DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

@cpy: 0.1.3 added the status port which requires HttpListener. It works without admin rights on linux, But for some reason or another, requires them on windows. I'll add the option in 0.1.3.1 to turn the HttpListener completely off, which would drop that requirement.

SUBSPACE_SIMPLE and MCW_LOWEST were never implemented, but the general idea was this:

SUBSPACE_SIMPLE: Works like subspace, except you sync with '>' instead of the button.

MCW_LOWEST: All players go into warp at the lowest players warp rate.

They were both pretty terrible ideas - I'll remove them sooner or later unless there's someone out there that's curious about it :).

You definitely shouldn't give DMPUpdater admin rights - As long as it can write to GameData/DarkMultiPlayer and can access http://chrisand.no-ip.info/dmp/updater/, everything should be fine. Can you screenshot it running under cmd.exe without admin rights - I'd like to see what exception is thrown :).

EDIT: Sorry, the option is already there. To disable the status port, change the httpport to 0 in DMPServerSettings.txt.

Edited by godarklight

It says access is denied. When i run updater without admin rights. It does not says what access, i'll sniff windows logs what gives.

Stupid windows does not says anything.

Edited by cpx

DMPUpdater only touches the files listed in the index here: http://chrisand.no-ip.info/dmp/updater/versions/release/client.txt - So it has to be one of those files.

I know it doesn't really mean much to most people, but DMPUpdater is open source if you're interested in actually going through it to make sure it doesn't do anything dodgy :).

The updating magic happens here: https://github.com/godarklight/DMPUpdater/blob/master/DMPUpdater/DMPUpdater.cs#L249-L273, but the rest of the program should be pretty easy to follow as well - Even to those that aren't really familiar with C# but familiar enough with things like PHP or bash (which is where most of my "programming" experience came from).

Although there's no problem running it under admin, it *really* shouldn't need admin rights. It's a fairly simple and handy for 8 kilobytes, but the packages are there on my website too if you'd rather do things that way.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone has already knocked up a bash or python script that works like DMPUpdater either, even if it's just for the lulz.

Just getting started on these forums. Love this mod, me and my buddy have been playing with it non stop. Looks like it is a known issue, but made a quick video of the loss of velocity bug. Maybe it can be of some help. Amazing work thus far!! Ver. 1.3.0

@cosmo88: You've definitely confirmed my suspicion about that bug, even though I still haven't dug into it.

You game is lagging very badly - You can see TimeSyncer setting your clock when it gets to 5 seconds of error. It puts everything on rails, however it appears things are messing up when this happens.

@Everyone: I haven't got them all the bugs I wanted just yet, but 0.1.3.1 is available on my build server and DMPUpdater.

@Arrowstar: Not yet, although it's still pretty far up on my list :)

@Everyone, I've uploaded a video that shows player-player rendezvous and docking:

I was going to turn it into a tutorial, but then I realised I'm terrible at that.

Basically, let one player do the rendezvous and make the other player stay put.

After you have done the rendezvous, get the other player to sync.

Player-player docking is still very hit and miss though, there's still a few issues that need to be tackled:

1. Two players should never both update a craft, that caused the orange tank to be shifted on the stage. This is going to have to be a 0.1.4.0 feature (Going by closest player isn't good enough - There needs to be a lock system).

2. The dockee should never gain control of a craft. This is most likely causing duplicates and explosions.

Another thing I'd like to fix, in atmo-spawning. I've played with this before, and I believe it's possible, but so far there's only one possible solution I've found.

1. Spawning it in orbit (let's say around the sun)

2. changing it's velocity to match what it should be

3. Going off rails

4. Shift it into the atmosphere.

It's dirty as anything, but if it works, then shooting down plane with an SRB missile could become a thing.

I haven't yet decided whether to do another bugfix release (DMP really needs a 0.1.3.2), or whether to push straight for 0.1.4 and include bugfixes as I go along. 0.1.4 makes slightly more sense, I can't fix flags without a protocol break, and it would be nice to get asteroids working too.

I have a question about mods in DMP. Since Multiplayer Parts Manager does not seem to exist any longer, and the dev of that mod has lost interest in KSP, is it possible to move mod part folders into the default Squad folder, rebuild the part list, and then move them back? Or would that be like tempting the devil?

Edit: Okay, it seems DMP does not generate a new part list, it only contains the default parts, so I guess my idea is dead in the water.

Edited by HotSandwich
Tested idea and failed. Miserably.

@HotSandwich: I intend to implement KMP's /modgen command in DMP, or perhaps have an option on the connection window that says "Generate DMPModControl.txt".

You could always run /modgen from KMP and then copy KMPModControl.txt to DMPModControl.txt in the server folder (They are the same format for a reason).

If it's a private server, it's safe enough to just turn off modcontrol in DMPServerSettings.txt.

@Spider0804: It hasn't stopped players on MrFreake's release server from starting one :)

EDIT: For everyone getting the kerbal on a cross bug, it's actually a stock bug - And it's fixed by running the KSP patcher to update your version of KSP.

I'm so glad that wasn't a KMP or DMP bug (I experienced it in both).

Edited by godarklight

Kerbal on a cross? Like a Jesus Kerman? And why is it that I can only see my friend's ship when we're almost in orbit (about 45km +- 10km) and when we're out in space, but never earlier... I wanted to do a twin rocket launch but i couldnt see his craft until we were in high atmo, and I only saw him on the map screen...

I'm having this bug where it says that Taverio's Aerospace's Conformal RCS tanks are banned on the server even though I have them whitelisted under all the rest of the parts that should be allowed.

Kerbal on a cross (affected me but not gimp, Same bug in DMP):

As soon as they appear on the map, the vessel is in game and can be spectated or viewed, but that won't happen until they are out of atmo (at the moment).

The banned part name should appear on the screen - I'll double check that's not something dodgy going on with DMP with that specific mod tomorrow :)

Edited by godarklight

On the question about the moon base I used to try to in KMP but if anyone else viewed it while I was working on it, it would promptly explode.

Are you saying this has not happened to those folks yet?

Edited by Spider0804

This plugin has managed to corrupt all of my saves. You clearly did something wrong. Also good to note that was A TON OF IMPORTANT SAVES that I can't access now. Just great.

You can't blame anyone but yourself for not backing up your saves while installing experimental mods, man. If you are using Win 7, right click your save files and see if there are older versions available.

Thanks for the reply! As I'll be playing locally I just turned off mod control. My problem now is that I cannot see the "other player's" craft (playing/testing by myself atm). I have a craft in orbit on both my desktop and my laptop but I cannot any other craft but the ones launched from each computer.

@Spider0804: You'll have to test it, but you shouldn't be getting explosions :).

@Uberlyuber: Well, That was a subtle bug... If this sounds right to you, I've just got it in dev: You loaded a single player save, then tried and failed to connect to a server.

There's only 2 places where DMP tries to save the persistent.sfs, one of them is when it connects, the other is when it stops. It looks like stopping the game before starting it wipes the save (which is something I didn't account for) :(

@MAKC: Backups or not, this is still a serious bug - DMP should never affect single player games whatsoever, nor should it go crashing KSP.

@HotSandwich (EDIT): Not sure if I got you on IRC, but someone notified me that turning off mod control stopped DMP from basically working - It's fixed in dev.

@Everyone

Dev has already had a protocol break and the LockSystem (which will fix a few bugs kicking around) is not completely stable yet, so keep using 0.1.3.1 but back up your saves.

For those interested in testing dev anyway - Hop on IRC, The more people using dev the easier it will be to catch bugs for the next release :)

0.1.4.0 is targetted for the friday the 14th, but if I manage to get it ready beforehand, I'll release earlier.

EDIT 2: Now in dev - The asteroids have been tamed! This is GDL ASS (Asteroid Space Station) on MrFreake's dev server:

DIsfC3H.jpg

Edited by godarklight

@Uberlyuber: Well, That was a subtle bug... If this sounds right to you, I've just got it in dev: You loaded a single player save, then tried and failed to connect to a server.

There's only 2 places where DMP tries to save the persistent.sfs, one of them is when it connects, the other is when it stops. It looks like stopping the game before starting it wipes the save (which is something I didn't account for) :(

I hadn't even tried then. Thankfully, my saves did appear to backed up(DMP backs up your saves?) and as such, nothing was damaged.

Thank god :D :D :D

To prevent any further hickups, I've uninstalled the mod. When Friday the 13th comes around and the update (hopefully) comes out, I'll back up my saves, try again, and hopefully it won't screw me over again.

0.1.4.0 is targeted for Friday the 13th...

Friday the 13th? We're all doomed

Edited by Uberlyuber

@Uberlyuber: DMP definitely does *not* back up the save files. There definitely was a bug that could have overwritten a save file ('default' if you haven't actually gone into singleplayer first), but it would have required going into single player first, and then failing to connect to a server. I'd be checking some of the other mods right about now :-/.

Apparently I can't read a calender properly. Release 0.1.4 will now unconditionally be happening on friday the 13th.

hey any chance we could do a PVP with Darkmultiplayer? i tried to fire rockets at my friend (mod) and a regular drop bombs (stock small solid rocket booster) this server was a lan server so i could test and see if it would show me trying to blow up a live rocket.

@Uberlyuber: DMP definitely does *not* back up the save files. There definitely was a bug that could have overwritten a save file ('default' if you haven't actually gone into singleplayer first), but it would have required going into single player first, and then failing to connect to a server. I'd be checking some of the other mods right about now :-/.

Apparently I can't read a calender properly. Release 0.1.4 will now unconditionally be happening on friday the 13th.

Huh. Well, there was a folder named "saves_backup" that I don't remember putting there. Well, either way, halle hugging lujah whatever did that put that there.

Edited by Uberlyuber
typo lol