[1.7.2] KK Launchers - Delta, Atlas Pack

Why should ULA sort the Atlas V out? It's their most reliable system, I thought Delta II is getting sorted out, but not the Atlas V...? Anyway, great you like it! :)

Question regarding people using the config file I've posted which replaces FX with Stock: Does the RL-10 produce thrust? Somebody ran into that issue, and I'd like to know if others of you run into that issue too.

And dammit, CRS-6 launch scrubbed. :(

He/she is probably talking about ULAs new "Next Generation Launch System". Saying the Delta IV will be gone by 2020 and the Atlas V by 2030. Basically ULA is hurting because of corporate greed isn't investing enough resources to keep up with the likes of SpaceX who is undercutting them at every turn. Their CEO flat out said they have to make a profit and can't invest enough to make the whole rocket at one time, so they are going to piece it together. Yeah the Delta II is just using whatever 'flight spares' it has available. No longer in production.

Yeah, just off work to catch it, get it pulled up on the phone just as they were starting the abort sequence. BLAH!

MeCripp: sure does sound like it to me. With new American engines and the added ability of dropping it's main engines for mid-air capture and reuse.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

Why should ULA sort the Atlas V out? It's their most reliable system, I thought Delta II is getting sorted out, but not the Atlas V...? Anyway, great you like it! :)

Question regarding people using the config file I've posted which replaces FX with Stock: Does the RL-10 produce thrust? Somebody ran into that issue, and I'd like to know if others of you run into that issue too.

And dammit, CRS-6 launch scrubbed. :(

The last CFG you post is good to go all works thanks.

I know it's really just an evolution, but I found it amusing that this release was right before they announced their new design. To be fair, the only thing that really makes this whole line an Atlas is the Centaur. I guess it's time for a larger tank model and some new engines!

Yeah, but it was really coincidence saabstory88. ;) We'll see if we will pick up the new rocket, right now probably not, maybe later. Don't know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR THOSE OF YOU PLAYING WITH THE STOCK FX CONFIGS

I made a mistake on RL-10s Thrust module, due to that the engine had FX and sound and used fuel, but produced no thrust. This is now fixed, thanks to MeCripp for pointing this out, please redownload the AtlasV Stock FX file, link on post 1. Sorry! ;(

Test flew an atlas 401-EEXPF with raidernicks TDRS-K today. i noticed a few things.

1. Atlas is lacking its own payload separation system, I forgot for my first flight but now use the delta separation system.

2. The EEXPF is a little to narrow at the bottom, clips with the TDRS-K's solar panels and destroys them upon separation

3. SEC lacks the batteries to coast for an hour unpowered as they do in real life, had to extend them to have enough to do my circularization burn.

4. SEC and DEC should be engines and tanks all one part, less confusing.

DarthVader: Are you using the alternate config or the 1:1 config?

1. I agree, The Centaur needs some form of payload separation. Perhaps it's time to model the various actual payload adapters out there.

2. I'd venture to say that's not really Kartoffelkuchen's problem. His stuff is 1:1 replicas, now depending on if you are using the alternate config or not also determines the fix needed.

3. Agreed.

4. No. I disagree, keep them separate. If needed the conical and cylindrical adapters should be made one piece, which makes it much easier to put together.

His fairing size is correct. What is missing is a payload base to hold the tdrs up higher so the bottom of the panels don't intersect with it. Stick something under the TDRS the height of 2 cubic octagonal struts and it will fit inside the fairing perfectly.

DarthVader: Raidernick beat me to it. What I like to use with a lot of rockets without a payload adapter, or a poor one, is Lionheads SLYDA payload adapter. Now I did an experiment with the load in question and using 2x of the SYLDA adapters raises the TDRS so that it properly fits the XEPF. Or like raidernick suggested.

IMO. Here is perhaps where the model could use a bit of tweaking...the Centaur itself should have more of a truncated cone top rather than a rounded one. On which any number of payload adapters could be modeled with a decoupler, and look fantastic.

Kartoffelkuchen: If you want, take a look at THIS if you haven't already:) Couple other good resources for payload adapters as well. Most if not all which can be used as well with your Delta IV and quite possible Delta II.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

flew tdrs today, with the two struts under the separator. a truncated cone the height of two cubic struts would be a good idea. and make the centaur have a probe core (if it doesnt already, i deorbited a centaur after separation today but that might have been mechjeb giving me control).

Hey, I am working on the Delta IV right now, I don't want to play KSP, when a new update is about to get released I have no idea what to do in KSP, so I just continued with ULA's big thing. Currently, I am working on the RS-68 engine, it is not finished, there are still missing some important things, and some things aren't really looking as they should, but I think it is worth to show it already. :)

I hope you will like it so far!

A good quality Ares series would be very welcome to replace BobCats old models. A small request. We've got a decent Proton with DennyTX, and with raidernick declaring his Proton to be dead, pending a willing soul that could texture, what we don't have, or at least I'm not aware of, is a good Blok D/DM and Briz-M upper stage. Any chance after Delta and the maybe Ares to take a crack at it?

I'm SURE you meant CBC (Common Booster Core) and not CCB (Common Core Booster), because you already finished the CCB:P. Why they named those things like that can sure lead to some confusion. Looking a little 'vanilla' but I'm sure the textures will be great as they always have been. Very excited.

Not sure if it was in the plans or not to make those few small tweaks to the Centaur for the Atlas (top more of a truncated cone rather than rounded) and also perhaps making a few payload adapters that can be used with both Atlas and Delta.

Looks Great!, cannot wait to fling my 10 ton payloads out of the solar sytem with the Delta IV Heavy!

2 more things that i think are bugs:

1. Delta-K is still operable even when out of power (coasted for a year to make sure, still could move it with the RCS after main engine depletion, 0 out of 130 Ec.

2. CCB produces thrust even when at 0% throttle. i was testing a AV-H, and it had spun out of control, i throttled the engines down using X but i still had engine FX and each CCB was producing 750 Kn of thrust. (might be a one off, probabbly. Will do more testing).

Edited by DarthVader

I don't know what's going on with Delta K; I will see if that still exists when I make the 1.0 release version

CCB produces thrust until the liquid fuel is depleted, the same with the RS-27, the engines cannot throttle to 0%, the real RD-180 can throttle to about 50% if I remember correctly. But if you are really overshooting your orbit, you can still shutdown the engine by right click. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.