DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

@tetryds: Thankyou - That looks like it contains the solution to my problem. I *think* borrowing 2 lines should be ok with respect to the GPL.

No problem.

I am quite sure that skykooler would be okay with it, but I recommend you to pm him telling him about this.

Also, why not implement it into DMP? It's already hardcore mode anyway (no quicksaves or reverts).

It would work well as a server option, I would personally like it :)

@longbyte1: The right ones :D

@toasted: I'm well aware of that, which is why it took such a long time to hunt down everything/one. I actually pushed for public domain, but didn't argue successfully.

The full convo is here: https://github.com/godarklight/DarkMultiPlayer/issues/222

Copyleft licences are the worst :-/

Also I say that I think it will be fine because the line won't be the same - I need to take the universe transform into account, along with the fact that <15 lines is said to be OK (not a significant contribution). I will comment where it was figured out from though ;).

Has anyone tried to run this with Kerbal Construction Time installed?

From reading along the thread, I have gathered that DMP manages multiple players by giving each player their own "time bubble" and syncing up ship positions for everyone according to their individual timestamp. Now, KCT adds a simulation mode, where you can take a ship you haven't committed to construction yet and test it out for a limited time in a copy of the universe that will be rolled back completely after it expires and does not affect the 'real' universe in any way. I'm not sure how that is implemented (maybe it just cribs the revert-to-VAB function), but I wonder if that may not interfere with the way that DMP tracks spacecraft?

Has anyone tried to run this with Kerbal Construction Time installed?

From reading along the thread, I have gathered that DMP manages multiple players by giving each player their own "time bubble" and syncing up ship positions for everyone according to their individual timestamp. Now, KCT adds a simulation mode, where you can take a ship you haven't committed to construction yet and test it out for a limited time in a copy of the universe that will be rolled back completely after it expires and does not affect the 'real' universe in any way. I'm not sure how that is implemented (maybe it just cribs the revert-to-VAB function), but I wonder if that may not interfere with the way that DMP tracks spacecraft?

I believe that you will have issues trying to go back in time.

Hello!

Me and my bro are new to DMP. We have set up a server but cannot see eachother. We are in the same time (went out on the launchpad right away without warping) but we dont see eachother... Anyone know what we are doing wrong?

Thanks a million!

I'm having the exact same issue, have been searching for a while to try and figure out what's wrong. Hopefully someone can shed some light

I'm having the exact same issue, have been searching for a while to try and figure out what's wrong. Hopefully someone can shed some light

2 things.. First.. make sure you are synced.. Sometimes it can be a little weird and you have to sync right off the bat.(atleast it used to.. not sure now, haven't used DMP for a bit).. secondly There is a "safety dome" over the launch pad. If you are still in it, you won't be able to see each other at all. It's there to keep ships from spawning in the same place and causing each other to explode. One of you need to launch while the other looks up.. see if you see them appear.. Dunno if I helped any. But I wish you luck!

Edited by Talavar

GoDark... I was going over some of what you posted earlier.. I was wondering.. Does DMP know what keys are being pressed on the client machine, or does it only relay X,Y,Z/radial positioning, angle, and velocity? Or maybe only keeps track of positioning/angle and updates constantly?

Edited by Talavar

2 things.. First.. make sure you are synced.. Sometimes it can be a little weird and you have to sync right off the bat.(atleast it used to.. not sure now, haven't used DMP for a bit).. secondly There is a "safety dome" over the launch pad. If you are still in it, you won't be able to see each other at all. It's there to keep ships from spawning in the same place and causing each other to explode. One of you need to launch while the other looks up.. see if you see them appear.. Dunno if I helped any. But I wish you luck!

Thanks for a quick response! Awesome. :)

I was thinkting something in that line also abut the whole syncing thing. But there is like no way to sync up? Its impossible to warp and like catch the time where my bro is at by stopping the warp. But my bro and i have been in orbit but not able to see eachother. So the "spawn area" is not the issue either. But that syncing issue seems to be a good place to start. Just have to find out how you sync up with eachother...

Just about to say this exactly. Also, I would like to mention that there is a "handbreak" that the other player will do right when they get out of the safety bubble. Launch at least 10 seconds separate from each other so you don't slam into the person above you, you will die but they will not. Also, insane lag spikes if you are within render distance.

Thanks for a quick response! Awesome. :)

I was thinkting something in that line also abut the whole syncing thing. But there is like no way to sync up? Its impossible to warp and like catch the time where my bro is at by stopping the warp. But my bro and i have been in orbit but not able to see eachother. So the "spawn area" is not the issue either. But that syncing issue seems to be a good place to start. Just have to find out how you sync up with eachother...

You have to open the DMP window (Where the disconnect button and player list is) and it will show the other players and what they are doing. It will also show if they are in your current time or in the future. Next to their name it will have a button that says sync. Then it syncs you guys...

There are a lot of issues but it can be fun.

The main issue I am having is that some people log on and feel that they become owner of the server, right when they get on.

Then they go straight to deleting everything that I have made for the last few hours, before I even get to complete my objective.

Really tired of it.

Defeats the purpose of playing at all, if I can't lock my stuff from deletion, by random trolls and whiny children.

Sorry for the late replies everyone :-/

@kasperhangard (Shared science): Very slowly - I've been working quite a lot lately. Atm I've only stubbed out the group system, but that's been sitting there for ages :-/

@Darknote: Spectating should work, drop by in IRC if you're still having problems

@Streetwind: It depends on the way mods do thing, but I highly suspect there will be issues if you go back in time. "KSP-playing friends are as of yet missing" - Such is life with KSP, you can definitely come visit in IRC though :P

@CaptainBob81: You need to leave the safety bubble, and remember KSP kills things while flying - so you won't see each other until orbit or when you have landed. The safety bubble is only 100m big though ;)

@sparton646: Not until groups + shared science is done :-/

@namsek: Now I'm starting to suspect something. I hope everyone is using 0.1.6.2 with KSP 0.25 :-/

@Talavar: Syncing just means "Jump to the future players time". Updates from the past are applied, updates from the future are stored and will play out as your universe time goes past theirs.

DMP only relays the lat/long/alt/surface velocity (surface mode), kepler orbital elements (orbital mode), rotation, angular velocity (which currently isn't applied correctly), and the action group controls (brakes gear lights rcs sas).

@TheOfficialStorm: That lag spike comes from KSP, Loading in a vessel appears to be pretty expensive, and DMP kills and reloads the vessels to do part updates. I think I have a hunch to try with the positioning thing as well.

@B15hop: DMP actually used to have a bug where it would delete everything, but that was ages ago. But either way DMP still needs vessel permissions, although that does depend on groups. When I have time to put into DMP I do want to finish off these last few things.

@VITAS: It's nothing yet, but it should be part of DMPServer/DMPClient core ;)

Question?

I have a Custom Tech Tree me and my friends want to use but when we go into the DMP game Tech Manager will not let us load up the custom tech tree. Tech Manager is not even there to work it seems.

Is there anyway to implement a custom tech tree into a DMP game?

Also my and the other BrownCoats are waiting for the scared science update.

I've tested DMP for a few days now and I've set up quite a cluster of KSP servers privately for me and my friends and public ones for everbody and I am very surprised by the stability and functionality.

I am hosting the servers on a Linux Debian dedicated machine using the regular mono. Works absolutely flawless and eats super little resources. As clients we are using Windows and OSX and so far all our problems have been caused by lags and physics ....-ups on the Mac; we've lost several bases because just before landing lags cause the "planet to fly downwards" which caused our stationary bases to basically shoot up and explode violently.

Other than that, I'm very happy with this mod. It's the missing piece of KSP, the career mode is fine and everything but stuff is getting boring when you're always alone. Seeing a server universe grow from four players is great and especially when you can collaborate to make huge space stations and bases together. This mod is most important to me, I'd go as far an say that this should be integrated into legacy KSP!

Hopefully I can fork and support this project a little bit on github as I like doing C#, a lot. Obviously there's room for improvements, from configurability over synchronising speeds to usability but as the mod is right now, it's completely playable and makes a ton of fun.

Thank you, godarklight, for making and maintaining this awesome project. I wish for a very long life of this mod and that it may never stop being developed. Keep up the great work!

BiG KSP DMP Servers

This mod is fantastic, I set up a private server for my friends and myself and been having a blast. One thing we would like is to be able to be a passenger and have someone else fly us around. Right now whenever we get into someone elses ship as a passenger we steal ownership. I dunno if this is a bug but it definitely would be cool if at some point one of us could be the pilot and other people can go into a passenger capsule as the crew.

@SheepDog2142: I'd probably have to work with the custom tech tree mod - but DMP is pretty meta in this area, so it could possibly be a bug with the way techtree detects a first start.

I'm thinking about going straight for DMP 0.2.0.0, I will do groups, shared science and vessel permissions, but I've been a little side tracked lately. I will get there :)

Also be careful of the alliance and, "

"

@Gachl: DMPServer is pretty stable these days, although it is a bit hard on the bandwidth. DMPClient is kind of a tangled mess when it comes to vessels, there's a few things that need to be sorted out - the most core feature is surface positioning still doesn't take the different terrain spawning into account.

Also if you're thinking about contributing, definitely visit us on IRC - You'll have a few head scratching moments and I might need to explain some areas :)

@mojobojo: I know about this one, a docking / boarding forces control off the other player. I might change it so the original player keeps control, but applies the part update. https://github.com/godarklight/DarkMultiPlayer/issues/200.

Hi,

Does DMP currently (or plan on) supporting CKAN? (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100067-The-Comprehensive-Kerbal-Archive-Network-%28CKAN%29-Package-Manager)

i see some potential in pushing a packages.config (or similiar) to each client in order to tell them which mods they should download.

Similiar to Nuget

You mean like this?

ckan.png

It's also mentioned in the OP :P

EDIT: I just realised you were talking about integration rather than CKAN support itself. When CKAN settles down a bit I'll write something around CKAN that can install or remove mods, but CKAN needs a reverse file listing first (like apt-file) so we can pass DMPModControl.txt.

Edited by godarklight