DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

4 hours ago, Mallett said:

Hello godarklight,

I wanted to say I really appreciate your efforts and all the work you put into this, but sadly, after testing this for quite a while now, I have to say, this is totally unplayable. As soon as more than one player tries to control anything, the whole physics go to hell. You can't survive a reentry while another player flies something, because in that case your rocket will hit kerbin with 500+ m/s no matter what you do. Only if everybody stops doing anything while you fly, you can do a normal reentry and get to fire your parachutes at approx. 2000 meters height.

Same problems if you try to dock anything or try to land on the Mun for example. If another player clicks on anything or starts another vehicle while you try to control your stuff, you have no chance to survive. The lander / rocket begins to spin like crazy, as if SAS had lost it's effect. I believe this is caused by lag created by too many server messages. Seems like the server can't handle more than the updates of a single player at a time.

Really sad, I hoped this would be a solution, as Squad seems to have given up their multiplayer plans, but I guess it's time to put KSP to the shelf :(

actuly squad has not abandoned the multiplayer concept of the game at all its just been on the back-burner for now.. we might see it when 1.1 comes around

Hey @godarklight,

I am very thank you for your work. I had lots of fun with my friends.

I use 0.2.2.2 with ksp1.0.4, and I play career mode. There is only one thing weird: My reputation keep dropping for no reason after serval launch (no crash to buildings, no kerbal dead, no failure contract). And it just keep dropping randomly. Eventually I got about -800 plus reputaion and I have to go back to the console and modify the log file to keep contract appearing.

It just keep dropping as long as I recover something. And I notice that the most possible reason is the kerbals missing, some time I have to disconnect and reconnect to get my friends' kerbals out of the missing list back to available.

@Mallett: Yeah, DMP has always been fairly buggy, but I know it has been getting worse with these last few versions :-/, I still haven't really been playing KSP so I've not worked on DMP pretty much since adding the 1.0.5 parts in dev (which I still haven't tagged with a release yet...), and I've still been working.

I've been looking forward to stock multiplayer too for a while, so I can port over the server list stuff I have - programs that have been remarkably stable and that Just Work (TM). It would also be nice as stock multiplayer would probably actually work :D

I've not really heard of any forks, I know lucksrun0ut on IRC was playing with a new multiplayer mod, but I think that was only a little personal challange, I don't know if they intend to release it. They use UDP, unlike DMP :P

@stlfatboy: That bug has existed as long as career mode has, it's part of how DMP works unfortunately. Vessel updates (as in the parts) are done by killing the vessel and replacing it, DMP does remove the kerbal from the vessel before this happens but it seems this is still causing reputation loss... Unless it's a paradox thing that I haven't looked at :-/

I haven't had a great deal of interest in KSP or DMP lately, but I'd happily point to a fork or another multiplayer mod if there was one out there. For now people are kinda stuck with DMP's development build.

Hello there,

I played around with the DMP Server and Client with a friend for a while but after upgrading my pc from Win7 to Win10 the connection gets closed after some time and this is really annoying. My friend had Win10 all the time and before the upgrade we never experienced any connection-losts and disconnects. We use hamachi for playing together over the internet and it doesn't matter if I host the server and he connects via hamachi or the other way around. First we thought it has something to do with the screenshot-upload but the error happens also when nobody makes a screenshot...

Has anyone of you had the same problem? I was already looking through the code but nothing I tried (increase timeout, never return in the disconnect-handlers, pimped heartbeat function that always beats...) had a long time positive effect.

I would really like to figure it out and fix this damn loosing-connection-bug but I'm working in the Java-verse and C# with SharpDevelop is a little different then the IDE I normally use and I'm missing a lot of the features I know so the progress I make is very little (got the sever and client to compile but debugging would be a dream..)

I will look through the code and try a little more this weekend but if there are any tips where to start, how stuff actually works etc. would be really helpful! I can also upload the log-files but I think they won't be very helpful because I added some more LOG-Messages to find the cause of the error etc.

Thank you in advance and nice weekend to everyone

PS:

Please ignore my bad grammar and spelling but my mother-language is not english...

• 3 weeks later...

@BgDestroy: If you mean how to get a server listed on the public server list, http://godarklight.info.tm/dmp/downloads/plugins/DMPServerListReporter2/DMPServerListReporter.dll or go to d-mp.org's download page and get the reporter there. Chuck it in the plugins directory in DMP server.

If you mean how to get a servers JSON info (which is how the old reporter worked via polling), you have to enable httpPort in the settings.

If you mean how to get the server list information in order to run a server list, VITAS does have something on d-mp.org but I don't know of anyone using it - the more direct way is to download the reporting network DB backend program (which works via pushing, so it's instant and a lot less chatty): https://github.com/godarklight/DMPDistributedDBBackend-stateless

Also, you kinda visited IRC at like 2 in the morning, generally people will answer if you stick around - but I was asleep ;)

I am currently trying this mod out and loving it but my personal server is having so many problems and I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions.  I am running a server on ksp 1.0.5 and have it set to vot based warping as subspace was even more buggy.  however, sometimes players cannot see each other, sometimes one can see the other but not vice versa and most vexing of all is when we do manage to fly together by launching at the same time, after about 1 - 5 km from ksc, we each disappear from each other's screens and will not reaappear until we land and only then right next to each other.  any ideas?  I really want to love this mod but has too many problems to use properly for me :(

Edited by Elektrobomb
typo spotted

• 2 weeks later...

Simple question to those with much more experience than I, how well will this mod work for me if I plan to:
>1. Play with at most two other people, in the same physical location, all using above-toaster computers, and using as direct a network connection method as is supported/possible.
>2. Never leave the same planet (well, atmosphere, really) as the people I'm playing with.
>3. Use BD Armory and the Naval pack.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2016 at 3:16 PM, Elektrobomb said:

I am currently trying this mod out and loving it but my personal server is having so many problems and I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions.  I am running a server on ksp 1.0.5 and have it set to vot based warping as subspace was even more buggy.  however, sometimes players cannot see each other, sometimes one can see the other but not vice versa and most vexing of all is when we do manage to fly together by launching at the same time, after about 1 - 5 km from ksc, we each disappear from each other's screens and will not reaappear until we land and only then right next to each other.  any ideas?  I really want to love this mod but has too many problems to use properly for me :(

same problems, default config file

On 5.2.2016 at 8:52 PM, sashan said:

How to generate save file from universe? I want to play in our save while the other person with server in offline. He gave me the universe folder.

The file you are looking for is the persistent.sfs file ../saves/DarkMultiPlayer folder. 

@sashan: In DMP's main menu (or in the game), you can hit options -> "Generate universe from save", and it will make a Universe/ folder in your KSP directory.

Hello everyone! - I'm going to try to get back into KSP, DMP is in a *really* bad state from when I tried it last, it's pretty much broken in every way :P

If KSP doesn't bug out too much I'll try to gather up steam for a rewrite (kinda, I can borrow the good bits) of DMPClient, the code is an absolute mess and I don't want to leave it in the state it's in. When I do hit stock bugs though it's really *really* big demotivator though, which is why I didn't play when 1.0 came out. I hit this bug on the very first flight of 1.0 and it still exists in 1.0.5 - except they've made it so the engines damage parts far more easily so the bug is kinda hidden:

broken.png

This setup *will not decouple* - the struts hold it together.

I can't promise a rewrite, but if KSP behaves for long enough perhaps everyone will get one :P, that is assuming squad hasn't talked about multiplayer recently...

4 hours ago, godarklight said:

Hello everyone! - I'm going to try to get back into KSP, DMP is in a *really* bad state from when I tried it last, it's pretty much broken in every way :P

What is the last known good version that DMP works with?

On 11.2.2016 at 2:58 PM, godarklight said:

@sashan: In DMP's main menu (or in the game), you can hit options -> "Generate universe from save", and it will make a Universe/ folder in your KSP directory.

Hello everyone! - I'm going to try to get back into KSP

Thanks GDL, thats really good news ;-)

But for Sashan, he said he already have the universe folder and he want to continue ofline as a local savegame.

(Rarely i used that too, to test vessels and maneuvers, then created a universe from local game and moved a special vesselfile

into servers univers folder.)

Edited by Jansn67

DMP 0.2.2.3 is now available!

After playing it a bit it's quite obvious that we really needed a tagged release - It's about how it always has been, but it needed the recompile against 1.0.5 :P

It's the first time I've played with the stock ISRU, also had extraplanetary launch pads on this one. It kinda brings a bit of life to KSP :D. Getting 100 tonnes to moho is still kinda annoying though...

yay2.png

(I'll upload to kerbalstuff when it's up, it seems to have crashed :()

EDIT: Ok, kerbalstuff has shut down. RIP in peace KS. Us modders will try to come up with another host soon ;)

Edited by godarklight

4 hours ago, godarklight said:

MarkusA380: I did the exact opposite of silence, I helped people pull things together and now DMP is available on SpaceDock!

Hey, Ive been really wanting to download this to use with a friend, but I was wondering if there was a way (hacky or not) to get shared science. Thanks for any help!

Edited by bananashavings

Would be cool to have a Real Solar System + Basic RSS-Compatiblity Mods server.

What I'm proposing would be something like:

Real Solar System
Kopernicus
ModuleManager
SMURFF
Space-Y
Space-Y Expanded
Procedural Parts
USI Life Support
Human Colored Heads texture-pack
Ferram Aerospace Research

Seeing how things went bad for KerbalStuff recently, I just wanted to express my thanks to @godarklight for putting together this DMP mod and generally sticking with it. I've spent many hours, and many ridiculous attempts to party on the mun with friends through DMP, and although sometimes (always, eventually) my ships rapidly disassemble, or reputation mysteriously disappears, or some other glitch makes the game ambiguously explode, that one time me and a few buds were chilling on the moon, racing our rovers around, makes it all pretty ok.

Really looking forward to more kerbal multiplayer into 1.1 and beyond. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...