DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

Are you using any mods? I had that happen once as noted, but now it seems like it's just deleting the stations. They might be losing all velocity and then plummeting, all I know is they vanish from view when getting close. I did a complete reinstall, with mods and tried to dock once but it seemed to go away. Had no vanishing stations but this time it was around the Mun. I'm curious if there's some sort of odd dll conflict so let's compare notes?

Actually, at first, I was on a fully stock installation (Excluding DMP, of course.) and it was happening, so as far as I can tell it is a DMP/Stock problem. It may be exacerbated by some mods, but I only have VOID installed along with DMP, and I have noticed no difference in the frequency of things deciding they should have an instantaneous 200g deceleration.

Actually, at first, I was on a fully stock installation (Excluding DMP, of course.) and it was happening, so as far as I can tell it is a DMP/Stock problem. It may be exacerbated by some mods, but I only have VOID installed along with DMP, and I have noticed no difference in the frequency of things deciding they should have an instantaneous 200g deceleration.

I haven't experienced the issue again...but I do recall it happening once or twice on an older version of KSP...maybe .19 or .20. That may be unrelated though. While it may be fixed now that 1.2.0 is out (Godarklight is pushing these fixes out faster than I can check the forums, haha!) I noticed that things just "vanishing" seemed to happen when there were no kerbals in the ship. If I exited the only kerbal in the ship, it would vanish from under him shortly after. Anyway, from what godarklight said in an earlier post the point is probably moot because he found the issue and fixed it in the latest dev version, and I'm assuming in the latest release version which came after :) Time to update!

Well, that looks interesting.

I never got myself to try KMP, I might try this though :) .

Now, that's too bad I can't host this on my linux-based NAS... I think it's time I restart my old gaming machine and turn it into a server!

Why not? I'm running mine on a remote linux server. You just need mono installed.

EDIT: Dangit! As I continued reading the new posts I saw godarklight beat me to it :)

Edited by Vladthemad

Just a small request. Any chance you can put a default flag selection tool/button on the load screen or somewhere? I hate it when I go to plant a flag after forgetting to select one and it turns out to be blank! :) It'd be easier if it was always the one I selected by default like you can do in stock KSP.

Vladthemad: I'd prefer to make it work like stock KSP. Also, you've given me an idea.

Coming soon: Flags from other players will be downloaded as needed.

Also, I'm fairly sure I have to handle flags in a special way, I'll test this later ;)

EDIT:

@SlimeCrusher - It appears my build server restarted (or my brother sneakily restarted it), and my servers do not automatically come online. I'll have to fix that up :P

@KvickFlygarn87/cpy: Yes. When I get time to actually play with all those asteroids, they'll make it into DMP :)

EDIT 2:

When I get a day off (soon), I'll push for 0.1.2.1. There's enough bugs around that I should specifically just focus on bugfixes ;).

Targets for 0.1.2.1:

* Try every combination of player/player and player/spectator+player docking to make sure everything works (which I know it does not yet)

* Make a handshake failure even more clear (I want the server version made clear on a handshake failure: protocol mismatch) so you know what to connect with (issue #22).

* Remove "Client already connected" if they aren't actually connected (Just have to heartbeat an existing client to make sure it's still there). There's already a 10 second timeout on this but I hit it often enough.

* Handle EVA's properly so I don't get duplicate or disappearing kerbals (issue #19)

* Handle a forward-sync more correctly (If they are far enough in the future, the game could try to apply thousands of updates which will likely cause local duplicates).

* Send full updates when the vessel is renamed (issue #1)

* Send full updates in the atmosphere *if possible* (On kerbin, it should work >22km) (issue #2).

* Handle flags (issue #4), and save selected flag.

* Attempt to fix the "vessels lose all surface velocity" bug while in orbit reported here on the forums.

I'm thinking about the following features for 0.1.3:

* Flag sync (DMP/Flags folder only).

* Fix those ugly UI's. I still have JohannesMP's mockup bookmarked :P

* Make the UI's resizeable, and save their positions.

* Asteroids.

* Server status port, so things like my KMP server list can exist.

Things I'd love to get working eventually:

* In atmosphere vessel loading + vessel range bump to 10km (so you have to stay within 10km, instead of KSP deciding to eat your ships at the 2.5km mark).

* Instant automatic server updating. This will probably be an external program that runs DMPUpdater/DMPUpdater-development, along with automatically restarting DMPServer.

* RCON server port.

Edited by godarklight

EDIT 2: @Shivaran: DMP's server requirements are nearly nothing (currently using 12mb of ram, 0% cpu on my release server), and people have ran it on a raspberry pi before - I wouldn't be too surprised if it ran on your NAS as well, so long as you have mono installed (mono-complete on debian).

Why not? I'm running mine on a remote linux server. You just need mono installed.

EDIT: Dangit! As I continued reading the new posts I saw godarklight beat me to it :)

Well, thanks for the heads up guys!

I guess I'll have to tinker with it a bit :cool:

EDIT: Well, it works like a charm indeed! Thank you guys!

Edited by Shivaran

Vladthemad: I'd prefer to make it work like stock KSP. Also, you've given me an idea.

That's what I meant, something so I can pick my default flag like I can do when I start up a single player game :D Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

These are probably the highlights from dev, but this is all pre-1.0 stuff:

MCW_VOTE mode (just to demonstrate why it's probably a bad idea):

delayed subspace updates:

Probably the holy grail of multiplayer, flying wingman style:

That wingman style video was best case scenario though, it was on the local computer and you need to stay within 2.5km of each other.

I'm going to have a lot of free time again - I'd like to simply play/stream DMP with other players to get a real feel on how it's going and what things I need to work on next. I haven't sat down and simply played KSP for quite a while too :P.

If anyone's interested, jump on IRC when you get the chance (there's a web chat on my build server page).

Edited by godarklight

DarkMultiPlayer 0.1.3.0 has been released on DMPUpdater and my build server..

This release is happening a little early - It doesn't yet contain asteroids or all the bugfixes listed here, but because RockyTV has added the JSON server status thing needed for a server list, I've ported my server list to DMP.

You'll most likely want to bookmark this page now :)

http://chrisand.no-ip.info/dmp-serverlist/

Your_Uncle: I've got a fairly good idea what is causing it: putting a vessel on rails at the wrong time - going on rails while landed makes things stop dead in their tracks, so it's got to be something along these lines. I haven't actually looked into it yet however...

0.1.3.1 will be a bugfix-only release where I'll tackle these kinds of issues though.

My current goal is to just bugfix now, there's enough features in DMP to be playable (although it could look a little prettier), if everything worked correctly with no problems, then I'd be happy to drop the alpha tag :D

After 0.1.3.1, All I've really got for 0.1.4 is asteroids (easy), flag syncing (easy), vessel/group permissions (needs to be easy to use - so probably a little tricky to get right), RockyTV's admin system (nearly complete), and the remote telnet server console (obviously off by default, and will require authentication).

After 0.1.4, I think DMP is kind of... complete?. We'll have to wait and see what KSP 0.24 throws at us :)

Hey Darklight!

Thanks again for helping me out on the IRC the other night. DMP is working perfectly. I've not updated to 1.3 yet, will we lose any progress when this update is applied?

Following DMP with great interest now. Sharing flags would be a great addition since me and my friends like to leave stories for each other to find explaining the outcomes of various missions :D Another would be the ability to donate science to another player.

But, to be honest, it's absolutely playable and we're already loving it to bits. Thanks for your hard work! I'm a community manager by profession, so if you ever get to the stage where you need some help with that, I'll be happy to volunteer. You can find me on twitter @MusterBuster.

Much Love!

MB

Launch game with no mods (excluding DMP) and all I see is a blank box with the words "DarkMultiPlayer"

This is a really, really annoying bug. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by JT2227

From my point of view (someone who runs a couple of servers and so far only plays with friends) the current version is pretty damn close to everything I ever dreamed of. The sandbox mode works well, I have only noticed a few of the bugs listed on the bug tracker.

For career mode, shared science is a feature I'm well keen on (unless you snuck that in without me noticing?) and ditto for shared kethane maps. I'm assuming that whatever wizardry you use to get that working will be transferable to the missions/money/reputation that gets added in .24.

Admin rights and vessel permissions are a must for public servers, while flags and asteroids are a good feature to have.

I agree with you that after that, DMP will be largely feature complete- and KSP players everywhere will rejoice.

Awesome work on the mod so far.

Ill shout you a beer if you are ever in Perth.

@cpy: It most definitely does *not* need admin rights, nor should you give it admin rights.

@MusterBuster: "DMP is working perfectly", You haven't tried hard enough to break it :D

@Tantalus792: Thanks, My main aim is to be able to play multiplayer with others too until Squad releases their multiplayer

@Byter: http://chrisand.no-ip.info/dmp-serverlist/ looks pretty bad, If you want to have a little play with the CSS I'd happily change the default.

@Your_Uncle: "shared science" is something that I know how to do the dodgy way (simply replace the science and hope for the best), but I think it's going to be more complicated than that. I have a feeling that's not going to work for a lot of mod data, perhaps there's only parts of the data that should be replaced. There's also going to be some paradoxical situations where one person buys one thing with the points, and another person buys another thing - The question is how to handle situations like this...

Also I'm on pretty much the exact opposite side of Australia :)

EDIT: You can already have shared kethane maps, kinda. Connect with kethane to a server, and then copy your kethane data into the "Scenarios/Initial" folder. The seed and locations will be the same, but the actual amount of kethane will be local to the player.

EDIT 2 (missed it sorry): @JT2227: Can you upload KSP_folder/KSP_Data/output_log.txt to pastebin - Those types of errors I do treat seriously, you shouldn't be able to completely break DMP :).

Edited by godarklight

Hmmm... Added back the old mods, and removed old ones. No Output_log.txt file anymore. I deleted old mods again and added DMP once again, now it seems to work... Weird... Awesome mod though! I'll try it when I have free time!

Edited by JT2227

@godarklight but it does not work if i don't give it admin rights, if i cancel UAC prompt it does nothing, folder have security rights for access and write even by non privileged user accounts.

Config/Readme file should explain a bit more about warp modes:

#3 - SUBSPACE_SIMPLE

#4 - SUBSPACE

What's the difference?

There is one more thing when i close server it crash.

VPWCg4n.jpg

Starting updater:

8u8EQFj.jpg

Starting server without admin rights:

[11:37:24][ERROR] : Error while starting HTTP server: System.Net.HttpListenerException (0x80004005): Access is denied

at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()

at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()

at DarkMultiPlayerServer.Server.StartHTTPServer()

Please try running the server as an administrator.

[11:37:24][iNFO] : Done!

[11:37:27][iNFO] : Command input:

[11:37:27][FATAL] : Error in command handler thread, Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at DarkMultiPlayerServer.CommandHandler.ThreadMain()

[11:37:27][iNFO] : Shutting down - Caught Crtl+C

[11:37:27][iNFO] : Stopping HTTP server...

[11:37:29][iNFO] : Goodbye!

Edited by cpx