DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

PFC Strange, there is a work-around to your first problem, though it might be a little cumbersome. You could attach decouplers on to your plane, with a small part on it. When you launch it, switch crafts to it ( [ ] ) and let him take over the recently abandoned plane. Or just switch to another craft on the map. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a feature that makes it easier, I don't think many people need it right now.

i have a little problem... everything works fine but when i try to connect to my own server it says: "Server closed connection: Server failed to process HANDSHAKE_REQUEST message". My friend is able to connect to my server but i cant :( plz help

Hey godarklight, my friend and I tried to play with your mod. Connecting on our own server is no problem, but when we try to connect to each other it says that the connection failed. We're trying to run it through tunngle. Maybe you can help us.

just a question, how much internet does this take on a day basis with about 3 or 4 people online at one time? given that the build aregare crafts and do average stuff? and how much load is it on the computer? do you need a dedicated computer?

@PFC Strange: "vessel permissions are planned for a future version but how do things work currently" - If the vessel you are trying to fly isn't controlled by another player, you get control.

When vessel permissions make it into 0.1.6, Things will be pretty much the same as they are now (default public), but you can make your vessel private which will prevent other players from interacting with it. You'll be able to share vessels with both individual players, and player groups.

In order to take over a vessel at the moment, the piloting player needs to leave the vessel (eg, go back to the space center), and if they come back, they'll be the spectator.

"how will things work when we build a space station together? / Can we each dock our own spacecraft/modules to the station?": I think I'll point you to

:). *Squeal*.

"Who gets control if this happens?": The first player that sees the docking should get control, but DMP should sort it out if both happens at the same time.

"Can resources be transferred between different player's vessels?": Yes, but only the pilot can transfer the resources and you won't see them until the full vessel update.

@Roaken Corporation: Any mod that bumps the load distance is supported in DMP, It makes atmo-spawning work a bit better at the cost of more lag.

@Edex5: Might need you to pop into IRC / Upload a log file - That error should only happen when the handshake message changes, which hasn't happened for quite a few versions now.

@APSmiler: You'll preferably need to port forward, but it should work through the tunnel. If you are port forwarding, www.canyouseeme.org is a good test, port 6702.

@Blipman17: DMP uses 10-30kb/s per client, but the server needs to relay the messages, so basically players^2 * 10-30kb/s.

It should run on the 'L' part of a lamp server :P. You'll just need to install mono, which is provided by the mono-complete package on debian and ubuntu, Just run it with 'mono DMPServer.exe'.

Ok, so this is probably going to be the most awesomestist thing I've ever messed with!

Thank you for this!

I do have one question though if you don't mind me asking it.

Is it possible to get the game to work with the save game I've had prior to starting a server?

It's really not hugely important to me, since I'll be able to see OTHER space ships!- but I would like to avoid doing some things all over again lol

Sorry if my question has too much dumb.

@Libre: It's completely automated, just make sure you typed in DMPServers http port, it's set in DMPServerSettings.txt (it's disabled by default as it needs admin on windows)

@Methlon: I forget what it's called exactly, but it's something like Options -> Generate DMP Universe.

It generates a universe from a singleplayer save, but it puts it in your KSP folder, you'll need to move it :)

Copying just the vessels is fine too.

@godarklight or other helpful, kind user. I wonder if someone might post the steps to running a private DMP server and connecting to it. I've got mono setup and I've got the DMPserver folder downloaded. When I run DMPserver.exe with mono good things seem to be happening. I'm able to connect through DMP client but syncing never completes. But I know I need also do port forwarding, etc.

What I'm looking for is a little checklist. I don't mind doing my own research to figure out how to do things, but I want to make sure I know what to do and don't miss any critical steps, particularly from a security perspective.

If this documentation already exists, please forgive my ignorance and if you could point me towards it that would be wonderful. If it doesn't exist and I figure it out, I'd be happy to help write it up.

The checklist I'm looking for is something like this (except with correct steps, not my incorrect ones):

1. Download DMPServer

2. Download install Mono

3. Set up port forwarding with xyz parameters

4. Do I need to do something with a static IP address?

5. Setting up mods etc.

6. Setting up DMP settings

7. etc.

Many thanks in advance!

ps: I had to upload the generated thingy to my server folder.

I tested it with a spare user name that I can't type here to make sure it didn't turn out universal.

It worked that way. I'm happy with this.

You are my hero.

@seedbee: Is it possible for me to check out the DMP universe? - If there's a dodgy vessel I'd like to be able to defend against that. But it's probably worth checking things like firewalls first.

As far as running a server goes, just double click DMPServer and you should be good. You can change DMPModControl.txt on the fly, The easiest way is to open KSP and hit Options -> Generate blacklist DMPModControl.txt. It will make a file tailored for your current GameData, just move it from your KSP folder to your server folder.

@For everyone who is bored and is wondering what DMP development looks like, I recorded myself adding the disclaimer window and then pushing a release. And oh yeah, 0.1.5.1 is available.

EDIT: 0.1.5.2 is available, I really must test my releases properly :). There was a serious bug that prevented DMP from working on new installs (Due to a missing saves/DarkMultiPlayer folder).

Edited by godarklight

@godarklight,

"As far as running a server goes, just double click DMPServer and you should be good. You can change DMPModControl.txt on the fly, The easiest way is to open KSP and hit Options -> Generate blacklist DMPModControl.txt. It will make a file tailored for your current GameData, just move it from your KSP folder to your server folder."

I'm running on my mac and nothing happens when I click DMPServer. Using mono it seems to run. I'll try a bit more and see if I can work it out. Thanks!

Your listing system does not appear to like my server. That, or port 80 isn't forwarding properly.

Title: [uS] A FAR and Deadly Place (Modlist: http://pastebin.com/ihWZMqPR)

IP: 64.251.27.43

Port: 6702

This is quite a decent dedi, 5TB of bandwidth just doing absolutely nothing - so feel free to abuse her :P

EDIT: Just some clarification, in case port 80 is needed:

Web browser claims connection refused

Port 80 is open in iptables with the following (CentOS): -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

Port 80 is FORWARDED on Open-WRT (virtual) to dmp server IP

Port 6702 is successfully open in iptables and forwarded with OWRT in the same manner

EDITAGAIN: Ah, I see now how the httpport option works :)

OMFGANOTHEREDIT: Ok, your server is doing something funky...

[20:44:08][iNFO] : New client connection from 202.173.175.123:56760[20:44:08][iNFO] : Invalid DMP message from 202.173.175.123:56760

[20:44:08][iNFO] : Disconnecting client Unknown, sent CONNECTION_END (Invalid DMP message. Disconnected.) to endpoint 202.173

.175.123:56760

[20:44:08][DEBUG] : Online players is now: 0, connected: 1

[20:44:08][DEBUG] : Online players is now: 0, connected: 0

[20:45:06][iNFO] : New client connection from 202.173.175.123:56817

[20:45:06][DEBUG] : Online players is now: 0, connected: 1

[20:45:06][iNFO] : Invalid DMP message from 202.173.175.123:56817

[20:45:06][iNFO] : Disconnecting client Unknown, sent CONNECTION_END (Invalid DMP message. Disconnected.) to endpoint 202.173

.175.123:56817

[20:45:06][DEBUG] : Online players is now: 0, connected: 0

[20:46:07][iNFO] : New client connection from 202.173.175.123:56868

[20:46:07][DEBUG] : Online players is now: 0, connected: 1

[20:46:07][iNFO] : Invalid DMP message from 202.173.175.123:56868

[20:46:07][iNFO] : Disconnecting client Unknown, sent CONNECTION_END (Invalid DMP message. Disconnected.) to endpoint 202.173

.175.123:56868

[20:46:07][DEBUG] : Online players is now: 0, connected: 0

Do I need to update? I'm a bit too tired to take care of that right now...

WHATDIDYOUEXPECTEDIT: I've removed the server so I don't eat your bandwidth.

Edited by dsonbill

It's not doing anything funky - The server list is automated and scrapes the servers for the player list. If the server isn't online they drop off the list, so anything on the server list is guaranteed to be online.

The bit that might have confused you is that the scraper contacts the HTTP port and not the game port, I should probably add a message to the add server box :).

The game port doesn't need to be entered because it's in the json info. For an example, see http://kerbal.eva.hk:8081/ (I can't access your DMPServer's json port)

@godarklight: Thanks for the information. I've figured out how sharing vessels works currently and it is perfect for the server my brother and I are playing on.

One thing I did notice last night was that the asteroids on our server keep resetting every time I log on. I logged into the server, tracked a bunch of asteroids (even renamed a couple), and then logged off. The next time I logged back in all of the asteroids I had tracked were gone and a new batch of asteroids were spawned. Is there any way to make the asteroids persistent between logins? It's not much fun to have the Class E asteroid on an impact trajectory with Kerbin disappear every time I log off.

It's not doing anything funky - The server list is automated and scrapes the servers for the player list. If the server isn't online they drop off the list, so anything on the server list is guaranteed to be online.

The bit that might have confused you is that the scraper contacts the HTTP port and not the game port, I should probably add a message to the add server box :).

The game port doesn't need to be entered because it's in the json info. For an example, see http://kerbal.eva.hk:8081/ (I can't access your DMPServer's json port)

I kinda figured later on, but I was too lazy to try without reply - opening ports on this thing is really a chore :P

Here's a little shell script I wrote (like a true sysadmin, gotta make my own tools :cool:) to update on linux. :)

See [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79111-DarkMultiPlayer-0-1-5-2-KSP-0-24-2-Alpha?p=1376517&viewfull=1#post1376517"]here[/URL].

Sorry for the insolence, the idea of using an exe/mono to do this was a little... unappealing? >.>

Edited by dsonbill
Removed verbose switch from rsync; that'll confuse 'em for certain.

@PFC Strange: I'll double check the asteroids - Not only should they save and remember, they should also get instantly tracked for players in the present / future.

@dsonbill: That script will certainly work, but it might be worth checking http://godarklight.info.tm/dmp/data/ (develtag or releasetag) before running that script, or if you're really bored, implementing the update thing from http://godarklight.info.tm/dmp/updater/ (The objects are stored as SHA256Sums)

I originally did host KMP on rsync, but due to how insanely hard it is to set up on windows (You either have to install cygwin or strip rsync out of DeltaCopy), I scrapped that and made KMPUpdater, which was eventually turned into DMPUpdater.

Also, The DMPUpdater source is available if you're interested in how it works :)

EDIT:

@teag2: Welcome to the forums! (Your posts won't be moderated after 5, that's why I missed it earlier)

The DMP client has a built-in DMPModControl.txt generator, just hit Options -> Generate Blacklist DMPModControl.txt

Edited by godarklight

Hey. Im getting random ctd's when trying to recover vessels in DMP. Server console just outputs "[DEBUG] : Audon failed to acquire lock control" and then crashes my game. Any idea what could be causing this?