DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

The server builds the vessel sync directly out of the vessels folder, so a server restart is not needed. But clients will need to resync in order to see things were deleted ;).

saves/DarkMultiPlayer is just for the craft file saves and to keep KSP happy with a persistent.sfs file there. DMP doesn't load from the saves folder, so deleting it won't make a difference. It's also there to find out wether something is a stock or DMP bug.

But i want to delete stuff in server folder from client. So anyone can relog and have deleted stuff, because deleting numbers is harder than deleting ships from space center where i know what is what.

Ok, so Jeb, Bill, and Bob aren't available in DMP? SAD FACES!!!!!!!! I assume this is because Kerbals are individualized to the player and persist, unlike in KMP? Is there any way possible to at least give some of mine the orange suit? :)

DarkMultiPlayer 0.1.1.0 has been released on DMPUpdater and my build server.

Changelog is in the OP :)

@cpy: The tracking station terminate & recover button should always work (apart from when the vessel is in use by another player). 0.1.1.0 should fix normal vessel destructions while in flight (Eg, if you deorbit a craft it should pick it up).

@Vladthemad: Nice spot, obviously I haven't been building big enough rockets :). If you change the name of 0.txt, 1.txt and 2.txt on the server Universe/Kerbals/ folder you will get Jeb, bill and bob back, but I'll add them back for 0.1.2 ;).

Edited by godarklight

Craft sharing does not seem to work at all :(

Do i need to create new ship or anything? I just updated from old version.

Sub-part assembly seems to be bugged now too.

Interface is very vanishy right now.

Edited by cpx

@godarklight I have some questions (for the 1.0.1 release anyway...about to upgrade!). Can you explain the differences between the subpace/warp settings? A few friends and i were playing yesterday with it set to MCW_LOWEST, but it didn't seem to do anything. Basically everyone was still warping when they wanted, and our game times were different...meaning we were in seperate subspaces. We'd like it so that we were always in the same subspace together.

Another question is how do we get to fly together as shown in your videos? Will the safety bubble prevent that? I had built a rover in the SPH and drove it over to the rocket platform to watch someone's lift off, but his rocket wasn't visible. This might be related to the MCW_LOWEST issue, as we hadn't figured out that we were at slightly different times until later.

Lastly, after making the Kerbal post, I thought maybe changing their name would change their suit and tested it. Sadly that means I can't give the orange one to another Kerbal I'm guessing. Apart from that, I noticed that all players share the 50 kerbals generated by the server and that they seem to actually die when they are killed. This could be a problem as one of our players has a tendency to die...a lot. (Which is why I was trying to watch his take off! HA) I thought I'd have kerbals 0-49, the next guy would generate 50-99, etc. I'm not sure how I'll feel if someone else manages to kill off my Vlad Kerman :D Any chance each player could have his own kerbals, or would that create problems because our kerbal lists wouldn't match up?

EDIT:

Yeah, I saw that in IRC. I might have pushed a little early...

Looks like there will be a 0.1.1.1 when I get back from work - sorry guys. :-/

EDIT: Forgot I did this: http://chrisand.no-ip.info/dmp/build/release/v0.1.0.1/

Ok so I should wait before upgrading?

MCW_LOWEST isn't implemented and I'm not sure if I want to implement it (warp to the lowest common warp factor). I'm thinking about scrapping the SUBSPACE_SIMPLE idea too (Like subspace, but there's only one future).

Use either MCW_VOTE or SUBSPACE. MCW_VOTE will keep all the players in the same subspace (by doing what the warp master does).

MCW_FORCE is like MCW_VOTE but there's no voting, you just take the warp master.

NONE is obvious :P.

"Sadly that means I can't give the orange one to another Kerbal I'm guessing" - That's correct, The orange suit in KSP is done by matching the name.

"Another question is how do we get to fly together as shown in your videos" - Vessels will not spawn while they are flying in the atmosphere, they only spawn on the ground, or in orbit. KSP destroys things when they get out of the 2.5km limit, so you'll need to leave the safety bubble outside of the ground somewhere to take off together. On the runway, the bubble ends just before the first white marks.

@Everyone: 0.1.1.1 contains the fix for the craft uploading (It worked for me as I had crafts already uploaded to the server during development). It also contains a /dekessler command that deletes all debris (although the changes only show up after a resync atm).

Edited by godarklight

MCW_LOWEST isn't implemented and I'm not sure if I want to implement it (warp to the lowest common warp factor). I'm thinking about scrapping the SUBSPACE_SIMPLE idea too (Like subspace, but there's only one future).

Use either MCW_VOTE or SUBSPACE. MCW_VOTE will keep all the players in the same subspace (by doing what the warp master does).

MCW_FORCE is like MCW_VOTE but there's no voting, you just take the warp master.

NONE is obvious :P.

"Sadly that means I can't give the orange one to another Kerbal I'm guessing" - That's correct, The orange suit in KSP is done by matching the name.

"Another question is how do we get to fly together as shown in your videos" - Vessels will not spawn while they are flying in the atmosphere, they only spawn on the ground, or in orbit. KSP destroys things when they get out of the 2.5km limit, so you'll need to leave the safety bubble outside of the ground somewhere to take off together. On the runway, the bubble ends just before the first white marks.

@Everyone: 0.1.1.1 contains the fix for the craft uploading (It worked for me as I had crafts already uploaded to the server during development). It also contains a /dekessler command that deletes all debris (although the changes only show up after a resync atm).

Mcw_lowest didn't seem to be doing what the name implied, and I thought I better ask what the other ones do before I tried. Of course that's because it's not in the game yet! I was confused about the "not implemented" part in the original post. It states "subspace_simple and lowest are not implemented yet." or something like that. I thought that meant subspace_simple and subspace_lowest. Only this morning while looking at the config did I see there was no subspace_lowest and concluded that you meant mcw_lowest. Then I log in here to edit the post and see you already replied telling me the same thing. :) That's fine, we have it set up for mcw_vote for now. Switched out when I saw mcw_lowest didn't seem to be working.

If you do put mcw_lowest in, can you make it so that anyone that isn't flying isn't taken into account? Lowest warp factor wouldn't be much good if someone is sitting in the VAB building a rocket and isn't able to set his warp. The vote works well enough too.

Also, one last note. I ran into a bit of a bug yesterday. While seperating a tug from the rest of a space station, the space station suddenly disappeared from view. After going to the map I saw that it had lost all forward momentum. The tug was still in the correct orbit, but the space station's trajectory now went straight up and down from Kerbin, being a single white line. As such it was now on a collision course with the surface. Would you believe even with the disasterous glitch when it smashed into the ground tail first the command module, an antenna, and a solar panel actually survived? Vlad Kerman lives to fly again! Haha. I don't know if it will ever happen again. Could be a fluke, but a nasty one at that.

If I didn't say it with you KMP work, thanks for all the excellent work your doing! We're having a blast with it!

Loving the mod godarklight, very easy to set up a server and get some mods working.

I am having a fair bit of craft duplication though. Like every time I connect there are a couple of duplicates- occasionally in the exact same spot (many explosions ensue). A typical example goes something like this...

1) Player 1 and Payer 2 are both connected and playing - everything is sweet. Player 2 lunches SpaceStationOne into Kerbin orbit, and is mid flight with SpaceShipOne for a rendezvous.

2) Player 1 disconnects, leaving just Player 2 in the server - Player 2 tweaks the orbit for SpaceStationOne and docks SpaceShipOne to it.

3) Player 2 disconnects, leaving the server running.

4) The next day Player 1 connects, has some fun exploding things on the launchpad because he is a noob, er, inexperienced kerbonaut, and disconnects again

5) Player 2 connects - now there is SpaceStationOne with SpaceShipOne docked to is as he left it, only there is a copy of SpaceStationOne 1km behind it in orbit, and a copy of SpaceShipOne in a sub-orbital trajectory too.

Anyone else having issues like this?

Its not game breaking, but it does make for a number of unplanned rescue missions when kerbals you thought were safely docked are suddenly cloned and sent speeding back to Kerbin.

Thanks!

Loving the mod godarklight, very easy to set up a server and get some mods working.

I am having a fair bit of craft duplication though. Like every time I connect there are a couple of duplicates- occasionally in the exact same spot (many explosions ensue). A typical example goes something like this...

1) Player 1 and Payer 2 are both connected and playing - everything is sweet. Player 2 lunches SpaceStationOne into Kerbin orbit, and is mid flight with SpaceShipOne for a rendezvous.

2) Player 1 disconnects, leaving just Player 2 in the server - Player 2 tweaks the orbit for SpaceStationOne and docks SpaceShipOne to it.

3) Player 2 disconnects, leaving the server running.

4) The next day Player 1 connects, has some fun exploding things on the launchpad because he is a noob, er, inexperienced kerbonaut, and disconnects again

5) Player 2 connects - now there is SpaceStationOne with SpaceShipOne docked to is as he left it, only there is a copy of SpaceStationOne 1km behind it in orbit, and a copy of SpaceShipOne in a sub-orbital trajectory too.

Anyone else having issues like this?

Its not game breaking, but it does make for a number of unplanned rescue missions when kerbals you thought were safely docked are suddenly cloned and sent speeding back to Kerbin.

Thanks!

I'm having similar duplication issues.

What versions of the Server are you running ? Git-version.txt

All the duplication issues happened in the first release (1.0.0). I haven't started the server again since I updated it to 1.1.1 . I'll try that and see if the problem persists.

Interesting.

I wonder, does the amount of mods and/or parts have any influence on performance? I have an install in which I deleted the Squad fuel tanks and use Procedural Parts for everything.

Player-to-player docking has a 50% chance of working, and a 50% chance of making everything explode.

How does these numbers look like in KMP? Is the docking resolved in a flip of a coin with the kraken?

Dark,

I noticed the Tick Rate was set at 5. I was wondering if there was a way to bump that up to say 10 or 15. I can understand that it might be set low for Servers with alot of players. But I was wondering if it could be done of if there is a setting for it for smaller private servers. Thankyou in advance, and I apperciate the work you have done.

I really need to implement player-player docking. It's simple enough, I've just recently started working and I've been focusing on getting the "social" side of DMP up and running (chat/craft sharing). Screenshots will come soon :).

Also, I'm going to implement a sync cache - It's already half completed after a few hours. Syncing to some servers seems to take quite a while :-/.

"All the duplication issues happened in the first release (1.0.0)" I'm 99% sure vessel deletions didn't work in the first release, I forgot to send the delete message to the server :P.

"Is the docking resolved in a flip of a coin with the kraken?" - It depends on the point of view. In KSP, a docking destroys one of the vessels and updates one of the old vessels with a new copy containing both vessels docked. *however*, As a defense, When a players vessel attempts to get deleted it is resent to the server and back to the client (causing a duplicate in the same place). Things will then get kind of explody for the other player.

If the other player docks to you and their own vessel gets destroyed (never quite worked out which one becomes the new vessel - but it doesn't matter either way), then the other client will go into spectate mode, their own ship will disappear from the other client, and on the next full protovessel update the ship will disappear.

I believe spectating a docking will probably work, but don't quote me on that one :P.

The fix for this will be to allow a "docking" deletion or proto update that doesn't stop that tiny bit of defensive code. The client should start spectating the other player and then destroy their old vessel. As I said, it's an easy thing to implement, I just have to make time for it :).

Tick Rate: Most likely will move to a server setting in the future, and it's fairly safe to bump. If DMP detects your outgoing queue starting to fill, it will throttle the tick rate anyway - So this is something I should implement in the near future.

Number 1 concern for me atm is a client-side sync cache though :)

I really need to implement player-player docking. It's simple enough, I've just recently started working and I've been focusing on getting the "social" side of DMP up and running (chat/craft sharing). Screenshots will come soon :).

Also, I'm going to implement a sync cache - It's already half completed after a few hours. Syncing to some servers seems to take quite a while :-/.

Excellent!

"All the duplication issues happened in the first release (1.0.0)" I'm 99% sure vessel deletions didn't work in the first release, I forgot to send the delete message to the server :P.

If the other player docks to you and their own vessel gets destroyed (never quite worked out which one becomes the new vessel - but it doesn't matter either way), then the other client will go into spectate mode, their own ship will disappear from the other client, and on the next full protovessel update the ship will disappear.

This has happened to me when I have been the only player in the server; specifically when building bases on Minmus. Sometimes when I dock two ships (using pipes from KAS), I find that when I refresh the scene, one part of the docked ship has been duplicated. How often does the protovessel update occur? I need to test docking with docking ports to see if the same issue occurs...

Thanks for the reply too.

Oh yeah, I'm still running 0.1.0.1. Will apply the update tonight and see if it helps.

Well, Ive had a bit of trouble with my Kiangong station on your sandbox server. Namely, the science module, "Kiangong - 2" dropped from orbit (Literally, all orbital velocity lost) when I switched to the station to open a docking port. There is now a flag on the surface called "In Memory Of..." marking the exact location of the drop. This was induced by a switch using the [ and ] keys. Maybe a one off, but possibly something to look into.

Also, can I install a mod like Void, one that is only a plugin and adds no parts, without repercussions? (Completely unrelated, asking because "Me wants DV readouts!")

EDIT:

Well then! The server really doesn't like my space station. First the science module drops out of orbit, then the upper stage taking the second one to orbit, then the station itself, including the MPCV (Which I saved, with about half of the stations crew) and SSTO I had docked to it. (Not so lucky. Deleted in atmo during my attempts to save the rest of the crew.) And every single time that happened there was a jump in the game, as if there was some kind of lag or syncing going on, and yet, I was the only person online.

Edited by Deathsoul097

@Deathsoul097: You're onto something there, DMP keeps the planet clock synchronized normally by constantly skewing the unity clock (like physwarp). When the error is greater than 5 seconds, it gives up, puts everything on rails, sets the clock, and then vessels should go off rails again.

It sounds like the GoOnRails call is canceling all velocity, which is *really* weird :-/. I've noticed this before on the ground, I didn't think it could happen while in orbit however.

Also, DMP has the same mod control system as KMP - Mod to your hearts content, but if you're adding parts, read DMPModControl.txt on the server. If you can control the GameData directories, there's also an option to completely turn off mod control in DMPServerSettings.txt.

Hmm. Do you think anything can be done about it? It seems to happen very often, at least to me. -_- (Not trying to rush you. Genuine question, I'm interested to see how you will or try to solve it.)

It will probably require more testing, but I have found that it usually happens at the same time or just after staging (That's how I lost the SecondStage of my second attempt at the Science Module) or switching vessels. (Which is how everything else got destroyed.) Also, JSYK, it also happened to the station multiple times on it's way down when I was trying to save it. It also only seems to occur when you switch away from something. It doesn't always happen immediately after switching though, and its sporadic. It doesn't always affect things, in this way or at all. As far as I can tell the losses of momentum are perfectly synchronized with the pause/reset thing you mentioned. Basically, what I think I'm observing is a total loss of orbital momentum on uncontrolled vessels within render/physics range (Only the things I was trying to work with and save were affected, which makes me believe this is only affecting things within render/phys range. Quite possibly because everything outside that range is already on rails.) at the time of Syncing the planet clock.

I will have a look at getting on tomorrow to test some more, but for now, I need sleep.

Edited by Deathsoul097