DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

@silvanus: While I agree that docking is really important to a multiplayer mod (player-player docking has a certain magic to it :D), it's not the highest priority issue. For example, this one is a pretty bad problem for DMP: http://imgur.com/kzQgabf

@BenVilhaven: If it's on the server console, you need to prepend them with /.

Admins mean they basically have console access to the server - this should almost always be only the server owner, you don't get any other special access.

To spectate a player, just try to fly the ship they are in. I'll probably make a spectate button on the status UI one day, but it needs a bit of a rework.

@DMSP: Hit add server in the main menu - if it didn't show up then the mod is likely not installed correctly, or you're trying to use DMP 0.2.0.x with an older version of KSP.

@Wabbit: You kind of need to understand 2 things to explain time warp, the first is that updates from the past are applied, but updates from the future are held back. So you get this long timeline that plays out as your time passes the time the updates were sent.

The next thing is that players can play in different times - KSP's universe time is locked to the server system clock via something I call a "subspace", it just marks the time to sync to.

When you warp, you create a new subspace that other players can sync to, syncing just jumps your time to theirs :).

This also can cause paradoxes that are currently unsolved - for example, if a player in the future is sitting on the runway, but you're 5 minutes in the past, a time before the other player launched, they won't be there yet. However, on their screen the update has been applied - so they see you moving. You can literally drive through players that are in the future and cause them to explode.

@BenVilhaven: If it's on the server console, you need to prepend them with /.

Admins mean they basically have console access to the server - this should almost always be only the server owner, you don't get any other special access.

To spectate a player, just try to fly the ship they are in. I'll probably make a spectate button on the status UI one day, but it needs a bit of a rework.

Thanks for that

@DMSP: Hit add server in the main menu - if it didn't show up then the mod is likely not installed correctly, or you're trying to use DMP 0.2.0.x with an older version of KSP.

Thanks! Also, how do I make my own DMP server? I have a save that people could play on.

Thanks, DMSP

unstable... and not what i expected as a multi-player.. i dont even call it a multi player, its everyone play on same solar system, but cannot do anything toghether, not follow you as passenger.. im very dissapointed

Well, this is experimental. It is a great achievement in my perspective.

Hi,

ive no idea what youve played but it wasnt DMP :)

you can spactate other players and take pilote their vessels if they dont.

You can interact with other players while youre in the same time (Just click sync).

About setting up a server: Theres a wiki on d-mp.org explaining how to do it.

But baisicly you need some sort of computer (one in a datacenter is prefered but home ones work) and in the case of linux / macos the mono runtime.

JUst dl the server files onto that server. and start it (using the mono runtime "mono your.exe" on linux/macos)

if your behind a firewall or nat dont forget to forward/unblock your server port

optional step: install the reporting plugin (see wiki on d-mp.org for details) to get listed on the server list.

@VITAS @godarklight I just want to say, sorry for asking for help and then just disappearing. Your posts have been tremendously helpful and I think I know how to fix my issues now (the example about subnets was very useful). I broke my PuTTy connection messing around with changing my Pi's ip to one that would be part of the same subnet, but I'm pretty sure I know how to fix it. Hopefully. I'll report back later I guess :wink:

Edited by Spekular

Well, this is interesting :D

XX2a9B8.png

@DMSP/jman508: DMPServer is pretty simple, download it, double click DMPServer and you have a stock server config. If you want to start it off with an existing save, open KSP, and in the DMP options menu there will be a "Generate universe" button. You can then move the Universe folder from KSP to DMPServer.

If you're modded, you'll also want to generate a DMPModControl.txt and move that to the server too.

@aratnamedsammy: DMP still has its fair share of krakens, but I haven't had the guts to call it even beta yet when there are so many problems that are far too easy to run into. For some it works well enough, for others, not so much.

@Spekular: One day I really need to do an IP tutorial to explain how some of this stuff works, It's kind of simple once you know how it works, but there's enough things that are going on all at once that could become confusing.

Ever flew someone else's vessel on a server and thought how neat it would be to download that craft and use it yourself, only to find that they never shared it in their craft library?

Ever launched that perfect ship, but forgot to save your craft file?

Ever visited an old savegame but lost all your craft files, wishing you could build them again?

Fret no more.

Claw developed a neat unlisted addin called InflightShipSave:

https://github.com/ClawKSP/InflightShipSave

Save it to your GameData, then fly your desired ship. Hit F6 to save a rescued copy of your actively piloted vessel as a brand spanking new craft file in your VAB!

I thought the DMP thread would appreciate mention of this tool.

darklight,

Perhaps DMP could incorporate this code? Perhaps allow admins the option of saving every vessel launched on the server in a Server Craft Library?

Edited by inigma

@inigma: I am not sure if the mod should be integrated on DMP, that could be an easy way to steal other people's designs, and people don't always want to share.

So, leaving as is, its up to the server to allow or deny it, a possible complex craft sharing system, with paying for designs and everything could be implemented on the future, having such mod integrated would ruin it.

Unless its toggleable on the server side, ofc.

@inigma: I am not sure if the mod should be integrated on DMP, that could be an easy way to steal other people's designs, and people don't always want to share.

So, leaving as is, its up to the server to allow or deny it, a possible complex craft sharing system, with paying for designs and everything could be implemented on the future, having such mod integrated would ruin it.

Unless its toggleable on the server side, ofc.

It's a great mod for those who build, and fly, but forgot to save their creations or overwrote their craft with something newer and more broken. :)

Help getting the mod to work. Me and some friends where trying to get the mod to work, but none of use seems to be able to connect to the server, that we set up. None of us could connect to the host, at best saying it could not connect due it timing out or that the host was not responding in a timely manor.

None of us could think of anything being done wrong.

host started up the server, and we trying to join, entered the IP and port, but none could connect.

Is it possible to log into your user name on a server from more than one place. Obviously it is at different times. I am at my friends place and want to advance my career, but when I try to log in using my login name all I get is an "Invalid Key for User" response. Ideas?

@nebfer Need more details to offer advice. Are you all on the same LAN or are you connecting through the web? Could be port forwarding or something like that, easy enough to stuff up.

Hi, I cant seem to connect to any sever. it keeps timing out

I've tried a few from the sever list and even a local one. It times out either after "handshaking" or "syncing sever clock"

Im also not sure im entering the information properly in terms of the port after the address with the colon or instead putting it in the port box.

Thanks in advance

@nebfer/Awesome_Guy I'll likely need a log file, I think KSP_folder/KSP.log is fine to use these days. Upload it to a site like www.pastebin.com and paste the link in here (or PM it)

The port goes in the seperate port box, just use the hostname/ip for the address box.

@BenVilhaven: DMP protects player names with a private/public key pair. You need to copy GameData/DarkMultiPlayer/Plugins/Data/[private/public]key.txt to the other computers you wish to use the username from.

@Awesome_Guy: "An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine" is almost always caused by a firewall :-/

@(Someone/Everyone): Looks like there's some issues I have missed with the kerbal experience system that's causing DMP to refuse to join multiplayer servers, I'll attack that one tomorrow ;)

@Everyone, just so you know I haven't been completely slacking off, I've pretty much finished my (much needed) rework on the warp system. "Kicked for creating subspace" is gone, and MCW_LOWEST/SUBSPACE_SIMPLE have finally been implemented. Here's an overview of all the available warp modes: http://imgur.com/a/1hIco

Currently it's in a custom branch while I poke this with a stick until it's mostly bug free, but it's mostly completed :)

@Everyone, just so you know I haven't been completely slacking off, I've pretty much finished my (much needed) rework on the warp system. "Kicked for creating subspace" is gone, and MCW_LOWEST/SUBSPACE_SIMPLE have finally been implemented. Here's an overview of all the available warp modes: http://imgur.com/a/1hIco

Nice! I imagine that with so many warp settings, there might be a public "mission control" server in the future where you can competently play a game of Kold War with some 5 other random strangers. Or your friends!

Hello godarklight i have a problem when i am trying to connect to my own serve :(. My friend can connect to it but i can't, it gives me this error: http://i.imgur.com/5R54zup.png

The game is port forwarded so its not from hamachi.

This is what happens: i enter the game, i select my server it connects, and after that a screen appeares that has the folowing thing:warp x1 on top, the chat on the left, the list of players on and the background is black, i cant see the base and after 1-2 seconds the game crashes and the error apeares in the dmp server cmp.

Any solutions?

Sorry if this was already posted. :D

Hey, I've been having trouble with my DMP,

Each time I try to join any server, it give me this message: DNS Error. No such host is known.

Could you please help?

You seem to be entering the address incorrectly. Make sure that the port is not in the address.

@longbyte1, Nope the address is being put in correctly. And port is staying the same as always.

Any other responses? My cousin and I would like to play together.

EDIT: Fixed, I was putting the port in with the address :P

Edited by uxuser
EDIT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.