DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

• 2 weeks later...
On 30.12.2016 at 11:05 PM, Ryancomet said:

hey, i am getting an error when people disconnect it doesn't log them out of the server, and when they reconnect they have to change there name so the server slowly fills up. how do if fix this?

I had a similar problem: 
when my laptop run out of batterie and I tried reconnecting with my workstation.
(of course with the same nickname and same publickey/config files)

If they don't change/delete(?) their private-/public-key they are able to connect with the same nickname.

Sounds like a instable connection.
Make sure they wait for the server timeout - should be 20 seconds (?) - before reconnecting.

Edited by Eld0r

I have a problem! Me and my friend are in the same server but none of our vehicles are synced! we're on career mode, and our science and money are not synced either. We can't view eachothers flights. Its basically like we both started a new game and all we have together is the chat box.

16 hours ago, LightninClaw said:

I have a problem! Me and my friend are in the same server but none of our vehicles are synced! we're on career mode, and our science and money are not synced either. We can't view eachothers flights. Its basically like we both started a new game and all we have together is the chat box.

Career and science modes are quite buggy with DMP.

22 hours ago, LightninClaw said:

6 hours ago, RockyTV said:

Career and science modes are quite buggy with DMP.

But we can help each other's missions in same server. because of sharing vessels and Kerbals.

On 9/12/2016 at 4:35 PM, RockyTV said:

Just wanted to give an update to you guys.
1.2.2 was released and yes, DMP does work with 1.2.2. I already updated the compatibility checker and the change is up; however, we're not tagging it yet (releasing a new version). I want to add as many fixes and features I can before tagging a new version, so, for now, use the dev build to play. There were no protocol changes so the dev build works with 0.2.4.0 (KSP 1.2.1) servers.

Which features are currently being worked on?

thanks for helping us all have fun!

hello everyone,
                              I'm trying to do a LAN party... Unfortunately every request sent to the hosting machine cannot be approved(  well I don't see any request to approve).

here's the step i follow:

-open KSP (with both machine)
-the hosting machine start a game
-the client machine enter the needed infos in the mod window.
(
name: not too sure here, i use a random name
local IP: 192.168.0.x        dont worry i dont put an ''X'' in there. ;p
port: 6702
)

then, the connection look like it want to work but on the bottom of the mod window on the client side, it's telling me that the host havn't accept the request.
am i supposed to have the mod window on the host side too?(because it's not there)

THANKS FOR HELPING ME
AND STAY SAFE UPTHERE

BTW sorry for the bad english ;^p

14 hours ago, fly_high91 said:

hello everyone,
                              I'm trying to do a LAN party... Unfortunately every request sent to the hosting machine cannot be approved(  well I don't see any request to approve).

here's the step i follow:

-open KSP (with both machine)
-the hosting machine start a game
-the client machine enter the needed infos in the mod window.
(
name: not too sure here, i use a random name
local IP: 192.168.0.x        dont worry i dont put an ''X'' in there. ;p
port: 6702
)

then, the connection look like it want to work but on the bottom of the mod window on the client side, it's telling me that the host havn't accept the request.
am i supposed to have the mod window on the host side too?(because it's not there)

THANKS FOR HELPING ME
AND STAY SAFE UPTHERE

BTW sorry for the bad english ;^p

To many variables to say for sure what the problem is.

1. Is the server set up correctly. No mod window on host sounds worrying. Even the one playing on the host computer (if there is no dedicated server) will need to connect to the server on that same computer.

2. Usually connection problems are caused by firewall blocking incoming connection on the host computer.

14 hours ago, fly_high91 said:

First, as a premise that "DMP server" is under running on the host side PC.
If you tryed to and couldn't connect to the host in the inner network, it might be caused the port settings of the client PC or the port conversion settings of the router, or the firewall settings of each PC.

Edited by EBOSHI

On 12/6/2016 at 11:40 PM, Lothsahn said:

That's correct.  Change your username and it should let you login.  Use a username that nobody else will have used.

LMP coming along nicely. Your on the right track Lothsahn. Very nice work on a project that has been very complicated to say the least. Thanks for all you have done to keep it rolling along.  :wink:

On 08/01/2017 at 1:52 PM, silvanus said:

Which features are currently being worked on?

thanks for helping us all have fun!

Well, in the past 2 weeks I've:

• Updated the disclaimer dialog style (it now fits KSP's)
    • Jkeg.png
  • Fixed a bug where players would be randomly disconnected when receiving a chat message
  • Changed the networking thread so it uses Unix time instead of Unity's realtimeSinceStartup

There's a list of issues that need to be fixed/implemented in GitHub, check it out.

2 hours ago, RockyTV said:

Well, in the past 2 weeks I've:

• Updated the disclaimer dialog style (it now fits KSP's)
    • Jkeg.png
  • Fixed a bug where players would be randomly disconnected when receiving a chat message
  • Changed the networking thread so it uses Unix time instead of Unity's realtimeSinceStartup

There's a list of issues that need to be fixed/implemented in GitHub, check it out.

Awesome!

Have you made attempts to fix the docking issue recently or is the task daunting to such a degree that you are awaiting a holy light to shine upon an easy solution?

5 hours ago, silvanus said:

Awesome!

Have you made attempts to fix the docking issue recently or is the task daunting to such a degree that you are awaiting a holy light to shine upon an easy solution?

Silvanus:

What Docking issue are you talking about?

6 hours ago, silvanus said:

Awesome!

I've never messed around with docking, all the current code was done by @godarklight. If you mean jumping vessels, perhaps I could get the interpolation feature from LMP and implement it in DMP.

And just a quick update: I've finally fixed an exploit related to flags. The fix is in the unstable branch, so please test it (client, server). It is compatible with 0.2.4.1, but the fix is in both client and server.

Edited by RockyTV

19 hours ago, Lothsahn said:

Silvanus:

What Docking issue are you talking about?

If you try docking while one vessel is being controlled by another player or if just spectate the docking, it will most likely result in a duplicate vessel that crashes into the original followed by explosions all over

27 minutes ago, silvanus said:

If you try docking while one vessel is being controlled by another player or if just spectate the docking, it will most likely result in a duplicate vessel that crashes into the original followed by explosions all over

yep same here.

Also in this scenerio: one landed on moon: target it and land next to the one on the moon all kinds of great things happen *BOOM* I believe this one is related to the raytrace hack darklight was talking about. Proceedural moon on different clients height maps. In other words the height of the land is different on both clients. So when you goto land the alitutde may say 100 ft but actually you are at zero feet which results in a crash into surface but on your client it looks like you still at 100 ft.

With or without mechjeb and over a lan

Edited by Redneck

Thought I might check up on the forum thread... :P

@Redneck from what I managed to gather when working on the raytrace hack, KSP appears to use some type of wave function for the ground, and polling the PQS actually returns the same values no matter the quality setting. I believe the problem is where the verticies are placed on the ground, because if they aren't in the same position, you get a problem that looks like this (imagine this as a 2D cross section):

V6Vr99V.png

The black line is the wave function, the red line is an example of "client A", the blue line is an example of "client B". They both have the same number of sample points but the blue line's sample points are just slightly offset to the right compared to the red.

If I could chose to magically make a problem disappear out of KSP, this is the one I'd pick first if they are serious about tackling multiplayer. In a non-multiplayer context though, the one I'd want fixed is the ability to start the game at all. Thanks Unity 5.

Hey Dark :) 

Lol that makes it kinda hard to debug huh? :fistbump:

EDIT: I wonder (im not a coder) but is there a way to make the surface the same on both clients. To do away or leave out the procedual part during creation of the universe. Maybe take a snapshot of mun for example, send to other clients, all have the same terrain

Edited by Redneck

Hence why I tell RockyTV my hunches and he's been doing the git committing and replying here.

I think my ultimate hope is that LMP kicks DMP's behind, as an active mod developed by someone who actually plays KSP has at least a chance of fixing problems that arise. I nearly didn't want to update to 1.2 and just do what KMP did, by locking and forwarding - but they've rewritten some parts that need a bit more work from what I've heard. Surely with time though they'll be better, if they aren't already :)

EDIT: The procedural bit is completely deterministic, as in y=x^2, but if you draw a line from 0-1 you get a different line then if you draw a line from 0.5 to 1.5, despite coming from the same function. If the points could be binned somehow, I suspect that is what would fix it, but I know almost nothing about how KSP samples the ground and draws the mesh. The solution shouldn't require network transfers, just some type of way of making the ground completely deterministic, such as binning the origin of the ground mesh to the nearest 2km grid or something along those lines (although I suspect this isn't how KSP does the ground, so that might be impossible)

I might actually make a quick little mod that someone else can video to demonstrate what the PQS actually looks like around the vessel, if I can get someone else to record it to show you what I mean.

Edited by godarklight

2 minutes ago, godarklight said:

Hence why I tell RockyTV my hunches and he's been doing the git committing and replying here.

I think my ultimate hope is that LMP kicks DMP's behind, as an active mod developed by someone who actually plays KSP has at least a chance of fixing problems that arise. I nearly didn't want to update to 1.2 and just do what KMP did, by locking and forwarding - but they've rewritten some parts that need a bit more work from what I've heard. Surely with time though they'll be better, if they aren't already :)

RockyTV has done a great job to :fistbump: Between LMP and DMP though take parts from this one and parts from that one I see a great future for multiplay. The lag and jitter in LMP is practically none to the eye up to this point. Lothsahn still working on it but I was amazed by how smooth it was up to orbit. I see good things ahead for DMP and LMP

9 hours ago, silvanus said:

Oh, yeah, I haven't even gotten to that.  Trying to do reliable position updates first. :)  But yes, I do expect to fix that.

26 minutes ago, godarklight said:

I might actually make a quick little mod that someone else can video to demonstrate what the PQS actually looks like around the vessel, if I can get someone else to record it to show you what I mean.

let me know ill help anyway I can. Ill live stream it to youtube. Or however you want to set it up