Is the Mun Spinning??? if not Help please

Hi, trying to land on the mun, and every time i am about to touch down [about 350m to go] my nav bal landing yellow roundal suddenly shoots off to some where and when i do touch down, its like the mun is spinning as in our 24hr cycle spin. i end up crashing and rolling for along time.

from the videos i have seen, it isnt any thing like that to land on the mun...i do how ever have a lot of mods running, but they are mainly things like parts stuff also texture manager and mechjeb and engineer.

any help please

many thanks

sam

The yellow retrograde marker moves most likely because you arrested your descent enough that your vertical speed was near 0, and it's switching from retrograde to prograde. Also, does your navball say surface or orbit when on descent? You are probably also touching down on uneven ground (pretty much everywhere on Mun) and are landing relatively hard. What is your touchdown speed? I try to land on Mun at less than 2m/s vertical speed. <1m/s is preferable.

Yes, the navball marker will shoot off sideways when you near zero speed. That's to be expected, since you'll always have some small lateral component to your velocity. The Mun does rotate, but only slowly, slower than Kerbin.

I don't use any mods, unless i'm forced to. Because of that i can't explain the behavior of mecjeb. But:

If your descent rate is below 7 m/s, the marker becomes very sensitive to alterations. Even if it seems that the marker tends to a 90 degree pitch/yaw/roll it is almoust enough to correct the path using the slighty oposite direction.

You may land however (depending on your destination {moon/planet} and craft) with 10 m/s max. But better with less velocity, of course (best 1.3 m/s).

ok thank you everyone, i understand the weird navball thing now...as for the rolling, i think there is a chance that i kept landing on the side of a large crater or mountain [if there is one] hence the side ways multi roll.

gonna have another go [obviously] and try and pick a flat landing spot, rather than just plop down any where.

anyway thank you each for your kind help.

all best

sam

The only time the navball will shoot off to one direction or another is either:

A)You've arrested all directional movement and are resting on what is basically a "needle head" of movement. Changing direction (even a tiny little bit) will cause the movement marker to shoot off.

B)You're hovering over either the north or south pole and the navball can't tell which direction you're going relative to the magnetic pull of the planet.

You describe this happening as you're trying to land (so scenario A) and that's more or less normal. All it means is that you've slowed yourself down to a near (relative) stop. From this point, all you need to do is focus more on vertical velocity rather than horizontal.

ok thank you everyone, i understand the weird navball thing now...as for the rolling, i think there is a chance that i kept landing on the side of a large crater or mountain [if there is one] hence the side ways multi roll.

gonna have another go [obviously] and try and pick a flat landing spot, rather than just plop down any where.

anyway thank you each for your kind help.

all best

sam

There are really good flat spots inside most of the large craters. (And they are a Biome too so you can do science there!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.