DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

This is a horrible bug report, since I haven't narrowed down a cause yet, but maybe someone has seen the issue before. We had a half dozen playing on the server last night, with a couple of client crashes here and there. At some point a vessel must've been corrupted, because at the end of the evening nobody could recover, revert or return to the space center. My client told me there was a kerbal on a ladder, which wasn't the case.

I saved the Universe\ directory to look at later when I have more time, I'll let you know if I find anything obvious there. Once Universe\Vessels was cleaned out everyone had to delete their persistent.sfs file but things are back to normal now.

I seem to be having the same issue. It's only happened once for me, so I'm not sure if this is the reason, but it was right after I switched to another spacecraft that I found that I was unable to revert or return to KSC, nor could I switch back to my original ship.

Hi there ! 1st message on the forum, i'm a little bit stressed :)

I've a stupid question : I've downloaded both the client and server packages and tried to host a server... I read the DMPServerSettings file but my friend can't reach the party. I admit I don't really know which address use. I tried with and without hamachi. Can somebody help me ? :(

(excuse my english if I made mistakes, it's only my 3rd language)

Hi there ! 1st message on the forum, i'm a little bit stressed :)

I've a stupid question : I've downloaded both the client and server packages and tried to host a server... I read the DMPServerSettings file but my friend can't reach the party. I admit I don't really know which address use. I tried with and without hamachi. Can somebody help me ? :(

(excuse my english if I made mistakes, it's only my 3rd language)

Your english is just fine :)

for the IP to use, if you are hosting it outside of Hamachi, google "what is my IP" and the very first listing is your public IP address (how the rest of the world sees your computer). Try having them put that in. Obviously do that on whatever machine the server is hosted on. If you still cannot get him to connect, come back and tell us. Good luck!

Your english is just fine :)

for the IP to use, if you are hosting it outside of Hamachi, google "what is my IP" and the very first listing is your public IP address (how the rest of the world sees your computer). Try having them put that in. Obviously do that on whatever machine the server is hosted on. If you still cannot get him to connect, come back and tell us. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your quick answer ! The kerbal community is just awesome ! :)

I'll try this as soon as possible and i'll give my feedback. :)

Could you please release a mini update that adds shared science and funds for coop please.

this would be neat, but I would actually be more interested in seeing a plugin that allows you to selectively share funds or research with a person, rather than with everyone. As I have said before on my server we play in "companies," with maybe 2 to 3 people per company and there are bout 4 or 5 companies now. It would be really nice to be able to transfer funds and research to our fellows.

As it stands now, I allow the players to make funds transfer requests via forum submission and then once a day I manually transfer funds using the server scenario files. However this is cumbersom and slows down player's ability to play.

i am having fairly bad problems, when i load the server ksp can crash or freeze, and if i do make it through when i open the load ship tab ksp freez and dosnt load any ship.

please help!

edit: i have no other mods installed.32 bit ksp.

edit2: i also tried adding another server, ksp froze again.

Edited by admiral9347

@Preliator: Getting a malformed handshake was possible during handshake protocol changes, but that hasn't happened for a *very* long time. Just make sure the server and client versions are the same and you should be right.

@comatosed: That VPS sounds decent - I've only ever looked at linode but I've never used it.

@Justinjah91: Generally caused by NullReferenceExceptions thrown by KSP, I'd need to get a hold of output_log.txt to know for sure, but this is more than an educated guess now :).

@Malouxe: Welcome to the forums, There's a few addresses you can use to connect to, there's your local address (127.0.0.1), people in your network would connect to your network address (usually 192.168.0.x), and people outside of your network would connect to your public ip (found on a site like canyouseeme.org). canyouseeme can also check your port forwarding to make sure everything is correct :)

@kaladek51: The vessel replacements have gotten much more unreliable in 0.24.2, I suspect I've got a way to improve them to avoid the explosions

@X.C.M: Shared science / co-op mod play was possible under JoshBlake's branch - I've got to poke at that an integrate it into 0.1.6.

@PringleMan: That requires me to finish my group-system branch, and that's exactly the idea - To share only within a group.

@admiral9347: It might be an idea uploading KSP_Data/output_log.txt to pastebin and attaching it here, Hopefully that contains the info I need.

@crunch: I used to run an australian server a very long time ago, before I started getting capped out every month :P. None of the current servers in the list are tagged AUS :-/

Edited by godarklight

Just wanted to let you know - Running Linux (Ubuntu 13.10) 64 bit edition, KSP and DarkMultiPlayer works beautifully on both KSP 32 and 64bit version.

Only issue is Intermittent: on connecting to server at the end of loading the vessels it hangs... but only sometimes, think it may be related to a specific vessel on that server, but since i'm a client and not host i couldn't say. logging into other servers is no issue.

Heya, Godarklight. Whats the word on the new development build? (AUG 17) Any bugspray in there? lol... also, is there a page for release notes for dev builds? I like to know what I should be looking out for in the way of changes.. :)

Heya, Godarklight. Whats the word on the new development build? (AUG 17) Any bugspray in there? lol... also, is there a page for release notes for dev builds? I like to know what I should be looking out for in the way of changes.. :)

Check his github commits:

https://github.com/godarklight/DarkMultiPlayer/commits/master

@mr_grr2: Broken vessel.txt files would be interesting - If you can track down the issue, it's definitely worth hopping on IRC / posting here about reproduction steps. Some bugs can be easy, some bugs can be a pain :).

@Talavar: Generally dev should only contain bugfixes - I'll release a 0.1.5.1 before we move onto 0.1.6. Also the git log is definitely the way to keep up to date with changes.

@Everyone: I uploaded a video explaining the lack of updates.

TL;DW: DMP's going to have to wait for love, I've started working again, and there's a pesky bug with KillVessel that's still causing grief with docking / quickloading.

Hello All! I just discovered DMP and I'm extremely excited to utilize it. However, I'm having issues making my own server for my friends and I to play on. I've read the documentation, understand port forwarding, etc., but I'm still having issues. Can someone please give some detailed instructions for how to make your own server?

I'm using a Mac and I keep getting the error "connection refused" even when trying to play locally. I'm able to join public servers however.

Thank you!

Hello All! I just discovered DMP and I'm extremely excited to utilize it. However, I'm having issues making my own server for my friends and I to play on. I've read the documentation, understand port forwarding, etc., but I'm still having issues. Can someone please give some detailed instructions for how to make your own server?

I'm using a Mac and I keep getting the error "connection refused" even when trying to play locally. I'm able to join public servers however.

Thank you!

ALSO - Would love some help on how to install mods to the server.... I read the DMPmodcontrol.txt and I'm slightly confused.

Thank you!

what type of router are you using, Kit?

DMZ should be set to your computer address on your router. Make sure you add firewall exceptions, or turn off firewall while running DMP as well. honestly, those are the only two things I had to do on my system to really get it rolling. No port forwarding needed. I use a Belkin (POS), btw.

Edited by Talavar

@kittensfurdays: Running DMPServer shouldn't be too tricky, just extract the zip and run DMPServer.exe. The computer running the server should connect to 127.0.0.1, not the public IP address.

As for mods, the easiest way to set this up would be to open KSP, and hit options -> Generate blacklist DMPModControl.txt, it makes a mod control file specifically for your mod setup. Move the file from KSP_Folder/ into DMPServer/.

Also note: DMPServer/Plugins is for server side plugins only, and there aren't many of those around. I mainly use it to test optional changes - But eventually any network-related mod glue could use DMPServer's plugin system.

@Talavar: I'd recommend getting port forwarding working before using DMZ mainly for security reasons. DMZ forwards everything to a computer, which isn't exactly what you want. You only need TCP port 6702.

EDIT: http://canyouseeme.org/ is the ultimate test for this, if that says success, then the server is running and your port forwarding is correct.

@janiekh: I wouldn't love me if it failed to connect :P. Which server are you trying to connect to, if I can recreate the bug I should be able to fix those ones easily.

@sreventon: Planning that for 0.1.6, I want to give other mods the ability to take over little parts of DMP in order to let them expand DMP in a way they want. The only thing stopping weapon mods is quite small - DMP doesn't send updates for other players crafts (Imagine if they saw you crash but you didn't due to lag - things like that are the reasoning behind that choice).

This is an absolutely amazing mod. However, I do have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I know that proper vessel permissions are planned for a future version but how do things work currently? As far as I can tell, you can't take control of another player's vessel and there doesn't appear to be a setting to change this. Is there any way to change this (I'm on a server with my brother and it would be great to be able to switch who is driving what spacecraft)?

If this is not possible how will things work when we build a space station together? Can we each dock our own spacecraft/modules to the station? Who gets control if this happens? Can resources be transferred between different player's vessels?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.