DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

Just wanted to let you guys know that we have a KSP Multiplayer Server up and running 24/7. It is done by the Spearhead Gaming community and the IP is as follows:

Server Name: Spearhead Gaming Darkmod & Server IP: 50.97.34.100:6802

Posting this in the General forum section also.

All good - if you want to show up on the public server lists you'll have to install the server reporter plugin though (I checked, it's not on there)

Wait, DMP uses TCP?
I think so.

Yes, TCP makes my life much easier and I can chose what messages to throw away when things start getting a bit laggy, rather than trying to detect UDP packet loss, retransmit, and sequence all by myself :).

With little packet loss TCP is just as fast as UDP anyway (and the only things that cannot be thrown out are the position updates), although I'm not fully against looking at UDP in the future (And it wouldn't be *too* tricky to port as DMP is a message based protocol), but for now it just works.

Hey!

I love this mod and hadn't many issues so far. The biggest problem is when playing in career mode, Kerbals are losing XP, crews are listed as assigned even if they are already recovered and sometimes all astronauts (btw I have like 25 even though no one hired any) go MIA and I can't hire new ones because I am above the limit (firing all the ones MIA solves this but then all XP is lost once again). Then at some point later, some of those MIA are suddenly available again. This being said, we are not using the same Kerbals and it affects even those not used by anyone.

These things seem to happen seemingly randomly when launching/recovering missions, synching or someone connecting to the server. Has someone managed to find a pattern and how to avoid this? Maybe some kind of workaround or steps to help reduce this happening.

Thank you!

@treesniper12: It looked correct to me, perhaps you have two seperate modems and routers, if you visit me on IRC some time I might be able to help you more directly :)

@Lycake: I am aware about it, I'll have to change the way kerbals are currently synced :-/.

@Everyone: I've put a bit of time into DMP lately, and I've solved some pretty big issues :D

The first is Improved HackyInAtmoLoad (tricking KSP into loading vessels in the atmosphere is fun!). This video also *kind of* shows off the new warp rework - "Kicked for creating subspace" is gone, along with "T+ 00:00:00 Unknown", DMP knows all the players times now.

The second is Improved PartKiller (and docking with it), PartKiller was messing up and deleting things it really shouldn't have, along with not deleting things it should have (Basically it's to remove parts that break off other players vessels to avoid you both syncing back debris and duplicating it). This video also shows off the ground-fudger, rovers are now a lot better than they were before but it's still not perfect - it's caused by KSP having completely different ground across different game clients.

There's also been a bit of a change to the way we do branches as well.

Release is the latest tagged version as before, development is now release + bugfixes - it will stay compatible with release.

Unstable breaks network compatibility with release in order to make network changes, but "unstable" is probably a bad name for it as it's kept in a constantly "safe" state to use - this becomes the next version when everything is ready.

Speaking of which, it looks like I'll release this week, all the above issues were causing me a lot of grief when trying to play on public servers, and this goes a long way to fixing them (and even though I've skipped out on vessel permissions again, these changes feel a bit too important to hold back).

@treesniper12: It looked correct to me, perhaps you have two seperate modems and routers, if you visit me on IRC some time I might be able to help you more directly :)

@Lycake: I am aware about it, I'll have to change the way kerbals are currently synced :-/.

@Everyone: I've put a bit of time into DMP lately, and I've solved some pretty big issues :D

The first is Improved HackyInAtmoLoad (tricking KSP into loading vessels in the atmosphere is fun!). This video also *kind of* shows off the new warp rework - "Kicked for creating subspace" is gone, along with "T+ 00:00:00 Unknown", DMP knows all the players times now.

The second is Improved PartKiller (and docking with it), PartKiller was messing up and deleting things it really shouldn't have, along with not deleting things it should have (Basically it's to remove parts that break off other players vessels to avoid you both syncing back debris and duplicating it). This video also shows off the ground-fudger, rovers are now a lot better than they were before but it's still not perfect - it's caused by KSP having completely different ground across different game clients.

There's also been a bit of a change to the way we do branches as well.

Release is the latest tagged version as before, development is now release + bugfixes - it will stay compatible with release.

Unstable breaks network compatibility with release in order to make network changes, but "unstable" is probably a bad name for it as it's kept in a constantly "safe" state to use - this becomes the next version when everything is ready.

Speaking of which, it looks like I'll release this week, all the above issues were causing me a lot of grief when trying to play on public servers, and this goes a long way to fixing them (and even though I've skipped out on vessel permissions again, these changes feel a bit too important to hold back).

Nice! I feel as if the PartKiller hack isn't aggressive enough though; it still takes a while for the vessel(s) to be recreated. Also, what is the outcome when a vessel collides with another vessel, and the debris collides with each other? The outcomes on both clients may not be the same.

The physics are also quite choppy. I wonder if there's any way to override that.

Maayyybbbeeeee :D

Wow! I have never seen such smooth motion. That is definitely a significant change from how physics was extrapolated almost 9 months ago.

From this video, though, I see you haven't addressed the problem that the hack doesn't attempt to recover the target when it gets disintegrated by the atmosphere behavior and reappears. If anything, the client should try to continuously search for any missing crafts that have disappeared to make them reappear more frequently.

Also, what about rotation? Has that been recently addressed?

Popping in once again with another help request. I have karbonite installed on KSP along with DMP (and plenty of other mods) but even after I've researched the required techs in the multiplayer science game, I cannot find the KA-100 Array part which is required to find the darn karbonite in the first place! I've run a sandbox game in both DMP and solo play and the part sits there fine and dandy. I've also gone into the R&D file in the player section of the server folder, and it shows the part=KA.DetectionArray.01 bit clear as day (which I'm assuming is what's important here). Has anyone seen this before and got any ideas?

Guys, is there a way to spectate the other player from launch on (while the ship is still inside the bubble)?

We tried to do a dual flight, and if you place a command pod, and a remote guidance unite on the same plane/rocket then the 2nd person can connect to the same ship and will be a spectater, but only if the ship is outside the bubble...

Is there a way to pass the control between the two players?

@Everyone, So my internet has been a bit flakely lately - it was down last night which is why DMPUpdater chucked a fit :(. I'll have to change DMPUpdater so it falls back to d-mp.org (although CKAN pretty much replaces it, however it doesn't support dev/unstable).

@Yru0: DMP simply does not hide parts. All DMP does is say "If you have a part not on the whitelist, you can launch but not sync the vessel to the server, or you can't launch at all" (depending on the server setting) - it comes up with yellow writing on the launch pad though.

@kelemenlajos: Currently not at the moment - although it would be nice to have, I'm not entirely sure it's possible... I guess what would kind of work is having a rover near the pad and switching when they launch, but that's not the best solution :-/. The only reason the safety bubble exists is because I can't spawn in vessels in no-clip mode, and KSP is kind of funny with the spawn areas.

Sorry if repeating a question, but many many pages makes answer easy to miss....

How to keep Kerbal experience and KSC upgrade progress in career mode?

Is it a problem my side or is it just not possible with DMP yet?

edit: found answer and it made me sad.... still, mp is better than no mp

Edited by DirtyFace83

is there any eta on the shared career mode? I have a new stream series planned to play multiplayer with my patrons on live stream pending the release of the full co-op multiplayer career mode of DMP

I can't find any option to disable "revert flight" though it's in the vanilla custom difficulty options. is it possible for you to add that? I'm trying to set up a custom difficulty with more permanent choices

Think it is in the Option window (before you login to server)

on my private server i can not revert, its always grayed out.

only terminate in tracking center.

but dont know now how i set up that (7 months ago).

isnt there an option in the servers config file?

will have a look to it tonight (after server update).

but btw: reverting is not that good for long-time-universes.

i had many troubles with messed up kerbals, duplicated ships

and kerbals etc.. (u could find in this thread).

Edited by Jansn

on my private server i can not revert, its always grayed out.

only terminate in tracking center.

but dont know now how i set up that (7 months ago).

isnt there an option in the servers config file?

will have a look to it tonight (after server update).

but btw: reverting is not that good for long-time-universes.

i had many troubles with messed up kerbals, duplicated ships

and kerbals etc.. (u could find in this thread).

i haven't been able to find any revert setting in the two config files, have searched through them multiple times

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.