DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

Minorex:

In german: Unter windows ist es nötig den VPn Adapter als primären adapter einzurichten. Geh in Netzwerkumgebung->Adapter Halte ALT gedrückt und gehe im Menü auf Erweitert ->Erweitert. Im neuen Fenster den Hamachi Adapter ganz nach oben schieben.

Ausserdem in den Firewalleinstellungen auf erweiterte Firewall. Firewall Einstellungen und dort den Adapter von der Firewall ausnehmen (Deaktivieren der Firewall reicht bei windows nicht).

Ping Via Hamachi funktioniert nicht immer, da Ping ICMP Benuzt und Hamachi damit so seine probleme hat (Es gab mal in Hamachi einstellungen für broadcasts, ICMp usw.)

Probier mal tungle, kein vpn oder setz dein eigenes vpn auf (hamachi ist in meinen augen mist)

In English:

In Windows VPN Adapters must be the primary NIC. Goto Networking-> Adapters hold ALt and select Extended -> Extended in the menu.

In the new window move your hamachi adapter to the top.

In addition to that click on Extended Firewall settings in your Firewall settings and exclude your hamaci nic from your firewall. (under Windows it isnt suficiant to disable the firewall)

Ping via Hamachi doesnt always work , because ping uses ICMp and hamachi has its problems with it (there where some options in hamachi for icmp, ping and multicast).

Try using tungle, the internet or set up your own vpn (Hamachi is crap in my opinion)

I hope that helps :)

p.s. im to lazy to translate this to german but:

Windows from 7 onwards by default blocks ping so do most routers. (incoming that is)

If you dont use any vpn the ping request goes to your outbound router (not your pc), so ping doesnt help you finding out if the server is realy acc from the inet.

one method would be to let your friend connect via putty or some other telnet/raw protocol capable terminal client to your external ip & port and if he sees some characters theres a service listening on that port.

also pirelli does routers?! arent they a tire manufacturer? :D

Vielen Dank für die ausgiebige Antwort!!

Allerdings funktioniert es immer noch nicht: Hamachi ist auf Position 1 und unter Windows Firewall sind alle UDP und TCP Ports für Hamachi zugelassen. Ohne VPN funktioniert es nicht, haben wir getestet. Auch mit Tungle funktioniert es nicht.

Hast du eventuell noch Ideen, wie ich es versuchen könnte?

Lg Mino

Hi,

I reply in english, so that others can understand it and maybe help you too :)

can you check your external ip (if its 192.168.XXX.XXX or 10.XXX.XXX.XXX or 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255)?

If you have (i think) kabel deutschland you sadly have a carrier grade nat and therfore no "real" public address.

Why doesnt your friend host the server?

Is there any reason why you dont use one of the public servers in the serverlist on http://d-mp.org ?

Tungle usualy works better than hamachi. Tungle adds his own Virtual nic so if youre using it make sure its the first one in the list and also make sure to restart the server and client after every change to the nics. (btw tungle is based on openvpn)

Do you have any additional firewall/security software like kaspersky running? if so it might be the thing blocking.

Also in case your using wifi try using a cable instead for your computer (wifi isnt usualy a big problem but its always good to avoid it if you can)

Have you set up other servers or services in the past that worked (on the sys and inet connection your trying to get dmp to work on)?

Ok I figured out what the problem was. We force completed a "Rescue Kerbal" contract through the debug menu. This marked it as completed in the DMP scenario txt files, but didn't mark the sub objectives as completed. This lead to the kerbal as still showing in orbit. So we clicked the "Stop Tracking Object" button. Well something with DMP and KSP didn't like that, so it was causing all the crashes. I went into the scenario file and deleted the offending contract completely and that seems to have fixed all of the problem.

@popos1: Vessel protection is definitely planned for the next version.

@thunderdan87: That sounds suspiciously a lot like a stock bug, if you can reproduce that in single player, that *definitely* needs to go on the squad bug tracker. If it's a DMP thing, try to break a universe and send it to me so I can work around it - you're likely not the only one who has run into this :)

Please excuse my ignorant way of just writing in german, i was so stuck with my head in the problem that i didnt realize.

Anyways, we are not playing on public servers because we already made bad experience with our stuff being deleted by other players...and we dont like so many things flying and orbiting around at the same time.

A private server for us, maybe with a 3rd friend joining provides an easier overview.

Coming back to the problem, I am using A1 Internet and my external ip due to the homepage http://www.wieistmeineip.at/ is 62.47.5X.XXX, IPv6 is not available there.

My friends computer is pretty slow so thats why i would like to host a permanent server for our games.

.. no wifi, i have direct cable connection to the router

.. yes we already played games like battle for middle earth etc. etc. via hamachi or tunngle

just with this game it doesnt work

Any ideas what else i can do?

Greetings, Mino

Edited by Minorex

does the DMP server work on linux? I will be getting a physical server soon the will be linux with no GUI so how would one go about getting DMP setup and working on that?

Runs on Linux in MONO-Environment. Install and Setup explained on D-MP's Homepage/Wiki.

Its really easy.

There is a Native-Linux-Port http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92665-DMP-Linux-Server-Tools,

but since 0.90 i only use MONO'd Version, so i cant tell, if its still working fabulous, as it did before.

@Minorex: DMPServer takes nearly no resources, but so long as you've port forwarded and ports opened in the firewall it should just work. Your friend should be able to guide you through it if they have set it up, so long as you're not behind a carrier grade nat (only really applies to mobile broadband connections).

@Vladthemad: The same way it always has. I suspect KSP is doing strange things again, or there's a time paradox issue :-/

@MaLuS: Yes, I also exclusively develop under linux with mono/monodevelop. There is no native port (C/C++), because that would just be nuts :P.

This is the pretty standard way of running it without a terminal attached:

screen -dmS DMPServerName mono DMPServer.exe

To attach to it, type screen -r DMPServerName. To detach: ctrl+a, then d.

I'm unsure if dsonbill's scripts still work, but nothing has really changed in a while ;)

Me and my friend are playing on the server on my PC, he can see me but I can't see him flying around. We're trying to use DB armory to shoot each other but atm we can't get the flying around together to work very well.

Any ideas?

It means that it's a memory leak and will painfully bleed your server to it's death.

There are better ways to phrase it but I guess this one is accurate, haha.

What I mean is that you should avoid reverting at all unless you are the only one in the server, and make sure you timewarp past the time you rolled back whenever possible, then relog.

It can cause issues as general server instability, friends not loading, sync issues and it can possibly be the cause of asteroid duplication, and duplicated asteroids don't get deleted.

Hmmm...I wasn't aware of that! I had noticed that reverts/crashes sometimes left duplicates of ships on the launchpad and in space...but hey, if I recover them (for a second time!) I get free monies so I wasn't complaining. Memory leakage IS a problem though, so how come reverts aren't disabled in DMP by default then?

Runs on Linux in MONO-Environment. Install and Setup explained on D-MP's Homepage/Wiki.

Its really easy.

There is a Native-Linux-Port http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92665-DMP-Linux-Server-Tools,

but since 0.90 i only use MONO'd Version, so i cant tell, if its still working fabulous, as it did before.

Same here...have been mono'n it up prior to even DMP breaking off from the original MP. Has always worked.

Me and my friend are playing on the server on my PC, he can see me but I can't see him flying around. We're trying to use DB armory to shoot each other but atm we can't get the flying around together to work very well.

Any ideas?

Are you doing it at/near the Space Center? There's a safety bubble that prevents things like both of you spawning on the launch pad at the same and exploding all over the place. Otherwise fighting each other directly can be a bit difficult due to update lag. Are the vehicles of the other players warping around while trying to fly together? That's what we've experienced in the past, but that was quite a few versions ago. Even with large AAA games, lag causes similar issues, and this is a mod for a indie game that was never designed to be multiplayer.

@Vladthemad: The same way it always has. I suspect KSP is doing strange things again, or there's a time paradox issue :-/

Hmm, I don't recall sharing crew before. Wasn't it client side once upon a time? Or is it still supposed to be? Maybe I just never noticed someone stealing my krewmen before because there was no experience system until .90 so it didn't matter :) Also while playing I've been getting statements about 0 Updates Reverted. I assumed that was normal, but last night while playing with someone else on the server that number started to go up drastically. Is this part of DMP or something from vanilla? I guess I've been playing DMP for so long I can't remember what vanilla does ;)

Also, has anyone had an issue with contracts disappearing after a crash? Seems I've also lost all my rep after installing a newer release.

Yeah, sadly my friend and I lost one or two contracts since our last session where I know I took "explore the mun" which is gone now. Can't remember if we had crashes. Anyone know if you can edit it back?

...so how come reverts aren't disabled in DMP by default then?

I have no idea, but I will quote it so godarklight can spot this better.

I agree, it should be a special option hidden on the configs that you turn on at your own risk.

has anyone had an issue with contracts disappearing after a crash?
lost one or two contracts since our last session where I know I took "explore the mun"

Me too had lost contracts many times, but WITHOUT crashing, only after re-login.

Sometimes exactly the same contracts appear in contracs offer list, sometimes not.

Me too had lost contracts many times, but WITHOUT crashing, only after re-login.

Sometimes exactly the same contracts appear in contracs offer list, sometimes not.

It also seems to be a bit random. I wonder if it happens on a server restart? I might have to try that and check. Not that there's anything to complain about, you get to keep the advance without doing the work ;)

Losing all my reputation on the other hand is something to complain about. Haven't lost any money or science yet though!

I had a 2 weeks break now playing KSP DMP. Two other issues still makes life bit hard:

Various ships get "duplicated", yesterday i had one fivefold. Had to ground 3 of them,

one was the "original" ship, 5th was empty, no pilot.. !?!? How to drive a MK1 Vessel

without a pilot/antenna (RemoteTech installed)?

2nd issue: it mess up with kerbals. Jeb, Bill and Bob had 3 Stars after many mun and minmus

science/scan/flag missions and landings. Now they are "virgin" as they are after a fresh install.

I wonder if it happens on a server restart?

I would say no, but i never watched on that. i have to had restart server 20 times a week..

Cant imagine that. I am crazy, but not like that.. *g*

Edited by Jansn

I had a 2 weeks break now playing KSP DMP. Two other issues still makes life bit hard:

Various ships get "duplicated", yesterday i had one fivefold. Had to ground 3 of them,

one was the "original" ship, 5th was empty, no pilot.. !?!? How to drive a MK1 Vessel

without a pilot/antenna (RemoteTech installed)?

2nd issue: it mess up with kerbals. Jeb, Bill and Bob had 3 Stars after many mun and minmus

science/scan/flag missions and landings. Now they are "virgin" as they are after a fresh install.

I would say no, but i never watched on that. i have to had restart server 20 times a week..

Cant imagine that. I am crazy, but not like that.. *g*

The first issue comes from reverting, or crashing...and possibly even jumping around from ship to ship to space center too quickly. It doesn't seem to delete the ship properly server side when you revert, or reload a save. I'm wondering if the lack of a pilot/star reset are also related to this, because I've found multiples of the same kerbal sometimes when a ship is duplicated, and that has to cause real problems when it goes to save said kerbal. It also doesn't help that it seems the kerbals are shared, so if you're flying with Jeb, and three other people are also flying with Jeb, and the server goes to save Jeb, who's Jeb get's saved?

I really need to force myself not to do reload/revert...I should probably start testing designs in the safety of single player and then bring them to DMP. Actually, I need to go set it up in the server so it can't be done all together so I stop having that issue. Hah.

The first issue comes from reverting, or crashing...and possibly even jumping around from ship to ship to space center too quickly.

I am afraid you are right.. :/

But wait.. ship doubling happens only after re-login, not immediately after revert/F9 reload.

I should probably start testing designs in the safety of single player and then bring them to DMP.

This is how i planned to do (but never did..)

Create & test vessels in sanbox -> dmp: create universe from savegame -> copy vesselfile.txt onto servers universe

then, do i have to restart the server or will he recognize/report/send the new vesselfile on the fly?

Actually, I need to go set it up in the server so it can't be done all together so I stop having that issue.

What exactly do you mean with that?

Edited by Jansn

I am afraid you are right.. :/

But wait.. ship doubling happens only after re-login, not immediately after revert/F9 reload.

Yes, that's because the client side reverts but the server doesn't. A lot of information is kept client side, but once you leave the server and come back it downloads the location of all the ships, asteroids, eva'd kerbals, et. al. including everything that wasn't reverted/recovered properly and it shows back up.

I'd assume there's no easy way to get the client side to tell the server that there's been a revert, and that's why it doesn't work properly. As a suggested work around, (When I can remember) I change the name of my vessel when I get it where I want it to be. That way you know which one to keep and which ones can be deleted.

Create & test vessels in sanbox -> dmp: create universe from savegame -> copy vesselfile.txt onto servers universe

then, do i have to restart the server or will he recognize/report/send the new vesselfile on the fly?

Oh that's easy. You don't even have to do anything server side, and you can do it on the fly. Go into your C:\....\Kerbal Space Program\saves\ folder and you should see the DarkMultiplayer folder and whatever folder you have named for your sandbox game. Inside each is a folder you'll find the folders ...\Ships\VAB and ...\Ships\SPH for the vehicle assembly bay and space plane hanger respectively. All you need to do is copy the craft file from your sandbox game out of the VAB or SPH folder it is in and into the DarkMultiplayer VAB or SPH folder. You don't need to exit the game, alt-tab and do it and you should be able to load them up when you go back into the game.

What exactly do you mean with that?

I meant there's a setting for DMP that should prevent players from being able to revert...basically hardcore mode KSP. :) If I recall correctly....haven't bothered to poke around in it yet, been busy.

Just tossing this message in here to tell everyone that Warlance Gameservers is hosting DMP now. It's still in a beta stage, so prices aren't final (and we'll look at hosting more than 50 slots when we've properly tested the resource use in a real-world environment.) Links to our site in my signature (EDIT: Not there, http://warlancegameservers.com is where you wanna go)

Also, I've been having great fun on a private server with some friends, we've had some great roleplay going.

Edited by AlthalusAvan

...copy the craft file from your sandbox game out of the VAB or SPH folder it is in and into the DarkMultiplayer VAB or SPH folder.

Sure my friend ;-). But at that point i ment Vessels in flight.

I built up my Kerbin-RemoteTech-Network in these steps: in Sanbox i created/tested/optimized/finalized the main-core-relais-probes

and some smaller connection-spreading-probes. The first ones at kerbin i installed in sanbox game. When they were at the wanted

coordinates, i ended game, did a "create universe from save game". Then i picked out the vessel files out of the fresh generated

universe folder and copied them to the universe folder on my dmp-server. and after restart - voila - the net work is up and running.

the few last ones (at minmus) i installed live playing on dmp-server. (of course i had to copy the .craft-files from sandbox to

dmp-savegame-vab-folder)

I change the name of my vessel when I get it where I want it to be. That way you know which one to keep and which ones can be deleted.

Same i tried one time with resulting in a tree-like multiplication of all that vessels.. :/

Conclusion: i have to watch whats exactly happen at reverting/relogin. And maybe we have to step back to

non-reverting, non-timewarping, non-reloading game mode. (What we preferred from beginning..)

Just for explenation: to relogin i mean next day or continue playing after some days and not in seconds or minutes.

We never get disconnected by client/server or bad internet connection.

Ok for now, i have to watch ESA's XVI lift off (live) stream now. And i think NASA had a supplyprobe to dock at ISS (?)

Edited by Jansn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.