[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

21 hours ago, Shaikhaanshai1 said:

How do you land it?

You have a point here.

The booster is meant to be reusable but it has no landing legs or anything.

In the presentation video made by spaceX, the booster just seems to pinpoint the launchpad and settle on a sort of "mount" that stays there... Tricky right ?

This looks even harder than landing on one of the ASDS, but maybe with a well-written kOS script and a little help from the lateral thrusters, one could pull it off.

Then I was wondering Kartoffelkuchen, do you intend to do design some 'part' for landing ? Big landing legs would be easy but kind of unrealistic, and a launchpad 'mount' would be extremely hard to pinpoint but also extremely rewarding when you can manage it :) !

Anyway, you're doing awesome job, keep it going and many thx :)

1 hour ago, lBoBl said:

You have a point here.

The booster is meant to be reusable but it has no landing legs or anything.

In the presentation video made by spaceX, the booster just seems to pinpoint the launchpad and settle on a sort of "mount" that stays there... Tricky right ?

This looks even harder than landing on one of the ASDS, but maybe with a well-written kOS script and a little help from the lateral thrusters, one could pull it off.

Then I was wondering Kartoffelkuchen, do you intend to do design some 'part' for landing ? Big landing legs would be easy but kind of unrealistic, and a launchpad 'mount' would be extremely hard to pinpoint but also extremely rewarding when you can manage it :) !

Anyway, you're doing awesome job, keep it going and many thx :)

I thought about some options there.

Landing legs is a no go, I won't do that for realism purpose, but I will model the "mount" where it lands on/in. 

This sounds hard at first, BUT!: I'll do a little bit of magic with the colliders. I'lö arrange them in a way that they provide a kind of "funnel" so that the stage kinda "slides in". Willhave to see how that works, it's nevertheless very hard, but doable.

@MurdoxYup, HE will be extremely helpful :D Thank you! :)

1 hour ago, Shaikhaanshai1 said:

How does second stage landing legs work?

They're not actually "real" landing legs, just some animated colliders, so no suspension. I don't know how to do them properly, and didn't have the motivation to do so, since the way landing legs are set up changed with every update, kinda. I'll rework them when I have an idea of how to make it properly.

1 hour ago, Jamesstewart97 said:

Any plans to include the crane showed in the presentation video as part of the launch mount? Would be amazing to have an actual reusable rocket in KSP! :) 

I would love to do so, but I have zeeero idea of how to do it. So a static tower, yes, maybe with some animations, but not more for now.

7 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

I would love to do so, but I have zeeero idea of how to do it. So a static tower, yes, maybe with some animations, but not more for now.

Please do not ask how this would work but possibly a combination of KAS for the chain and pulling mechanism and some sort of animation may work as well as an invisable docking port or asteroid grabber for the crane. A docking port on the tank and vessal would allow for the connecting rather than a decoupler. However, I don't think that would work with the engines unless you had a seperator between the engines and docking ports.

15 minutes ago, Shaikhaanshai1 said:

Does the falcon 9 first stage change texture during flight

Not exactly. You can change it during flight though, you'll need firespitter for this.

4 minutes ago, Wardstone111 said:

Please do not ask how this would work but possibly a combination of KAS for the chain and pulling mechanism and some sort of animation may work as well as an invisable docking port or asteroid grabber for the crane. A docking port on the tank and vessal would allow for the connecting rather than a decoupler. However, I don't think that would work with the engines unless you had a seperator between the engines and docking ports.

Yeah, I thought of something like that too, but that'd going to be reaaally complicated, and I'd like to concentrate more on the things you actually fly instead of wasting time on a super accurate, fully functional tower. If there's a relatively low-effort way of doing it, I'll do, otherwise, no. :wink:

5 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Yeah, I thought of something like that too, but that'd going to be reaaally complicated, and I'd like to concentrate more on the things you actually fly instead of wasting time on a super accurate, fully functional tower. If there's a relatively low-effort way of doing it, I'll do, otherwise, no. :wink:

If you'd like to focus on the ITS itself, I can work on the launch pad and tower as part of my Launch Towers Pack.

20 minutes ago, NexxusWolf said:

Hey i've been having a bit of troubles with the fairings on the Falcon 9, they just wont work and dont show as decouplers. Ive tried removing all mods except this one and even started with a fresh install but still had the same problem. Dont know whats up :/

You need old school fairings.

On 11/10/2016 at 3:47 PM, Kartoffelkuchen said:

I thought about some options there.

Landing legs is a no go, I won't do that for realism purpose, but I will model the "mount" where it lands on/in. 

This sounds hard at first, BUT!: I'll do a little bit of magic with the colliders. I'lö arrange them in a way that they provide a kind of "funnel" so that the stage kinda "slides in". Willhave to see how that works, it's nevertheless very hard, but doable.

@MurdoxYup, HE will be extremely helpful :D Thank you! :)

That souds awesome ! I had no idea you could do such a "magic funnel", but it sounds fun :) 

And I think that landing this epic, huge booster ought to be hard anyways :wink: 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.