[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

On 27.9.2016 at 11:15 PM, Kartoffelkuchen said:

SNIP- expected development time: about 2 months (everything), I think about 2 weeks for raptor. Let's hope I'll be better at Meeting timelines than SpaceX (FH *cough*)

You liar! :P You've damn near finished the entire modeling part of the development phase in less than a week, you've already got parts in the game and the texturing is technically 50% done as most of the thing is just plain white. The progress thus far looks amazing man! Keep it up! Also have fun adding 42 "node_stack_bottom =" in the cfg file :cool:

1 hour ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Finished modelling the booster:

http://i.imgur.com/tHm9qWk.png

*Edit*

Oh, and just for fun, here is the ICT booster next to the Falcon 9 Full Thrust! :P

PxXTFFh.png

WOW!!!!!!

Question: Will there actually be 42 attachment points at the bottom of the booster, or will you make then engine section 1 part to maybe save a few frames :wink:

Edited by FutureMartian97

1 hour ago, FutureMartian97 said:

WOW!!!!!!

Question: Will there actually be 42 attachment points at the bottom of the booster, or will you make then engine section 1 part to maybe save a few frames :wink:

I honestly don't know yet. I'll make a few tests with 42 Raptors, each being a single part, and see how that works out. If I decide to combine the engines, I will make the clusters, but will also preserve the single engines as their own part so these engines can still be used on other constructions too. :)

@heliobyte I'm sorry! ;( Don't trust timelines, even though it turned out being positively different in the end, heh! We'll see about the last part! :P

Well this thing is gigantic.The booster alone doesn't even fit into the VAB! :o

http://i.imgur.com/25rDJaD.png

http://i.imgur.com/BvLFOZF.png

Got all components for the Booster done and in KSP, I am still experimenting with the gridfins a little bit right now, but they're working. Now on to doing the Spaceship! Thankfully I got holidays now...

Edit: The images are squished, click on them to see them in full resolution. :)

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

36 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Well this thing is gigantic.The booster alone doesn't even fit into the VAB! :o

http://i.imgur.com/25rDJaD.png

http://i.imgur.com/BvLFOZF.png

Got all components for the Booster done and in KSP, I am still experimenting with the gridfins a little bit right now, but they're working. Now on to doing the Spaceship! Thankfully I got holidays now...

Edit: The images are squished, click on them to see them in full resolution. :)

How?? Kart you wizard!!

17 minutes ago, Turtles4Life said:

Is that all one part? I personally think you should do individual engines and maybe a propellant tank under the main one with fuel to recover it? Thats just my opinion though. 

No, individual parts. I splitted the booster up into these parts:

--> interstage, fuel tank, interstage RCS, gridfins, Raptor outer circle, Raptor inner circle, Raptor center cluster

I did some tests, with 42 Raptors you need to attach individually (so yes, 42 parts), and then set the engines up the way I did now, outer circle, inner circle and center cluster. So only 3 parts for the engines of the booster, it really improves fps. However, I will also include the single Raptor engines, for use in other constructions. :wink:

Regarding the "second" propellant tank for recovery, I don't think that's needed. Fuel for boostback is different anyway each time, and I don't think that it's too hard to eyeball the remaining fuel. Thanks for your opinion though. :)

@MajorLeaugeRocketScience That's what you call efficient, german engineering! :P

1 minute ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

No, individual parts. I splitted the booster up into these parts:

--> interstage, fuel tank, interstage RCS, gridfins, Raptor outer circle, Raptor inner circle, Raptor center cluster

I did some tests, with 42 Raptors you need to attach individually (so yes, 42 parts), and then set the engines up the way I did now, outer circle, inner circle and center cluster. So only 3 parts for the engines of the booster, it really improves fps. However, I will also include the single Raptor engines, for use in other constructions. :wink:

Regarding the "second" propellant tank for recovery, I don't think that's needed. Fuel for boostback is different anyway each time, and I don't think that it's too hard to eyeball the remaining fuel. Thanks for your opinion though. :)

@MajorLeaugeRocketScience That's what you call efficient, german engineering! :P

Ah okay, I just dislike eyeballing it for some reason lol

I am excited for the ICT, really looking forward to making it work in RSS.

Speaking of which, I've finally had time to update the RSS config for the Falcon 9 FT thanks to a little storm out in the Atlantic. Should have it out in the next day or two, assuming I don't lose power. Might even make a Methalox upper stage with the current parts in anticipation for that raptor there :wink: Kinda curious if they do an actual methalox second stage, would they scale the engine or simply throttle it? I mean, it is about the same size as a Merlin but I can't imagine them using a full thrust Raptor. A single MDVac is already fairly high thrust for a second stage. Shouldn't get too far off topic though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.