[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

DarthVader:

1. The Delta-K doesn't have any command function. So if anything else attached to it does, and there is any sort of power, OR if the command function is set to not require any power, the RCS will still function. As a part the Delta-K itself only has engine, rcs, and tanks. If you provided a craft file with your test, I can tell you more why you think there is an error somewhere.

2. Not a bug. Per say, you've just be 'kerbalized' into thinking an engine should perform a certain way. The RD-180 has a minimum thrust of 50%. The only way to shut it down is to actually shut it down, not just zero the thrust.

Wow, totally ninjad.

Oh, BTW Kartoffelkuchen, raidernick has brought the proton back to life, and has already modeled the Blok DM-03 and the Briz-M, just needs textures.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

DarthVader. Stock with those 3 parts there is only going to be 120Ec available. The payload adapter, guidance, and the Delta-K, when EC = 0 there is no control. From what I can tell, something may be modifying your install. So a craft file and a proper log file would be appreciated.

Hey, we, or Dragon01 is working on adapting the Pack for Version 1.0, but it will take a long amount of time, probably. Mainly, because we will need to find a workaround for the Fairings, I thought we could use the ModuleCargoBay - Partmodule for preventing the parts inside the fairing to be calculated by the physics, but that's probably not going to work. We will see, probably we will need a plugin for that. :sealed:

Anyway, I am continueing my work on Delta IV, mainly on the bottom of CBC, it is very hard to do. Also, Dragon01 said that there wouldn't be a Falcon 9 V.1.0 out here, I know LazTeks SpaceX Pack, but there's no Falcon 9 1.0 anymore, so...yeah:

l0qhJM6.png

7u2d9Q0.png

The Merlin 1C engines you can see there are not more than placeholders, I will remake them, those will be also used for the Falcon 1 later, when I will remake that one. I hope you like it guys! :)

Procedural Fairings works/worked so there has to be some way to get fairings to work, I'd think. Or just make the upcoming nuFAR a requirement that will resolve all the BS that SQUAD has thrown 3rd party developers when it comes to drag and airflow. If a plugin has to otherwise be required, I'd just assume use more realistic aerodynamics of nuFAR and leave it at that.

Thanks Nathan! :]

Bad news everyone:

This pack won't be updated until a possibility for proper Fairings is around . I am sorry to say this, but without proper Fairings we won't be able to even start out rebalancing the rockets, so no 1.0 support. If anyone wants to make a plugin allowing real fairings, I and many others would be very grateful! :)

I will still work on the models and textures though, the release/patch just delays for an unknown amount of time.

Kartoffelkuchen you can go ahead and balance it anyway. It's no different than before where fairings were just decorative in all previous KSP versions. I tried launching my rockets with the stock fairing on top and it made VERY little difference in the amount of DV consumed versus having the real fairings attached. The rocket spends so little time in the lower atmosphere you aren't really losing any DV to drag because of the fairing, especially considering how heavy the damn stock fairings are.

You can balance it and once someone makes a plugin the extra DV you gain won't require a rebalance again as it will be insignificant.

Kartoffelkuchen. Hey there...I know it'd be a temporary fix until something is done to get 2 piece fairings to work, BUT, you could make a fairing model, that's one piece, that can be used temporarily, even release it as a fantasy part later if you want, that should allow testing to be done in the mean time to at least balance things, that way most things are done config wise and the pack can be released right away once a proper solution is done.

Both interesting and good suggstions, I will try that. I also just came up with the idea of making the fairings animated, meaning that everything is simply one animated part. When the animation starts, the two fairing sides just flow away, that should make the use of the modulecargobay possible, maybe. Will try that out, though it is really a shame we need to solve the problem like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I *wondered* whyt everyone had been lagging on static fairings. As if they broke that, how stupid D:

Can you not slum it and balance it using PFairing fairings for now? I know it'll probably look horrid but at least we can get MOST of the rocket back in the game and balanced? :)

He probably could if he wanted, but why waste the time to 'design' a new way to get around a horrible stock bug with an even horrible solution, when he and the rest of us can wait patiently for proper implementation. If you have a problem, I say go to SQUAD and tell them to fix it. Not force developers to turn to hack solutions.

Seriously, if you want things so bad, use FAR. WAY better aerodynamics and no flawed fairing BS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, did some progress on SpaceX's Merlin 1C which will be used on my Falcon 9 V.1.0 and for the Falcon 1 when it will get a remake, which will take place soon. I hope so at least. :)

Edit: It looks like the model looks a bit liquid here and there, and there are some strange looking parts. Ignore them, it has to be a problem with the Sketchfab upload, at least I don't have those issues in my blend file. ;)

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

I am finishing Delta IVs CBC right now, and I am really pleased with it, I have to say. One note though: The bottom ("boattail") is not 100% realistic, I have made it an "easy", symmetric shape. If you watch more closely on an image of the real bottom, you can see that it is a really complicated, asymmetrical shape. I wasn't able to replicate that until now, so we will just be using the easier shape until I get something better, to speed the process up, Delta IV was in development now long enough! Also, there are some small issues with it, which you can only see if you watch very closely, this has something to do with a modelling mistake I made earlier, and I couldn't fix it without redoing the whole bottom, and really, I didn't want to do that.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Oh and also, I am configuring the rockets for 1.0, and even with the fact that the Fairings are broken, the rockets fly better than expected!

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

iTuwJGV.png

5CFvywm.png

Yes, this is what I would call a proper end-result. Sorry, I couldn't upload the Delta IV Heavy to Sketchfab, it was 0.2mb too big for a normal sketchfab upload. :P (Don't mind model issues, I rechecked the files and the issues you see on the upload is not existing in my files!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.