DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

So...does anyone know if, running a server, if one person uses mods that another doesn't, will the modded person be visible to the unmodded?

Nope. If DMP finds a missing part in another player's vessel, the vessel will be ignored/not loaded.

Is there any way to download other peoples crafts and have them available in the online mode?

No, share vessels in any way outside KSP.

So...does anyone know if, running a server, if one person uses mods that another doesn't, will the modded person be visible to the unmodded?

The logged in user/person is visible, you can chat, EVAs and stock vessels are visible/controlable but (logically) the modded vessels are not.

Does this hammer anyone else's framerate?

Running DMP Client and server, using about 600mb of addons that I made sure my friend has as well.

No. Sometimes it lags a bit, sometimes there are timejumps of seconds or minutes, funny when you dock, randezvous or EVA, but framerate is not affected by DMP on my machine.

Edited by Jansn

No. Sometimes it lags a bit, sometimes there are timejumps of seconds or minutes, funny when you dock, randezvous or EVA, but framerate is not affected by DMP on my machine.

You're joking.... I went from 1080p d3d11 max settings no AA at 40-60capped fps, to 900p no d3d11 reduced settings no aa at 20-40fps...

Layman's: That's ≈1/5.5 of the performance I normally get.

The server file takes 0% of my CPU, so it's not that.

Edited by TheFireRodan

@spacecactus: Jansn lies, Above the player window hit Craft, you can share crafts via that way but they have to actually be shared by that person before you can download them. They don't need to be online after they have shared though, that's what Universe/Crafts is for :)

As for missing parts/resources, same thing as single player after you remove a mod, they disappear.

DMP definitely hammers the framerate, mostly because the only way I know how to update parts on the vessels is to actually kill/reload the vessel (but that should mostly only affect people you are near). Also, it is very important that DMP's Debug -> Debug GameEvents is turned off, it causes KSP to log a LOT of information, and log writes save to disk straight away which will kill your FPS quite a lot. Some people accidently hit it (or other mods turn it on, it's a KSP thing) and it causes a massive dive.

The other way you'll have FPS problems is via an "exception flood", alt+f12 show debug, errors cause a log write which cause the same problem as above, but also cause KSP to have kittens as Unity *very much incorrectly skips the rest of the monobehaviors for the rest of the frame* which is a horrible way of doing things. DMP takes care to catch its errors to avoid this, but other mods are not so lucky. Stock also doesn't do a great deal of error handling.

Another particularly bad thing is that ConfigNode is a text/key-value format and it takes a bit to parse, so that might also come into play with frame rate issues.

Profiling could help track down performance issues, but I'm near certain it's vessel replacements which is not something I can really do much about without more specialized syncing, which would break in numerous and hilarious ways. And besides, [inactive], and I'm not aware of any forks yet. Let's just hope squad can get around to multiplayer Soon :P

Before I'm gonna go through installing and testing this, i would like to ask something. I read the first post, but i didnt quite understand something. Can you play the career mode as multiplayer? If so, is all the science, money, crew etc. shared with other players or is it that everyone is basically playing their own game?

@Laffe

You can play the career mode in multiplayer.

However each player's career tracking is individual. So the science funds and reputation you earn only benefit yourself. You can however use the same ship/instruments to gather the same science for each player for example. Also you can fly and dock to others player's vessels and eva kerbels between the vessels and coop on base and station building. Currently I'm cooping with a friend to build a large Duna vessel where each of us have specialized in different parts of the tech tree - for example he build our rover and I've been working on our communications module (remoteTech mod)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how do you manage the server? The Wiki on DMP doesn't seem to work properly, so I couldn't find this information easily.

I'm using a Windows server, but Mac clients.

How do I autostart the server on boot? What about a clean shutdown of the servers on automatic reboots on the server? Does it save ONLY when writing a command etc? Or is it always saved?

I just couldn't find any information on this, so I haven't tested out the servers yet, so I don't lose any progress. Atm. I have configured the config-file, and port-forwarded etc, so now I can start the server, but I'm not sure how it handles saving/backups +++ ...

@NorDemoniac:

DMPServer saves instantly, so generally you don't have to worry about shutting it down - If you send it a control+c (or terminate on linux) it will terminate safely but it's not a big deal. As for starting it on boot, I'm unsure - Any program that is used to run console programs in the background should work. I've always used linux though and it actually has the tools for this :P

As for backups, copying Universe somewhere will work fine. DMPClient has been known to eat server universes in the past (it's a client bug somewhere), however I'm unsure if that bug still exists.

@NorDemoniac:

DMPServer saves instantly, so generally you don't have to worry about shutting it down - If you send it a control+c (or terminate on linux) it will terminate safely but it's not a big deal. As for starting it on boot, I'm unsure - Any program that is used to run console programs in the background should work. I've always used linux though and it actually has the tools for this :P

As for backups, copying Universe somewhere will work fine. DMPClient has been known to eat server universes in the past (it's a client bug somewhere), however I'm unsure if that bug still exists.

Excellent! Thank you!

There are multiple service wrappers ++ for Windows which I could probably use. There's also the "startup folder" where I could put a script, I'm running the Win 10 computer as a server only, not a Desktop computer.

I was mostly concerned about the saving, instant saving is great! :cool:

Meaning that if Windows crashes and reboots, I shouldn't lose anything?

@NorDemoniac

The server will save instantly - when possible. As you know there are certain points during a flight where you cannot save / go to spacecenter - if the server is closed during this time, your progress will not be saved. Also I have seen some issues if a player leaves the server without having synched to the remaining player. In my experience this can teleport his vessel back to the launchpad sometimes :-). But all in all it works and is very playable and enjoyable!

Hello I have the newest 2.2.2 Darkmultiplayer. I was wondering if this is a bug. me and my friend are playing on career mode and for some reason our reputation is shared between us. Which leads it to go negative. Is there anyway to fix this?

Career mode & reputation are *not* shared between players, the loss is caused by kerbals being killed due to either time paradoxes & vessel replacements. I explicitly remove the kerbal from the vessel upon replacing, but *shrugs*, KSP is weird yo'.

I'll poke DMP some more after the crushing - we've nearly cut out all the sugar cane for the season :D

Is it possible to run a server and play KSP (on that server) at the same time, on the same computer?

Yeah, that is normal.

You could even open multiple KSP games on the same computer and play on the same server, just make sure they are different installs.

Yeah, that is normal.

You could even open multiple KSP games on the same computer and play on the same server, just make sure they are different installs.

Don't forget the RAM.

KSP is serious business. People buy $3000 rigs to play this game at better-than-decent quality.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.