DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

Hello,
To start with a big thank you to GODARKLIGHT for following this mod.
I have a server with a host which has been running very well for several months.
I just have a little problem, it does not appear in the list of servers and I do not know why.
It is not very serious but ....

Thank you.

PS: sorry for my English

Edited by Bob le Renard

23 hours ago, Bob le Renard said:

Hello,
To start with a big thank you to GODARKLIGHT for following this mod.
I have a server with a host which has been running very well for several months.
I just have a little problem, it does not appear in the list of servers and I do not know why.
It is not very serious but ....

Thank you.

PS: sorry for my English

Reporting Plugin installed?

PS: wow, so less servers in list meanwhile.
time to throw up mine again...

Edited by Jansn67

• 1 month later...

Hello. 

@godarklight I'm very impressed with DMP improvements over years. Last time I checked (2 years ago) it was not so good as apr 2020 version.

I mostly interested in spectator mode: when one player controls vessel and others spectate his actions using DMP.

This works, but every minute or so observers see "This vessel is controlled by another player" message and (very annoying) their camera resets (angle of view and camera mode). Is it possible to disable camera reset?

Upd: camera resets in map view too: every few minutes focus is forced on craft that is piloted by main player 

Edited by 1greywind

7 minutes ago, 1greywind said:

I mostly interested in spectator mode: when one player controls vessel and others spectate his actions using DMP.

This works, but every minute or so observers see "This vessel is controlled by another player" message

Sounds interesting. (Specially for server admins :p )
Like the TV-mode in Valves Counter-Strike.

Maybe could be done by disabling every control features at the "remote"/spectated vessel.

16 minutes ago, Jansn67 said:

Sounds interesting. (Specially for server admins :p )
Like the TV-mode in Valves Counter-Strike.

Maybe could be done by disabling every control features at the "remote"/spectated vessel.

I looked into source code and looks like it is caused by this function: https://github.com/godarklight/DarkMultiPlayer/blob/c85540b02d4e8f037254ee9161edfa9b371646a1/Client/VesselWorker.cs#L832

Looks like (isSpectating != wasSpectating) is always true and   InputLockManager.SetControlLock is triggered. Every time lock is set, camera resets as well :(

Edited by 1greywind

I'm going to be honest, I ignore github - the reset comes from reloading the active vessel to keep it "in sync", this happens with all vessels updated by other players. I haven't really touched DMP in a while but if it's possible to dig into whatever sets the camera rotations that might be helpful, as I already have to set the targets back: https://github.com/godarklight/DarkMultiPlayer/blob/c85540b02d4e8f037254ee9161edfa9b371646a1/Client/VesselWorker.cs#L1751-L1755

EDIT: The function you highlighted is just an "edge trigger" for if we are spectating or not, it disables the controls otherwise you'd be able to move the throttle but it won't have any effect and confuse people.

Edited by godarklight

1 hour ago, godarklight said:

EDIT: The function you highlighted is just an "edge trigger" for if we are spectating or not, it disables the controls otherwise you'd be able to move the throttle but it won't have any effect and confuse people.

Thank you for advise. I've already installed VS and played with code so yeah, I see that camera reset had nothing to do with ControlLock. Will try to experiment with SetVesselTarget.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with KSP API, so it will take time... 

Everything is working fine when players control different vessels. But moments after docking it starts to reset camera. It also triggers all windows reset - kOS terminal, all pinned parts window, etc. Very annoying :(

1 hour ago, godarklight said:

whatever sets the camera rotations

Can you give me an advise where I should look? Is there an API reference or something like this? I know there are list of API methods in KSP wiki but it isn't helpful.

• 5 weeks later...

For clients

I've pushed another release, this one is tiny, it only fixes some issues with the in-game server list - fallback was not working correctly and now it's fixed.

I've also added a 3rd server to the reporting network if both the spacedock and my build servers reporting endpoints go down, giving even more reliability.

For public servers

There is also a new endpoint for reports that can be added to your ReportingSettings.xml file under the other two reporting lines:

<reporting>ksp-dmp.sundevil.pl:12401</reporting>

The reporting servers are all linked and it does not matter which one of them you connect to, all the data is shared between them, so adding this line isn't required.

I've also updated the reporting plugin to add this new endpoint for those creating new public servers, but you do not need to update the plugin as the endpoints are only added when the reporting plugin first runs - It will not add the above line to existing servers.

• 2 weeks later...

The free DNS provider I was using https://freedns.afraid.org/ seems to have lost control of their info.tm domain, so anything that relies on godarklight.info.tm is broken currently, this mainly affects DMPUpdater

For those technically wondering what is wrong, these are the correct DNS results:

info.tm name server ns1.afraid.org.
info.tm name server ns4.afraid.org.
info.tm name server ns2.afraid.org.
info.tm name server ns3.afraid.org.

godarklight.info.tm has address 167.179.168.209
godarklight.info.tm has IPv6 address 2403:5800:9100:5b00::1

These are the incorrect DNS results:

info.tm name server ns1.parkingcrew.net.
info.tm name server ns2.parkingcrew.net.

godarklight.info.tm has address 185.53.178.10

I don't know what to do at the moment, I may just "sit and wait" on this for a week to see if they recover the domain, however if it is lost I will likely switch to no-ip, which I am not keen on as they are very "naggy".

I've decided to switch to godarklight.privatedns.org and push a new version (v0.3.5.5) version for the fix to the in-game server list. Also, a new DMPUpdater is available (on d-mp.org) with the DNS change

For existing public servers, the reporter settings will not automatically update, the correct set of 3 reporting endpoints is (change godarklight.info.tm -> godarklight.privatedns.org):

<reporting>server.game.api.d-mp.org:9001</reporting>
  <reporting>godarklight.privatedns.org:9001</reporting>
  <reporting>ksp-dmp.sundevil.pl:12401</reporting>
Edited by godarklight

• 2 weeks later...

DarkMultiPlayer v0.3.6.0 is now available for KSP 1.10. I've removed the shared science setting as it was very broken, for shared science I recommend people switch to LunaMultiPlayer (as they have *only* shared science). I've left it compatible with the 1.9 servers, there is new parts but I feel KSP is at a point where I can happily keep 1.8, 1.9 and 1.10 clients playing together.

Amazing that you keep DMP (and Website) up and running.
Is there a fast (and for having- actually-no-time-to-read/care-about)
How-to to integrate (for me yet unknown) LMP to DMP?
Or will LMP make DMP obsolete?

Thanks and Respect.

I am trying to get DMP to work on LAN

I am inserting my local ip (ipv4) in the host computer and the one joining.

However, when trying to join the host machine, I get : the connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond after a period of time or established connection failed because the connected host failed to respond.

The server log on the host computer shows nothing about the other trying to join.

I have port forwarded the host computer, but is that needed for LAN?

On 7/12/2020 at 6:28 AM, KonKerbal said:

No.

Use Static IPs in LAN and proof connections vice versa with a Ping.
Do you use a  Firewall?

Edited by Jansn67

On 7/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, KonKerbal said:

I am trying to get DMP to work on LAN

I am inserting my local ip (ipv4) in the host computer and the one joining.

However, when trying to join the host machine, I get : the connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond after a period of time or established connection failed because the connected host failed to respond.

The server log on the host computer shows nothing about the other trying to join.

From what it sounds is that client cannot even reach the host or tries on wrong port. Assuming the ports used are default and correct, then you can first try pinging from client the server machine. If that does not work, then it does not exactly mean it cannot reach, it can mean that server machine is dropping ping packages in firewall, then you have to check the firewall. 
It might not be popular opinion, but for test you can try to turn off firewall on host side and try to ping and connect then, if it works, then it is firewall issue and you need to get the port opened in it. It might be unpopular opinion as usually it is not good idea to remove firewall as it might leave computer to vulnerable to attacks. That depends on outer network and if router/modem has some FW configured or in some cases ISP filter a lot of incoming traffic that is not answer to a request from customer systems side. 

Port forwarding should not be needed for LAN. However if you do port forwarding in router, then you should be able to connect in client using the router IP instead of host. The above talk about firewall on host machine still applies as if the router sends the traffic to host machine and it is being blocked, well then the traffic does not reach the server and you will have no trace in logs about it. 

TLDR; Server doesn't get the traffic as it gets lost in transit, seems from description to be firewall issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Since weeks.. i am sad about...
that reported DMP-Servers reduced down.
And the existing ones are alwas empty.

Is that cause (old) DMP-Players went away from KSP
and/or new gamers are not interested in DMP anymore?

Edited by Jansn67

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 6:59 PM, Dirt_Merchant said:

Can anyone confirm that DMP still lives?

Development? Seems sleeping... (Hope not dead.)

Servers are still alive. (Mine is.) But counts go down fast.
(Maybe a reason why motivation of players and modder
was/is shrinking.)

Next i finally want to setup a DMP with LMP.
Need find time for that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...