DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

tetryds lies if you're on linux, these are running off the same install:

I wouldn't recommend installing linux for KSP as it hurts the framerate (although installing linux just to play around with it in general is fine - it personally annoys me less than windows does), but that is one way to solve the ram problem longbyte1 :P

Will DMP be updated for 1.0.5?

If so/not I've developed a simple patch to allow you to save your new 1.0.5 part vehicles to the server, just copy the info below to the DMPModControl.txt under the "partList"

miniFuselage

miniJetEngine

turboJet

SSME

turboFanSize2

adapterEngines

mk3CargoRamp

I've pushed a commit to master (so it's currently available from my build server as the "development" build) - however I'm not really able to do a great deal of testing on it. If people could give it a test and let me know if anything has gotten worse I can poke some issues :)

The development build is essentially v0.2.2.2 with an attempt at angular velocity sync and a fix for unselectable vessels in the tracking station (I accidently wiped a commit it seems), along with the 1.0.5 parts.

Feel free to drop by in #DMP - If everything is ok I'll tag it as "v0.2.2.3" :)

I've pushed a commit to master (so it's currently available from my build server as the "development" build) - however I'm not really able to do a great deal of testing on it. If people could give it a test and let me know if anything has gotten worse I can poke some issues :)

The development build is essentially v0.2.2.2 with an attempt at angular velocity sync and a fix for unselectable vessels in the tracking station (I accidently wiped a commit it seems), along with the 1.0.5 parts.

All right, I'll see if my friends and I can test it sometime.

Sounds good to me.

Firstly, thanks again for EVERYTHING you do with DMP.

I'll test it tonight. FO4 is not at all a distraction to me. :) I'll have some friends test too. I have noticed that using 1.0.5 with the 2.2.2 version of the plugin--sometimes we can't see each other's airplanes when flying around KSC.

Firstly, thanks again for EVERYTHING you do with DMP.

I'll test it tonight. FO4 is not at all a distraction to me. :) I'll have some friends test too. I have noticed that using 1.0.5 with the 2.2.2 version of the plugin--sometimes we can't see each other's airplanes when flying around KSC.

My friends were not on, but I successfully flew around with the new Mk3 cargo ramp all evening building my new SSTO. I encountered no stability problems or anything out of the ordinary. Worked well for me.

Have you guys managed to get anything done about teh sync issues in orbit. For some reason, it seems that many vessels are teleporting randomly and its making rendezvous impossible. DMP would be amazing if say 2-3 people could be loaded in teh same spot and allow limited interaction, but right now, we cant even seem to make a multi-person station, or get into a battle using stock weapons, or fly in formation to another planet, ect, because peopel warp all over the place (and this isnt because they use Hedit, this is some core desync bug that is really agrevating.

I know you guys arent really developing this anymore, but if anyone one, knows how to do it, and two, is willing to put in the effort, could try their best at at a minimum squashing the major game-breaking bug that involves people warping around and no proper synchronization when 2 different players are controlling 2 vessels nearby.

@Lothsahn: DMP never works well :P

I kid - I'll probably end up tagging it as is, 0.2.2.2 does appear to be compatible already, but 0.2.2.3 will add 1.0.5 parts into the mod control on the servers.

@panzer1b: DMP tries *really hard* to keep things together, but this is a combination of a few things - KSP's clock is "free running", as in 1 second of game time does not equal one second of real time. DMP constantly compensates this by physwarping in the 0.3x to 1.5x range, along with slowing down what "1x" warp is when there are laggy players in your subspace. The next is that vessels are fast forwarded onto your timeline, so if you are slighly in the future (lets say 2 seconds), you will see where they will be in 2 seconds time - this is just your normal lag compensation, although you can get into situations where you will see what they would see before it has happened if you are significantly in the future. This is most obvious when another player does a burn, they will appear to spin around the planet backwards if they burn prograde. This is not a bug, it's a feature!

(Protip: If you have voice, get someone to warp an hour in the future - have the player in the past do a slow burn, get the player in the future to say *STOP* when the vessels are at their closest, and then get the past player to press sync)

DMP uses an NTP style sync right at the start of the connection process to get an accurate clock to lock subspaces / the current universe time to. If that flakes out (I can't really think of how except maybe changing the system time when KSP is running), that could cause extra jumpyness.

EDIT: No! Warp rendezvous is a horrible idea!

Edited by godarklight

I have problem with builds from your build server.Well every server package(development/unstable/release) i tried from your build server(http://godarklight.info.tm/dmp/) when i run DMPServer.exe it fails to start,its just visible in task manager and cant be terminated.Once i noticed windows popup with error 'application was unable to start correctly '0xc00007'b''.Funny thing every server dev build from http://d-mp.org/ works just fine.Any ideas?

I have problem with builds from your build server.Well every server package(development/unstable/release) i tried from your build server(http://godarklight.info.tm/dmp/) when i run DMPServer.exe it fails to start,its just visible in task manager and cant be terminated.Once i noticed windows popup with error 'application was unable to start correctly '0xc00007'b''.Funny thing every server dev build from http://d-mp.org/ works just fine.Any ideas?

Are you sure you have all the VC++ runtime libraries, all the way up to 2015?

Yanke$: Err, you should only need the .NET 4 framework for the server, and nothing for the client (KSP has mono built in). I think .NET 4 pretty much comes pre installed these days, can't remember what version of windows ships it though.

Also, it is *impossible* for the builds on d-mp.org and my build server to be different, as my build server notifies d-mp.org and d-mp.org downloads it directly *from me*.

I did notice though that the latest dev build didn't get pulled by d-mp.org, I'll poke vitas (the website owner) about it :)

[quote name='godarklight']Yanke$: Err, you should only need the .NET 4 framework for the server, and nothing for the client (KSP has mono built in). I think .NET 4 pretty much comes pre installed these days, can't remember what version of windows ships it though.

Also, it is *impossible* for the builds on d-mp.org and my build server to be different, as my build server notifies d-mp.org and d-mp.org downloads it directly *from me*.

I did notice though that the latest dev build didn't get pulled by d-mp.org, I'll poke vitas (the website owner) about it :)[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I forgot. Why did I recommend VC++... I need to stop tinkering with C++/CLI... :rolleyes:

[quote name='patc4']i have a question about dmp, is there any way to increase the update time between ppl to at least one twentieth of a second instead of one fifth of a second?[/QUOTE]

I think that's a hardcoded value. Not sure how smoother it would get, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello godarklight,

I wanted to say I really appreciate your efforts and all the work you put into this, but sadly, after testing this for quite a while now, I have to say, this is totally unplayable. As soon as more than one player tries to control anything, the whole physics go to hell. You can't survive a reentry while another player flies something, because in that case your rocket will hit kerbin with 500+ m/s no matter what you do. Only if everybody stops doing anything while you fly, you can do a normal reentry and get to fire your parachutes at approx. 2000 meters height.

Same problems if you try to dock anything or try to land on the Mun for example. If another player clicks on anything or starts another vehicle while you try to control your stuff, you have no chance to survive. The lander / rocket begins to spin like crazy, as if SAS had lost it's effect. I believe this is caused by lag created by too many server messages. Seems like the server can't handle more than the updates of a single player at a time.

Really sad, I hoped this would be a solution, as Squad seems to have given up their multiplayer plans, but I guess it's time to put KSP to the shelf :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.