DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

Could you add an automatic debris cleaner? Servers always get clogged with 40-something debris- that's more than you can handle terminating when your game is laggy like mine.

Isnt that feature already in? Autodekessler

@Audon: Thanks for getting me on IRC :)

@Ultraflight: That feature is most definitely in, it's enabled by default and runs every half hour (set in DMPServerSettings.txt). Also, there's another one that isn't enabled by default but still may be helpful, /nukeksc and it's automatic variant in DMPServerSettings.txt - It deletes everything landed at the KSC. It helps on some servers because the runway can very quickly fill up with crashed command pods :)

After a few minutes of writing (and mixing up if statements), I present to you V0.00001 of The Unofficial KISS DMP Linux Updater:

You really, really shouldn't use this unless you know what you are doing.

*SNIP*

See here.

Edited by dsonbill
Added more warnings, and updated the manual version to run next to DMPServer.exe . Another "DUH" moment in programming.

How do you spectate players consistently? I was playing with a friend and the only way I could spectate him launching was by parking a ship near the launch pad and switching vessels once he got synced. Whenever I try to pilot one of his ships from the map screen I hit the button and nothing happens, and all of the other vessels become locked too until I leave the tracking station and go back.

@TYRT: If there's anything special you did, it's definitely worth commenting on. Syncing bugs are generally easy to fix as it's DMP doing something (or not doing something), instead of KSP weirdness :)

@APSmiler: So everything is good now? *crosses fingers*

@thedogs: :-/. I'm starting to think DMP doesn't stop the game properly when you press disconnect. If you definitely know for sure of how to reproduce the bug, I'd love to hear the steps, I've never been too much of a fan of career though, so I haven't really been testing that side of DMP out too much (Hence the missing contracts from 0.1.5)

@dsonbill: That looks like it would work, but I think most of the servers that I know of have run DMPServer from their home directory. If you run that script from home and DMPServer is in your home directory,

@rdswo: Welcome to the world of DMP bugs :P. I know about that one, when you have selected an active player's vessel and it gets a full update (happens every 30 seconds), the Kill/Replace messes up the tracking station, and I can't seem to find where KSP hides the selected vessel in the tracking station, nor can I find a way to deselect it (which would fix the bug). I've noticed it works fine switching from the map view while you're actually in flight though (where I can also change and set the target).

Well, I feel silly. It doesn't even make sense to have a manual updater like this work from a totally different directory... Thanks for the push in the obvious direction! :)

I made the manual version work within the current working directory, and the cron job version still declares it's working directory. I'm going to be doing some work programming tomorrow (oh the joys of Polymer) but I plan on hacking at this some more, and adding those file checks to make it "safe" for average users. Just the two if[-a] statements should do it for this version.

This community gets my nerdy senses tingling even more than Uplink did :P

@dsonbill: Understandable,

. (I never went anywhere with it, it's just a GUI version of DMPUpdater that can support multiple repos / mods, it's also my first attempt at GTK# which is why it looks so aweful).

I just saw "rm -rf DMPServer" and knew someone would eventually get hit by it if I didn't point it out ;)

Can any one tell me what i need to do to allow my friend to connect to my dmp server. I can connect to it, but every time he tries to join it fails to connect. It seems strange bc we are both able to play in the same public server.

@FLAKBAT: Welcome to the forums :).

Definitely try to port forward first, you can test it with www.canyouseeme.org, the default port is 6702.

@choninja21:

:D

In all seriousness though - DMP is basically trying to make a singleplayer game *look* like a multiplayer game, collisions are definitely not synced, and players can't update other active players crafts because it's possible to see players crash when they haven't (especially if there's a future / past paradox going on). Eventually the clone should be removed and the full vessel replaced, but I should likely keep track of the parts from a player and remove those parts if the controlling player didn't spawn the debris in.

@Zach bath: Welcome to the forums!

It's very similar to hosting a minecraft server. Download the zip, extract (Not in the KSP folder!), double click DMPServer.exe and set up port forwarding.

If you want to change the server settings, stop the server, edit DMPServerSettings.txt and start the server again.

DMPModControl.txt can be modified without stopping/starting/restarting the server. The mod file can be generated from your mods installed in KSP/GameData by opening KSP and hitting Options -> Generate DMPModControl.txt, just move it from your KSP folder to your DMPServer folder.

@goldenpsp: Leave the sarcasm to me please :P

I'm getting an annoying bug in the SPH where pressing the 'load' button makes the other buttons dark and the 'exit' button look as if it has just been clicked, the list of crafts doesn't show up, the kerbals in the SPH still move around but I can't place any pieces. If I exit by clicking the 'X' in the top right corner then the game gives me a crash report.

EDIT: Sometimes it doesn't even get to the SPH without crashing on the space center screen.

Edited by Megalodon 720

I cannot promise in circumstances that severe. Awesome mod btw. Should be a stock feature.

Multiplayer is planned for KSP final. However, for now, godarklight has taken it up for those of us who don't like waiting, his self included.. :)

My Friend got this if he try to connect to my hosted server on my pc

He get disconnectet because the server cant handle the Handshake_request

http://puu.sh/bdqQC/d84007cd01.jpg

This is in the consol:

http://puu.sh/bdqL9/d25c89e27c.png

A other friend can connect and play on my server.

We are connectet with LogMeInHamachi.

Can anyone help me? I cant find something with Google

@Megalodon 720: DMP doesn't really do anything in the SPH screen, and it definitely doesn't mess around with the parts or loading.

Are you running with other mods installed?, or perhaps it's a windows-64 bug. Either way I'd need KSP_folder/KSP_Data/output_log.txt in order to tell.

Generally full crashes generally don't give me good information about what went wrong though :(

@goldenpsp/Talavar: I'll be happy when the official multiplayer comes out, It means I don't have to work on DMP and I can still play multiplayer :). However, I have no idea when this is going to happen, nor can I see it happening all that soon - it's certainly going to be a large feature for squad, and unlike DMP, they've got to get it perfect for release.

<speculation>There hasn't appeared to be any clear step towards multiplayer with KSP 0.24, I didn't find anything too revealing in the KSP assembly apart from possibly starting to index kerbals by name instead of number (which definitely makes things easier). Contracts felt like a tiny step backwards. I guess they'll keep the MP stuff out until it's stable, but there should still be telltale signs of the future showing through</speculation>

I believe squad is going to announce the feature list for 0.25 today - but I'd be very surprised if multiplayer was on that list. I do know that Spaceplane plus is getting integrated, and they are adding the normal markers to the navball :)

EDIT: Proof

EDIT2: Welcome to the forums Soundwave__007!

Windows does not allow you to type certain characters in filenames, and DMP uses the file name as the player name. I know that a colon ':' won't work on windows but will work on a linux server.

I'll see if I can make that message more friendly :)

Edited by godarklight

@godarklight:

I dont understand what you mean with:

Windows does not allow you to type certain characters in filenames, and DMP uses the file name as the player name.

I know that a colon ':' won't work on windows but will work on a linux server.

My friend with the problem use Windows 8. I host on Windows 7 and my other friend who can connect and play on my server uses windows 7 too.

Can it happend that win 8 doing the problems?

I host often Minecraft with many mods or other gameservers on my pc.

I have many mods on my KMP-server.

FerramAerospaceResearch

SpaceplanePlus

BDArmory

KAX

ImprovedChaseCamera

kOS

MechJeb2

and a few smaller more

So quick question I have been meaning to ask.

For the server option keeptickingwhileoffline. What effect does this have with mods that typically work "on rails"? For example I assume if using TAC life support, your kerbals will be using up food water etc even when everyone is offline. But then for example if using MKS, where the station can recycle the waste, will it be able to account for that so that if you are away for a day the systems work and your kerbals don't die?

Or other mods such as karbonite or kethane that can mine on rails, will they keep mining when nobody is online?

@Soundwave__007: It's the way DMP stores data - You can't use certain letters / characters in the player name.

@goldenpsp: Keep ticking while offline is the default, it's a side effect of how subspaces are locked and synced. Subspaces lock to the server system clock, which obviously keeps ticking even when the server isn't even running. It will only look like the universe has been simulated, I can't tell for sure how mining mods or MKS would work, you'll just have to try it out ;)

Life support mods have generally been quite troublesome with DMP's subspace and sync feature.

I am using the DMPUpdater.exe to install the mods...

I have noticed that when I press any key at the end of running the updater it usually runs the updater a second time, for no reason.

Its not really a problem but a curious thing to occur. The second running of the program completes and exits as normal, At first I thought it was because I was exiting with (Return / enter) but I tried a different key with the same result.

I am running Windows 7 - 64bit Professional on a intel Core i5-3570K @3.4ghz, 16gb ram, installed on a SSD hard drive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.