DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

Hello,

I installed the client and server on my computer using DMPUpdater.exe (I launched it on the KSP game folder AND in the server game folder).

I launch the server, it says all is OK (I also opened the port 6702).

I launch KSP, I see the Darkmultiplayer menu, I connect to my local server, it begin to load some stuff, but at a moment I have the following error :

Connection ended: Unhandled error while syncing!

Do you have any ideas on that error and the way to solve it ?

Go back about 2 pages in the thread. There is a term search feature in these forums as well.

Feature requests:

1. Does the server keep the game clock ticking when no one is connected? If it does, IMHO it shouldn't, and I would like a server option for this.

2. An option to not sync players to the farthest-future subspace on joining. I want to pick up my missions where I left them off, not fourteen goddamn years in the future.

@Nemrav: There might be other issues with DMP, but you definitely don't need to send it out to the internet and back (I'm not even sure if this is possible). Connect to your network address instead (Usually 192.168.0.something).

@forfeit: I know there's definitely some 0.24 issues, I believe KSP has slightly changed the way games are started, so I need to dig into that, and the forceQuit method too (Forcing KSP back to the main menu causes a blurry version of the tracking station to load, so I've disabled it).

@NFUN: Or you could just say use the dev version with 0.24 ;)

@SilverlightPony:

1) The server definitely "ticks" even if nobody is connected, or even if the server isn't even running. The planetarium clock is locked to the server clock for very good reasons. However, it would be fairly easy to add an option to make the server universe go back in time upon connecting :)

2) Bad news, And this is directly related to the subspace system. DMPServers job is to hold just enough data to send the player into the latest subspace, It does not hold onto historic updates. So unfortunately, this isn't possible, and it will always send you to the latest time.

The only exception to this is to allow players to sync to the subspace they were in, but it will already have all of the future updates applied (but they would just wind back along their saved rails). This will only work if the server doesn't get shut down.

@Ghostexx7: All the servers on the server list that have "37f3698 (protocol 24)" in the version field.

@SilverlightPony:

1) The server definitely "ticks" even if nobody is connected, or even if the server isn't even running. The planetarium clock is locked to the server clock for very good reasons. However, it would be fairly easy to add an option to make the server universe go back in time upon connecting :)

This would be appreciated.

2) Bad news, And this is directly related to the subspace system. DMPServers job is to hold just enough data to send the player into the latest subspace, It does not hold onto historic updates. So unfortunately, this isn't possible, and it will always send you to the latest time.

The only exception to this is to allow players to sync to the subspace they were in, but it will already have all of the future updates applied (but they would just wind back along their saved rails). This will only work if the server doesn't get shut down.

This (the bolded bit) should work, as long as no one else messes with one's orbiting stuff, and would be extremely appreciated.

How difficult would it be to sync to players in the past, in order to spectate someone that's behind you?

To my knowledge, based on his latest post, I don't think the server retains those historic updates, and only the clients have them. It would provably take a non-trivial rewrite of the sync code in order to make that work, along with more memory needed and potentially more lag. Personally, I want normal syncs to be completely functional before such an overhaul (which he is working on).

@godarklight, in regards to the "all orbital velocity lost" bug, I may have encountered its opposite on my server a day or two ago. One of my players had a craft suddenly gain an enormous amount of speed, heading off on a Kerbol escape trajectory into interstellar space.

UNHANDLED ERROR WHILE SYNCING IS CAUSED BY USING DMP 0.1.4.2 ON KSP 0.24

I'm sorry for this, but please try to read or search the forum before asking this question, or check the github page. Normally I wouldn't care, but this question has been answered several times.

For some reason I can't use Marquee here, but I can in other forums... :(

Edited by NFUN

UNHANDLED ERROR WHILE SYNCING IS CAUSED BY USING DMP 0.1.4.2 ON KSP 0.24

I'm sorry for this, but please try to read or search the forum before asking this question, or check the github page. Normally I wouldn't care, but this question has been answered several times.

For some reason I can't use Marquee here, but I can in other forums... :(

Well actually, that's not all it can be. Through lot's of testing with my clans server, it seems sometimes when a user's game crashes their scenario data can become corrupt. Whether it's research, progressdata, kethane or any other entry that is within, sometimes the formats can F-up and the player will get a "Connection ended: Unhandled error while syncing!" error until the admin either deletes the effected files or replaces them with backups.

Not saying that is necessarily what these guys issue, but try not to make sure-fire statements unless you know the full context of the problem. It would have been better to simply ask for more information from rafael or bythehand than just telling them to search the forum.

Edited by PhoenixTheSage

Hello, I have a bug-fix / workaround in case anyone is having a similar issue.

Bug: Unable to recover vessel or return to space center. Trying to recover gives you a "No Target" error.

Possible Fix: Have the player delete "persistent.sfs" from KerbalSpaceProgram\saves\DarkMultiPlayer

Their save information should be re-synced from the server when they connect with the name they were previously using.

This bug made it impossible for a player recover any vessel, every time, even after server restarts.

My friend and I are both currently playing KSP 0.24 with the following:

DMP Development build Tag: 37f3698b4a4c7cde12db60206138f51cbf978118

Build date: Fri Jul 18 12:07:44 UTC 2014

Additional Mods we both use:

DebRefund-1.0.11

Ferram_Aerospace_Research-v0.14.0.2.zip

RemoteTech-v1.4.0.zip

Toolbar-1.7.4

When experiencing the bug, debug mode (alt+F12) included the following error:

DarkMultiPlayer: Threw in UpdateEvent, exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I hope this helps! I have not played much after finding this yet, but I noticed I was able to recover a Vessel now.

I had a curiosity for future versions. Since you are already sending out vessel info, would it also be possible to send out flag info? That way if you are using a non-stock flag, it will report appropriately for everyone?

Hello, I have a bug-fix / workaround in case anyone is having a similar issue.

Bug: Unable to recover vessel or return to space center. Trying to recover gives you a "No Target" error.

Possible Fix: Have the player delete "persistent.sfs" from KerbalSpaceProgram\saves\DarkMultiPlayer

Their save information should be re-synced from the server when they connect with the name they were previously using.

This bug made it impossible for a player recover any vessel, every time, even after server restarts.

My friend and I are both currently playing KSP 0.24 with the following:

DMP Development build Tag: 37f3698b4a4c7cde12db60206138f51cbf978118

Build date: Fri Jul 18 12:07:44 UTC 2014

Additional Mods we both use:

DebRefund-1.0.11

Ferram_Aerospace_Research-v0.14.0.2.zip

RemoteTech-v1.4.0.zip

Toolbar-1.7.4

When experiencing the bug, debug mode (alt+F12) included the following error:

DarkMultiPlayer: Threw in UpdateEvent, exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I hope this helps! I have not played much after finding this yet, but I noticed I was able to recover a Vessel now.

thx for the tweak, we have the same issue here :)

oh, so I can't join server until the mod gets updated for .24?

If you have it with Steam you can download the previous stable version, which will work. Also, on the serverlist, the servers running 37f3698 work with .24, so long as you have the dev build installed, rather than the release one.

If you have it with Steam you can download the previous stable version, which will work. Also, on the serverlist, the servers running 37f3698 work with .24, so long as you have the dev build installed, rather than the release one.

int chars = 10

@Darkstar616: It would still be nice to figure out, it shouldn't hang at all. If you put it on your desktop it should complain about not being in the KSP or DMPServer folder though...

@Preliator: The only reason DMP exists is because *I* want to play multiplayer with others, but generally the more bugs I fix the more people will hopefully want to play it.

@DuoDex:

(This video was never released because it honestly sucks), but seriously, DMPServer runs completely fine under mono, it's actually developed and compiled under mono as well, being on linux myself. @perds provides proof :)

Thanks!! I was going to set up a 6gb, 24-slot DMP server on a eensy-weensy Linux distro with MechJeb, a few parts mods, Kethane and Lazor System but didn't know if it would work. Woot!

@SilverlightPony: I've implemented the syncing to where you where thing in a custom branch, giving it a little test before I see if everything is ok

@TranquilTempest: Syncing to the past won't be possible - It's a combination of the way DMP works with subspaces and historic updates.

@NFUN: It definitely appears the normal sync has been broken, even in dev. It appears to be loading persistent.sfs for some unknown reason (I don't explicitly load the data). I've still yet to work out the final kinks in the 0.24 update.

@Everyone with "Connection ended: Unhandled error while syncing!" - Use dev for 0.24 and release 0.23.5. Dev isn't compatible with 0.23.5 and release isn't compatible with 0.24.

@PhoenixTheSage: There are other things that can cause that error, If you have a dev server that throws the error, sending affected files to me might help :)

@Meteo: Related to KSP loading the game data on start now. It's pretty annoying ;)

@PringleMan: Flag syncing is in dev (I think it might be in the 0.1.4 series too) but it hasn't had a lot of testing. It only syncs things in the DarkMultiPlayer/Flags/ directory.

Also, the plugins folder is for DMPServer plugins, it works very similar to the way KSP's GameData works, but do not put client mods in the server folder, they are different. Currently there is an IRC connector by RockyTV, and I've got a few debugging plugins for code that doesn't belong in the DMPServer repo.

I'm working on the 0.24 oddness still, but I haven't been working on it every day. I'm close to pushing a dev version when I can figure out KSP's weirdness :P.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.