faces for the Delta II, but the Delta III is 48 at the top, so it converts within the first stage. Mixing face counts definitely complicates things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2016 at 1:25 AM, Delta_8930 said:

Do you have Felbourn's Old School Fairings mod installed? The fairings will not work properly if this mod is not installed.

Yeah, it works now! Thanks ^^"

I don't think I copied all the files of the mod over when I installed it >.>

Was in such a rush that day, thanks for helping! :D

@Kartoffelkuchen you gave the estimated times to do stage-sep and such for the Falcon-9 stage-1 landing. Can you please provide similar guidelines for the Falcon-Heavy on when to separate the two side-boosters, and when to separate the core booster and when to start and stop each of the boostback, re-entry, and landing-burns for a Falcon-Heavy launch?

1 hour ago, Haxorlols said:

Do you plan to make the BFR/MCT?

Yeah, @Cheesecake is right about this. I have no plans to work on those until the official announcement has been made (in September?, I knew it!). Though once concrete information on the topic has been released, I'll definetely work on these!! :)

@StevieC That's a little hard to say, but I'd say (i don't know by hard right now), you need about 25% less fuel for the two boosters for a RTLS and max. 1000 units of fuel for a ballistic downrange landing for the core (approximately 300 units of fuel at max. for a three-engine hoverslam and the remaining 700 units for the reentry burn).

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

1 hour ago, StevieC said:

@KartoffelkuchenThanks that helps a lot. One other problem I've been having with the Falcon-9 is that after I separate the first-stage, the second stage always seems to insist on tumbling end-over-end. Does that mean I'm loading too heavy a payload?

Try launching at a steeper trajectory. Start to pitch over later than usual. That's what worked for me. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.