[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

I have remade the textures of the Atlas V first stage. In my eyes, it looks much better now, not so painted anymore, and it matches the real CCB better:

VmhOWyK.png

vWc9i3I.png

gW6qorU.png

I am somehow really proud of me there. :blush:

So, Delta II and Atlas V 4xx are ready, BUT the Atlas V 500 version not. Why? It's so simple: The Fairings are so big, and not working, they just make the vehicle flip over. I didn't get it into orbit a single time. :sealed: So yeah, we will hold back the new version for a bit longer, sorry sorry sorry, I would love to release it, but we'll better wait, until we have a solution.

I will overhaul and improve textures for the next days.

I have remade the textures of the Atlas V first stage. In my eyes, it looks much better now, not so painted anymore, and it matches the real CCB better:

http://i.imgur.com/VmhOWyK.png

http://i.imgur.com/vWc9i3I.png

http://i.imgur.com/gW6qorU.png

I am somehow really proud of me there. :blush:

So, Delta II and Atlas V 4xx are ready, BUT the Atlas V 500 version not. Why? It's so simple: The Fairings are so big, and not working, they just make the vehicle flip over. I didn't get it into orbit a single time. :sealed: So yeah, we will hold back the new version for a bit longer, sorry sorry sorry, I would love to release it, but we'll better wait, until we have a solution.

I will overhaul and improve textures for the next days.

it looks alot better, I have seen the Atlas v in person... well every time it launches.. :P, and I just need to say, that looks just like it!!! way to go Kartoffelkuchen

Edited by Tristonwilson12

We found a solution!

Hell yeah! We found a solution for the Fairing issue! Or more, Thomas P. found one! I've asked him to make a plugin, which shields parts based on the collider of the Fairing. He noticed that the automatically generated Dragcubes of the Fairings were completely off, and this made the rocket flip everytime when I tried to launch it. Then, he came up with the idea of completely disabling the Aerodynamics for the part which has that partmodule in its .cfg, and I've added that now to every Fairing, and now, all rockets fly super easy! It's kind of cheaty, but I haven't experienced any bugs, and as long as it works, I'm happy.

Stay tuned for a soon Update! SOOOOOON!

x3lWr60.png

We found a solution!

Hell yeah! We found a solution for the Fairing issue! Or more, Thomas P. found one! I've asked him to make a plugin, which shields parts based on the collider of the Fairing. He noticed that the automatically generated Dragcubes of the Fairings were completely off, and this made the rocket flip everytime when I tried to launch it. Then, he came up with the idea of completely disabling the Aerodynamics for the part which has that partmodule in its .cfg, and I've added that now to every Fairing, and now, all rockets fly super easy! It's kind of cheaty, but I haven't experienced any bugs, and as long as it works, I'm happy.

Stay tuned for a soon Update! SOOOOOON!

http://i.imgur.com/x3lWr60.png

Hooray! I can't imagine you can make some kind of version to have as little dependencies as possible, eh? I just want the rocket, not all of these random plugins...

Hooray! I can't imagine you can make some kind of version to have as little dependencies as possible, eh? I just want the rocket, not all of these random plugins...

Sorry, this plugin from Thomas P. will be a dependency. Really, trust me, you wouldn't get the Atlas V to Orbit without it. +, it makes all the rockets way more stable. ;) As for the other (old) depencies, like smokescreen, I will change to using Stock particles, simply because of the feedback we got about that FX, and offer a smokescreen file as alternative, if you want that more. So yeah, apart from Thomas' plugin there won't be any other depency. :)

Sorry, this plugin from Thomas P. will be a dependency. Really, trust me, you wouldn't get the Atlas V to Orbit without it. +, it makes all the rockets way more stable. ;) As for the other (old) depencies, like smokescreen, I will change to using Stock particles, simply because of the feedback we got about that FX, and offer a smokescreen file as alternative, if you want that more. So yeah, apart from Thomas' plugin there won't be any other depency. :)

Ah, okay, that's not that bad.

Great, the hard part is done! Every rocket is now properly configured, and can lift 64% of their real life "brother" ( :P ) to LKO. Now, I only have to make all the different versions (yay :P), write a manual and prepare everything. I am expecting the new version to be released by the end of this week, so get ready, build your probes! :D

Great, the hard part is done! Every rocket is now properly configured, and can lift 64% of their real life "brother" ( :P ) to LKO. Now, I only have to make all the different versions (yay :P), write a manual and prepare everything. I am expecting the new version to be released by the end of this week, so get ready, build your probes! :D

This is great news as we have been using your Atlas V to lift our CST-100: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132070-WIP-1-0-4-CST-100-Replica-3-75m-7-Seat-Crew-Vehicle%21

Hey Kartoffelkuchen, I couldn't find a better place to ask you this but I was wondering if you could implement some quick changes I'm recommending to make your Antares mod more realistic? Could you change the interstage with the Orbital logo on it into a decoupler? As with the real rocket the first stage falls away as the fairings and the second stage coast to apogee, where the fairings are jettisoned and the second stage is launched, rather than the whole stack coasting to apogee.

Edited by Quarky

Yes, I will do that, thanks for reminding me Quarky. Originally, I wanted to do that right away, but due to a bug with that part being a decoupler I couldn't solve I said that I'd just make it different. I will change that soon. ;)

Here's a short video showing off the new sounds I added for the Merlin 1C engine:

Yes, I will do that, thanks for reminding me Quarky. Originally, I wanted to do that right away, but due to a bug with that part being a decoupler I couldn't solve I said that I'd just make it different. I will change that soon. ;)

Here's a short video showing off the new sounds I added for the Merlin 1C engine:

Thanks a bunch, and those sound effects are eargasmic.

Just another quick question though, what is causing me not to be able to attach the fairings in your ULA launchers pack? I installed Bob's Old School Fairings prerelease and it didn't seem to work. Basically I take the fairings off to build a payload and then the fairings won't reattach to the side node.

Haha thanks! :D

Yeah, that's simply because the file you can download is not compatible with KSP 1.0.3+. I am just preparing the first page for tomorrows update, that I don't have to write all that in the last minutes. When I release the update, you can use it in KSP 1.0.3+, but right now, it's still incompatible, even if you install the requirements. Sorry for any misunderstandings there. ;)

Haha thanks! :D

Yeah, that's simply because the file you can download is not compatible with KSP 1.0.3+. I am just preparing the first page for tomorrows update, that I don't have to write all that in the last minutes. When I release the update, you can use it in KSP 1.0.3+, but right now, it's still incompatible, even if you install the requirements. Sorry for any misunderstandings there. ;)

Ah thanks. Sorry for nagging you!

Version 5 released! Finally, 1.0.3+ compatability!

Changelog:

• KSP 1.0.3+ compatability
  • Remade Falcon 1

Download the update from Kerbalstuff

WARNING: REMOVE ANY OLDER VERSIONS BEFORE INSTALLING!

WARNING: THIS UPDATE IS SAVEFILE-BREAKING! REMOVE ANY PART FROM THIS YOU CURRENTLY HAVE IN YOUR SAVEGAME!

Been doing some testing and mostly everything looks good so far, except for some time warp glitches with the fairings (which was to be expected). One worry I have is that the Delta II upper stage has barely any thrust, and orbiting is impossible with the recommended efficient ascent. I went 45 degrees to space the whole time and couldn't even get it to orbit then. Should I just tweak the config? It could also use more fuel, as even if you increased the thrust it wouldn't make orbit with heavier payloads augmented with the turntable and 48B. I also think you should increase the burn time on the ground lit boosters.

Been doing some testing and mostly everything looks good so far, except for some time warp glitches with the fairings (which was to be expected). One worry I have is that the Delta II upper stage has barely any thrust, and orbiting is impossible with the recommended efficient ascent. I went 45 degrees to space the whole time and couldn't even get it to orbit then. Should I just tweak the config? It could also use more fuel, as even if you increased the thrust it wouldn't make orbit with heavier payloads augmented with the turntable and 48B. I also think you should increase the burn time on the ground lit boosters.

As with these rockets real world counterparts you need to pay attention to how heavy your payloads are. The rockets in this pack have specific payload capacities, so if your payload is 4 tonnes over-weight, the upper stages will most likely struggle with getting them into orbit as the deltaV and TWR will decrease dramatically.

Also, if your payloads are within the lifters limit and you are still struggeling with getting them into orbit, try for a much steeper launch profile. Sometimes it can be wise to aim for 45 degree prograde at 30-35km altitude with low-powered upper stages :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.