[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

I don't know if it's you are someone ever at RO that made the change, but someone reduced the max temp and skin temp of the Raptor engines down to ~640 in the RO config which considering heat shields in KSP don't work unless you are in front of the craft in line with the craft it means that the engines will always burn up on reentry even if you do put a heat shielded skirt around them. I personally only needed to increase the skin and max temp to 1000 and 1200 as I am reentering with large wings, large, empty, relatively light tank to reenter, but with an actual Super Heavy / Starship config you would likely need to increase that to ~2000.

I also posted this on RO's KSP.com forum page.

Edited by etheoma

uxdiU8s.pngrLpUfaw.png

I'm so hyped to share this one with you guys. The capsule is mostly textured, I'm working on the trunk now. Compared to the last two screenshots you saw, I've improved the geometry of the capsule to match the real Dragon more (e.g. I've made the Superdraco housings less round) and the RCS nozzle size has been increased by about 30%. I've also removed the side windows @damonvv :P

I am planning to add an IVA, I'll need to think about how I will implement that one since the 4m size the capsule has is too big for a sensible kerbal capsule IVA, but I'll figure it out. Doing the parachutes could get interesting however, I've never done those before.

@etheoma Good that you posted in the RO thread about that, they'll take care of it.

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

11 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

rLpUfaw.png

I'm so hyped to share this one with you guys. The capsule is mostly textured, I'm working on the trunk now. Compared to the last two screenshots you saw, I've improved the geometry of the capsule to match the real Dragon more (e.g. I've made the Superdraco housings less round) and the RCS nozzle size has been increased by about 30%. I've also removed the side windows @damonvv :P

Oommgg:wub: Are you planning to keep the heatshield black or will you eventually make it more pica like?

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

Oommgg:wub: Are you planning to keep the heatshield black or will you eventually make it more pica like?

Pica like as in looking more "metallic" like in this picture?

Spoiler

DM1-stardom-986x720.png

Yeah, I will add this as an alternative texture variant. I personally just love the way the dragon looks with the black heat shield, so black will be the default variant.

yZ98rlT.png

This is not a proper render, just a quick screenshot I took to demonstrate. It will look much better once I apply the proper materials etc.

@Virtualgenius Thank You, I will check out how to implement that.

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

iXfBap2.png

Textures are almost done now! I've also used the day to learn how to make parachutes, so that's one thing less to worry about. :)

zBDOodn.png

@VoidCosmos Well why don't you give it a try and see if it still works and then let me know?

@Cheesecake The docking port should actually fit the stock docking ports quite nicely, but I'll see. As for Dragon 2 Cargo, probably yes, but I need to see what it looks like first before I can promiss anything. Dunno about making a Dragon 1 though, if I find the motivation, sure why not. But for now I'll focus on the Crew Dragon and on upgrading my Falcon 9 and Heavy.

@CocoaGames It will definetely be in time for the DM-2 launch. ;)

I hope you are as hyped as me for this release lol.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, VoidCosmos said:

It works perfectly

The Starliner mod you made fits for me on the atlas pack in 1.9.1

@Kartoffelkuchen when do you expect the Dragon 2 and upgraded F9 and FH will be added?

Also @alberro+ I guess it will have the same radius as Dragon 1 and similar height.

Edited by Kraken that doesn't exist

On 4/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, alberro+ said:

Also, How large is the capsule?

The capsule has a diameter of almost 4m, the trunk 5m (including its fins). Height of the stack is 8.2m. I'm thinking about offering a scaled down variant of the SpaceX pack as well though, so that it fits the stock parts more. Size would be 2.5m then.

4 hours ago, Kraken that doesn't exist said:

The Starliner mod you made fits for me on the atlas pack in 1.9.1

@Kartoffelkuchen when do you expect the Dragon 2 and upgraded F9 and FH will be added?

Also @alberro+ I guess it will have the same radius as Dragon 1 and similar height.

Great to know that the Atlas pack still works, I'll make sure to update its KSP compatibility on Spacedock then.

I am not sure yet when this will be released, but it *will* be on time for the DM-2 launch though, promised! :P  It totally depends on how crazy I want to go with the detailing, what you see in the render above is what you'd get right now, which is a good start but with lots of room for improvement.

I've improved the geometry of the engine nacelles once again, added the superdracos to the capsule and am now working on the inside of the trunk. Once that is done, I will work on the parachutes, then push everything through Unity, set up the configs and then work on the IVA. So there's still lots of stuff to do for me. :)

2 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

I am not sure yet when this will be released, but it *will* be on time for the DM-2 launch though, promised! :P  It totally depends on how crazy I want to go with the detailing, what you see in the render above is what you'd get right now, which is a good start but with lots of room for improvement.

So it could be in a minute or May 26th is what you said? Got it.

18 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

I am sure many would love to test a beta for you if you wanted to release a test version while you streamline the prod version 

If he chose me to be a tester I would test it without hesitation

Normally: :P

When I am aloud to test a mod: :targetpro:

Edited by Kraken that doesn't exist

7 hours ago, Spaceman20290 said:

@Kartoffelkuchen is there any way you might be able to add parachutes and equipment for fairing recovery to the SpaceX mod later on? That would be pretty cool.

Yes! And you need to remove the empty space between the @ and the name :)

Lots of progress has been done! I improved the capsule even more and properly integrated the drogue and main parachute bay now as you can see in the image below (the main parachute door is still missing but you get the idea). Almost all parts are in the game as of right now (except for the main chutes, still working on that), so far everything is sorted out. Aerodynamic behaviour is working well, solar panel is generating power as it should, all animations are working (trunk umbilical disconnect, nosecone opening). :) IVA will take the most time from now on I think. Textures are not done yet though!

znygoNp.png

Xr7XdRC.pngDwXRlOR.png

1 hour ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Yes! And you need to remove the empty space between the @ and the name :)

Lots of progress has been done! I improved the capsule even more and properly integrated the drogue and main parachute bay now as you can see in the image below (the main parachute door is still missing but you get the idea). Almost all parts are in the game as of right now (except for the main chutes, still working on that), so far everything is sorted out. Aerodynamic behaviour is working well, solar panel is generating power as it should, all animations are working (trunk umbilical disconnect, nosecone opening). :) IVA will take the most time from now on I think. Textures are not done yet though!

znygoNp.png

Xr7XdRC.pngDwXRlOR.png

That looks amazing!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.