DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

I too have had the same issue as deathsoul097, just once so far though. Posted about how when it came straight down to Kerbin the crew module managed to survive, having used the rest of the entire station as a 'crumple zone'. Just wanted to confirm that it's not just one person experiencing it. We've also had a LOT of the duplication bugs. Seperate two ships via a docking port, duplication. EVA from a pod, duplication, etc. Basically any time you create another entity it duplicates, although we don't usually notice them until we rejoin.

Ok with 1.1.1 I made someone's station vanish. :/ A player asked why his ship was flying awkwardly so I went to check it out. He was near a station he was trying to dock with. I could only "switch to" the station, as is often the case when ships are too near eachother. I used ] to focus on the next nearest ship and poof, his station vanished!

Aaaaand it happened again. My 85 Tonne Orbital Refuelling station just fell out of orbit over the space centre, just as I was about to dock to it. This is beginning to seem like a really serious problem. This time it only lost it's surface velocity. It was still on a decent arc whilst dropping.

@Everyone: I have tomorrow off, player-player docking and then screenshot sharing will be my targets. I'm hoping for a 0.1.2.0 release late tomorrow (18th 0000UTC) assuming I can get a few people from IRC to confirm everything is ok).

@Deathsoul097: Looks like I'll be looking at this as well :).

@Azimech: The "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." error is one from C#, It means your DMP client got a "TCP Connection Refused" packet from whatever you tried to connect to.

As far as I'm aware, this can only be caused by a firewall refusing the connection (and sending a reply saying it's refused, rather than what most people do - just silently drop the connection).

How to turn off this stupid protection? Me and my friend landed 2 ships on minmus and there are 2 options: ships just vanish or they can't be controlled and says something about vessel has been changed in the future. We want to fly together there without losing ships.

I run modded career server with lot of mods.

Edited by cpx

How should i go about hosting a private server, i'm mainly confused about port forwarding

Mornin Mr Happy,

The port forwarding is actually pretty straightforward, but can be a little confusing if you have not doe it before.

The basic process is

1) Log into your modem/router

2) Assign you host PC a static IP address (so it doesn't change every time you restart your pc)

3) Open/forward desired ports (6702 etc) to the IP address you just chose

4) Profit?

There are lots of guides on the internet, but the mechanics of it vary depending on your modem model. Just google it :D

Good Luck!

Aaaaand it happened again. My 85 Tonne Orbital Refuelling station just fell out of orbit over the space centre, just as I was about to dock to it. This is beginning to seem like a really serious problem. This time it only lost it's surface velocity. It was still on a decent arc whilst dropping.

Are you using any mods? I had that happen once as noted, but now it seems like it's just deleting the stations. They might be losing all velocity and then plummeting, all I know is they vanish from view when getting close. I did a complete reinstall, with mods and tried to dock once but it seemed to go away. Had no vanishing stations but this time it was around the Mun. I'm curious if there's some sort of odd dll conflict so let's compare notes?

Amazing work! Me and a friend have been trying KMP from time to time since the first version was released. DMP steps it up a notch.

From a few tests:

- roving around on Kerbin is a lot smoother and less buggy

- changing state of lights, gear, solar panels, etc... it just works

- a player joining a ship you're about to rendez-vous/dock with keeps it in more or less the same position

Notes (I know it's very early in development :)):

- EVA on Kerbin did not remove the EVA'd Kerbin from the capsule

- Invalid DMP message (github)

- Docking distance was off by 40 to 70 meters, but I read that this is a known issue and I know that docking is WIP. Otherwise docking went just fine (2 player test, other player did not move).

Edited by Firebird

@cpy/@Vladthemad: I've fixed the disappearing vessels bug in dev - The destroy event fires on the next update after vessel.Die, I was only blocking the destruction around vessel.Die()...

I'll still need to poke the loss of all orbital velocity however.

@inigma: And I'll have to create a status page so I can port my server list over, you can still host it if you like :).

@Firebird: I don't transfer solar panels until KMP does, the full update. But I do transfer lights, brakes, gear, rcs and sas on every tick.

I never quite figured out what that offset was during my KMP development orbit branch.

If you get really close to the vessel you will probably also notice there's about 0.1m/s (radial out?) velocity difference (as in the position jumps away 0.1m/s but the target velocity is 0m/s). I'm unsure if that's KSP floating point oddness, or if I'm setting the velocity to what it should be but the position is slightly out and that's the velocity vector difference between the 2 positions.

The oddest thing of all is that the position error is a stable error, as if the orbit position and the vessel position are offset by KSP somehow. I'll dig into it eventually :).

@Player-player docking is mostly complete in dev, screenshots are also in dev - But I'm holding off until I know I haven't botched the release like 0.1.1.0 :P

I registered on the site just to share my enthusiasm for what you are doing with this mod. Multiplayer is the holy grail as far as Kerbal is concerned IMO, and I'm excited to see what you do.

That said, a few days ago I tried this with a friend and we had a few issues. Disappearing ships (which it appears you've now fixed) and lots of synch issues with positions jumping. Still better than KMP though IMO.

Please keep updating and working on this - it's loads of fun when it works...

Fixed the issue with vanishing ships? Sweet...how long before it's release? Is the dev version somewhat stable? I only experienced the velocity loss once, don't know how often it happens. To be honest, I seem to recall this happening in single player too once or twice too.

"Is the dev version somewhat stable" - I haven't been able to personally just sit down and play KSP/DMP for a little while, but from what I gather in the IRC it should be pretty sane ;)

I'll probably release today - Just want to make a few UI tweaks and then I'll be happy with calling it 0.1.2.0 ;)

Well, that looks interesting.

I never got myself to try KMP, I might try this though :) .

Now, that's too bad I can't host this on my linux-based NAS... I think it's time I restart my old gaming machine and turn it into a server!

Version 0.1.2.0 is now available on my build server / DMPUpdater

@Thomas988: I changed the handshake reply message to include the reason for disconnection, so it's a protocol break. Luckily, all of those problems should be gone starting with 0.1.2.0.

MrFreake (chickenkiller), and my servers all update automatically, so you'll need to run DMPUpdater/install the new version ;).

EDIT: Ok, chickenkiller release doesn't update automatically. If you like the chickenkiller servers, dev does automatically update, and dev is release at the moment (port 6704).

EDIT 2: @Shivaran: DMP's server requirements are nearly nothing (currently using 12mb of ram, 0% cpu on my release server), and people have ran it on a raspberry pi before - I wouldn't be too surprised if it ran on your NAS as well, so long as you have mono installed (mono-complete on debian).

EDIT 3: I knew I'd find something for 0.1.2.1. I'll fix "Uploading screenshots..." from being in the screenshot tomorrow :P

Edited by godarklight

I get a "Connection Error" message when trying to join your server, the full message is:

Connection error: Can not establish a connection because the target machine actively refused that address

And also, if Google Translate messed that up, original message (Its on spanish...)

Connection error: No se puede establecer una conexion ya que el equipo de destino denego expresamente dicha direccion

Any idea of why that happens?