DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

I am sincerely hoping this project is either taken over so Darklight can take a break from it all, and of course for my own greedy reasons, like to see career mode have shared funds/science/etc so a friend and I may truly be able to damn each other to bankruptcy in heated attempts to see who can rescue more kerbals from orbit.

Unless this has already been introduced and I'm just looking back a little too far into the thread. All in all though, I love this mod, I need to play it more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give a rundown of the functionality of this mod as of late? A simple list of major limitations would be appreciated. Can two people now dock and swap control of ships without them duping or exploding randomly? etc.. A "Known bugs" section would be great. I've been avoiding this mod like the plague simply from a lack of information of its current limitations, I'm sure that many others are doing the same!

I am sincerely hoping this project is either taken over so Darklight can take a break from it all, and of course for my own greedy reasons, like to see career mode have shared funds/science/etc so a friend and I may truly be able to damn each other to bankruptcy in heated attempts to see who can rescue more kerbals from orbit.

Unless this has already been introduced and I'm just looking back a little too far into the thread. All in all though, I love this mod, I need to play it more often.

I'm really interested in this as well. I'm trying to run a 2 person space program, where one runs the mission control via telemachus and vehicle planning, and the other is a full-on IVA astronaut (with the possibility of a third one running probes, scanning and communications), and without the ability to share a carreer, it would be rather difficult to accomplish

Hey darklight,

How about a new challenge, not DMP related?

I was wondering if you could apply your DMP ghosting technology to help create a mod that allows KSP players to record their play sessions for instant replay playback like World of Tanks and WarThunder do:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123315-Instant-Replay-Mod-Possible-like-WoT-or-Warthunder

Do you think you could draft a mod to do this? It's a highly requested feature by KSP video producers, where sometimes we want to take several camera angles of the same irreproducible scene in KSP such as a landing or mishap. It would be great if KSP had a replay feature. I think DMP struck gold with a solution to this in your ghosting/text file based mod approach.

Thoughts?

Hey darklight,

How about a new challenge, not DMP related?

I was wondering if you could apply your DMP ghosting technology to help create a mod that allows KSP players to record their play sessions for instant replay playback like World of Tanks and WarThunder do:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123315-Instant-Replay-Mod-Possible-like-WoT-or-Warthunder

Do you think you could draft a mod to do this? It's a highly requested feature by KSP video producers, where sometimes we want to take several camera angles of the same irreproducible scene in KSP such as a landing or mishap. It would be great if KSP had a replay feature. I think DMP struck gold with a solution to this in your ghosting/text file based mod approach.

Thoughts?

If you didn't mind preserving the server-client model, it would actually be somewhat trivial to modify a regular DMP server to store universe data and play it back. You could also have a server record universe data for the client to play back without needing a server (slightly more complicated).

Persistant Trails is not a replay in the sense of a whole scene. You cant playback a mun landing mishap in PT and thereby shoot it from a different angle. We are looking for whole scene action playback like Warthunder or World of Tanks.

Just curious, havingan extremely frustrating thing happen with DMP, just started happening, i start the server in career mode, then i come back the next day and it goes to sandbox mode.....i checked the configs and it says career in the configs, any ideas?

Seeing as I have the time I'll reply properly today :P

@CodatheSpaceFox: I've been meaning to add shared science for like half a year, but every time I try to work on groups I get side tracked with actual bugs that exist already :-/.

I'm hoping squad releases a multiplayer feature too so they can do it better than I can - but we'll see. I'll definitely be playing official MP when it comes out - I'll also try to port the public server list infrastructure stuff to the official one.,

@Talavar: I'm well aware of how glitchy DMP is, but it's pretty much a matter of trying it to see if it works. Although the docking code hasn't changed in a while - so it may or may not work.

@zeropositivo: It definitely would be nice for MP to support, but that requires effort/motivation.

@inigma, actually - you probably wouldn't use DMP as a base as the server does not store information/updates at all - it only relays them. However you'd probably need the VesselUpdate/VesselProtoUpdate parts, along with the main update loop for vessels

@Toyotawolf: I've not heard of sandbox switching to career, but I've definitely heard of career mode loss :-/

@Space Cowboy (in case you read it here, PM'ed as well)

Yeah, the mods jumped too quickly on your thread :<

DMP does support 1.0.x, but there's still plenty of bugs around - I've also marked it as inactive but I will support to new version

DMP will also never be integrated into KSP as they have their own people working on it, but they haven't talked about it much :(

Edited by godarklight

Ever have this happen?

lyDzYO1.png

Gp55sEa.png

My buddy and I were using vLAN to play some KSP multiplayer. We ended up creating a Mun "shuttle" that became a permanent addition to the lunar environment after he began rapidly rotating the vehicle, leading to decoupling of the command pod with the service module.

What followed was a series of rapid rotations in order to move around on the surface, all to the tune of "rolling around at the speed of sound".

However, when my partner in space exploration decided to EVA a single Kerbal out of the vehicle during this rapid rotation, what followed can only be described as a kraken-fueled orgy of spaghettified biomass.

I, am traumatized. Thank you for this amazing mod.

Just the other day, I had something funny as well... after quickloading a rover on the Mun (because it was falling through the surface) one too many times, the game crashed and when I restarted it had cloned Valentina Kerman. Except the clone was a boy kerbal (still named Valentina Kerman), was stuck in the surface of the mun, was in a permanent ragdolled state, but was still controllable somehow (he couldn't move, so instead he just flopped around a little). It was almost like some kind of heavily sedated Lutece Twin.

After switching to the clone from the tracking station, he magically got better. But then when he got into a pod with Valentina, he was transformed into Bob Kerman.

83964123F90738532DBBD9370543142FC39A0188

Nicate (and maybe to all "new" users):

Revert and F9-Quickload is not that good Idea with DMP in actual State.

In 49 % it can work, but in 51 % it will "not" work.

OK, yes, it loads/reverts, but the ship-handling-mechanism/routines in DMP

WILL OFTEN get confused/irritated. DMP "like" to begin to do mistakes.

(Doublicated/disappearing Vessels/Kerbals, time-jumps for other players specially

when 2 or more players want to handle same mission/vessel, etc. etc.)

But all of that is quite "easy" to handle/workorund/flyaround.

Never that was reason/s to NOT play DMP ;-)

I could ask, how much masochism we must be to collect thousends of

hours playing KSP/DMP :-D

@Nicate: Valentina took a walk on the wild side :-/. In all seriousness though, that's the kerbal reassigner messing up.

As far as parts go, I've got it sorted in dev and I should be able to tag it as a release today. I'll edit this post when it's up.

@Spacy: Hopefully you read the line above the address/bind config. Leave it as 0.0.0.0 or ::, it means "listen on everything" - It's the clients you need to think about. Connect to localhost/127.0.0.1 on your computer, your friends will connect to your public ip address (a good test is www.canyouseeme.org)

@Jansn: The stock parts are hard coded into DMP - It's been fixed in dev, I'll release it in a bit

@Everyone, looks like the d-mp.org server list is having issues atm, my one is correct.

DMP 0.2.2.1 is now available!

Edited by godarklight

@Toyotawolf: I messed up checking things over in the port - It comes from the custom difficulty setting being enabled - it was a protocol break but we didn't mark it as one and I missed it on the server.

You'll either have to use the latest development version (which atm is literally just release plus that 1 fix for the settings bug), or turn off the custom settings :-/

@Toyotawolf: I messed up checking things over in the port - It comes from the custom difficulty setting being enabled - it was a protocol break but we didn't mark it as one and I missed it on the server.

You'll either have to use the latest development version (which atm is literally just release plus that 1 fix for the settings bug), or turn off the custom settings :-/

Cool i will do that so i think i can find the dev release, so what is the fix? and how do i do it?

Btw no biggie still love this mod, you crazy guys are my heroes

Whenever anyone launches a spaceplane on my server, you lose reputation. This happens even when just launching a spaceplane and recovering immediately. Does anyone else have this issue, could DMP (the only mod that we have installed) cause this?

EDIT: After testing some more I'm not sure it's related to spaceplanes after all. We just randomly lose reputation for no reason, for example I just went to the moon, did some science went back. Had about -250 science before and -500 after.

Edited by Bluestream

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.