DarkMultiPlayer 0.3.8.0 [KSP 1.12.0]

godarklight

I've skimmed through the bugs post and I may have found the thing I'm looking for, but I'm not sure.

Basically, my friend and I can't see each others' crafts.

Just want to know if there is an ETA on this fix, and when it is.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out that it was because we were trying to see each other when we were inside the safety bubble.

Edited by Xavienth

Hello!

For a few days I've been trying to set up a server on my home computer so that I can play with a friend KSP latest version with DMP v.0202 via Hamachi or via Tunngle or just like that.

So far it hasnt worked out and I would like to ask for your help!

(Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit)

We set hamachi or tunngle to the first priority rank in our network connection (always just had 1 installed without the other), we portforwarded UDP 6702, Tunngle Port: UDP and TCP 11155

I opened a server with my Hamachi IP while being connected with the friend on a private network with the port 6702.

The friend can never access the server, although i am able to play on it.

Can anyone please help us to find a solution because so far I looked through a lot of sites including the original dmp site and couldnt find out how to do it.

Thanks in advance, Mino

We also allowed KSP, Hamachi, Tunngle in our Windows Firewall privately and publicly.

Edited by Minorex

Hello!

For a few days I've been trying to set up a server on my home computer so that I can play with a friend KSP latest version with DMP v.0202 via Hamachi or via Tunngle or just like that.

So far it hasnt worked out and I would like to ask for your help!

(Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit)

We set hamachi or tunngle to the first priority rank in our network connection (always just had 1 installed without the other), we portforwarded UDP 6702, Tunngle Port: UDP and TCP 11155

I opened a server with my Hamachi IP while being connected with the friend on a private network with the port 6702.

The friend can never access the server, although i am able to play on it.

Can anyone please help us to find a solution because so far I looked through a lot of sites including the original dmp site and couldnt find out how to do it.

Thanks in advance, Mino

We also allowed KSP, Hamachi, Tunngle in our Windows Firewall privately and publicly.

In the server config file there's something called "broadcast address". What is it set to? Make sure to set it to 0.0.0.0 so that it will broadcast on all network interfaces. I've never used Tunngle but since you specified a port different from that of DMP, your friend needs to connect to port 11155 instead of 6702 if using Tunngle.

@Effect: Most of the forced closed connections are firewall problems. It always is...

@uxuser: On the upside, this makes a good case for detecting : in a paste and splitting it off into the port box :). UI userproofing is a good thing :D

@Minorex: If you can set up port forwarding, you need to forward TCP port 6702. DMP doesn't touch UDP.

If you do end up figuring it out (you'll have to connect to the clients UDP 6702 address), please let me know - to date nobody has told me if the bind address in the DMPServerSettings.txt file needs to be changed, although I seriously doubt that it does.

In the server config file there's something called "broadcast address". What is it set to? Make sure to set it to 0.0.0.0 so that it will broadcast on all network interfaces. I've never used Tunngle but since you specified a port different from that of DMP, your friend needs to connect to port 11155 instead of 6702 if using Tunngle.

in the DMP Server Settings file.txt I can only find

"... to listen on IPv4 and IPv6.

address,::"

where should i put the 0.0.0.0 ? -> address,:0.0.0.0: ?

OK so we both portforwarded now the TCP 6702 and tried to connect via Hamachi beeing in the same Hamachi network but DMP says: "Connection error: Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht ordnungsgemäß reagiert hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht reagiert hat."

I try to translate that to english: "Connection error: Connection failed, because the opposite site did not react after a certain timeframe, or the established connection contained errors, due to the non reaction of the connected host."

Can i send you any further data to help you find the problem?

Tried to enter the adress 0.0.0.0 after the :: but it didnt help us to get connected!

Turn of events: If the friend openes a server i can join! I can ping him, but he cannot ping me!!!

So we both got the same setup, portforwarded 6702 and the hamachi port 2620 (TCP and UDP)

That brings me to the idea that the fault must be within my firewall/router settings, but where?

My router: Pirelli PRGAV4202N

Minorex:

In german: Unter windows ist es nötig den VPn Adapter als primären adapter einzurichten. Geh in Netzwerkumgebung->Adapter Halte ALT gedrückt und gehe im Menü auf Erweitert ->Erweitert. Im neuen Fenster den Hamachi Adapter ganz nach oben schieben.

Ausserdem in den Firewalleinstellungen auf erweiterte Firewall. Firewall Einstellungen und dort den Adapter von der Firewall ausnehmen (Deaktivieren der Firewall reicht bei windows nicht).

Ping Via Hamachi funktioniert nicht immer, da Ping ICMP Benuzt und Hamachi damit so seine probleme hat (Es gab mal in Hamachi einstellungen für broadcasts, ICMp usw.)

Probier mal tungle, kein vpn oder setz dein eigenes vpn auf (hamachi ist in meinen augen mist)

In English:

In Windows VPN Adapters must be the primary NIC. Goto Networking-> Adapters hold ALt and select Extended -> Extended in the menu.

In the new window move your hamachi adapter to the top.

In addition to that click on Extended Firewall settings in your Firewall settings and exclude your hamaci nic from your firewall. (under Windows it isnt suficiant to disable the firewall)

Ping via Hamachi doesnt always work , because ping uses ICMp and hamachi has its problems with it (there where some options in hamachi for icmp, ping and multicast).

Try using tungle, the internet or set up your own vpn (Hamachi is crap in my opinion)

I hope that helps :)

p.s. im to lazy to translate this to german but:

Windows from 7 onwards by default blocks ping so do most routers. (incoming that is)

If you dont use any vpn the ping request goes to your outbound router (not your pc), so ping doesnt help you finding out if the server is realy acc from the inet.

one method would be to let your friend connect via putty or some other telnet/raw protocol capable terminal client to your external ip & port and if he sees some characters theres a service listening on that port.

also pirelli does routers?! arent they a tire manufacturer? :D

Edited by VITAS

It does not work on macs, please make it work on macs. the game tells you its in the wrong place but when i looked at it it was a windows application. please fix this, if you have the time.

It does work on (Big) Macs. You have to use mono (see FAQ, Wiki, Readme , Chat, etc.)

@Minorex: "::" actually means "Listen on all IPv4 and IPv6 addresses". DMPServer supports IPv6, the client supports v6 on linux and mac (The stuff is missing on windows for some unknown reason, when unity gets their act together it will start working).

The fault is port forwarding or an incoming firewall, DMP only needs TCP 6702. If you're on mobile internet they generally have a ISP-level NAT (where your ISP never gives you a public IP), which means you'll never be able to host a server.

I wouldn't recommend disabling the firewall, but there's some issue going on there :-/.

@drakeredcrest: It's not a windows application, it's a .NET one. .NET apps run under mono (MRE) on linux and mac just fine - I exclusively develop on linux.

Anybody know how reverting to vab or launch affects a mp game? What does unsafe revert mean exactly?

Had an issue the other day where I couldn't see friends vessel but that might been due to it having banned parts. Is there an option for auto downloading necessary mods when joining a server?

Thanks

Is there an option for auto downloading necessary mods when joining a server?

I made sure my friends have same mods by using bittorent sync on the gamedata folder. Now I'm free to add/remove/update mods as I see fit and my friends don't need to worry about those.

@varsi

Sounds like an excellent solution - would you recommend a specific program for this? And do you synch everything in game data (including visual mods)? Had an issue when my friend just copied the astronomers visual pack folders

Anybody know how reverting to vab or launch affects a mp game? What does unsafe revert mean exactly?

It means that it's a memory leak and will painfully bleed your server to it's death.

There are better ways to phrase it but I guess this one is accurate, haha.

What I mean is that you should avoid reverting at all unless you are the only one in the server, and make sure you timewarp past the time you rolled back whenever possible, then relog.

It can cause issues as general server instability, friends not loading, sync issues and it can possibly be the cause of asteroid duplication, and duplicated asteroids don't get deleted.

Bear in mind that using BT sync is still redistributing the mods. You do need to be careful of licensing, the same as if you were redistributing them via a website. GPL mods require you to make the source available, all-rights-reserved mods are definitely not good to copy.

And regardless of the licensing, the mod author may be very much less inclined to provide support if you have obtained the mod from an unofficial source.

Unsafe revert just means you've disabled reverting (and the memory leak that comes with it), but the time somehow went backwards. I put this in here to catch corner cases where time goes backwards, but looks like it's much more common than I thought it would be.

The code that fires this off is very simple and is just about english :P

@varsi

Sounds like an excellent solution - would you recommend a specific program for this? And do you synch everything in game data (including visual mods)? Had an issue when my friend just copied the astronomers visual pack folders

BitTorrent Sync is the program. Yes, It's the whole gamedata we have synced. Squad and NASA folders should be identical anyway and if you don't go too crazy with mods they all should work on all machines. I do avoid any mods that drain a lot of memory like EVE and such.

Bear in mind that using BT sync is still redistributing the mods. You do need to be careful of licensing, the same as if you were redistributing them via a website. GPL mods require you to make the source available, all-rights-reserved mods are definitely not good to copy.

And regardless of the licensing, the mod author may be very much less inclined to provide support if you have obtained the mod from an unofficial source.

That is true. Fortunately I haven't noticed a mod yet that has any restrictions on redistribution (there might be some out there tho).

Also it should be obvious not to do this sort of syncing with people you don't really know and trust. Would be quite easy to spread around stuff you don't want on your computer.

I'm having a bit of a problem which I'm not entirely sure how to describe. So here goes, a friend of mine and I have been recording a let's play in KSP using DMP. Everything worked fine when we recorded last week, but for some reason when we got together to record this week, whenever we where both on the server at the same time the game would essentially lock up for my friend. He would click on say the VAB and nothing would happen, then try to disconnect sometimes this would work, other it wouldn't do anything. You could still open the escape menu in KSP but couldn't actually quit. He would eventually have to force quit. We've had this happen before, but usually only once and then restarting the game would fix the problem. Now it's just not working at all.

Things to note, we haven't changed any settings or anything like that between when it was working and when it wasn't. When the problem kept happening we tried switch to the latest dev build of the server and client to see if that fixed it and it didn't. Any thoughts anyone has as to what's causing this and how I can fix it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

@thunderdan87: I'll need KSP.log to have a guess at this one, but I've heard it reported enough for me to be concerned about it. If possible, also try to catch me on IRC :)

Here's the my .log file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47vf9j5jqhr57tr/KSP.log?dl=0

I'll see about getting my friends file tomorrow, his is probably more relevant than mine, as it happened to him every single time and only about 30% of the time to me. I'll also see if I can find you on IRC tomorrow night.

Edited by thunderdan87

I'm having a bit of a problem which I'm not entirely sure how to describe. So here goes, a friend of mine and I have been recording a let's play in KSP using DMP. Everything worked fine when we recorded last week, but for some reason when we got together to record this week, whenever we where both on the server at the same time the game would essentially lock up for my friend. He would click on say the VAB and nothing would happen, then try to disconnect sometimes this would work, other it wouldn't do anything. You could still open the escape menu in KSP but couldn't actually quit. He would eventually have to force quit. We've had this happen before, but usually only once and then restarting the game would fix the problem. Now it's just not working at all.

Things to note, we haven't changed any settings or anything like that between when it was working and when it wasn't. When the problem kept happening we tried switch to the latest dev build of the server and client to see if that fixed it and it didn't. Any thoughts anyone has as to what's causing this and how I can fix it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

My friend experienced the exact same behavior, but this was after installing several visuals mods. He removed them from the gamedata folder, and then it worked again. I believe however that it worked for him the session before.

Can anyone tell me where to follow the change log for the development build and the unstable build? Thanks

@thunderdan87: I'm not entirely sure what's going on there in the log file - It does hint at some weirdness, but I've never seen this caused before. I have a feeling it's not DMP... Can you try to load the DarkMultiPlayer save file in single player and load that vessel again?

EDIT, Pastebin because I can't remember how to spoiler with KSP's forum editing: http://pastebin.com/utVN4DFA

If I had to guess, you had some type of mod installed and have since removed it, but KSP is freaking out about the save file.

@silvanus: I don't write changelogs until I've just about released, the best place is to check the commit logs:

Release - The latest tagged version recommended for use.

Development - The latest tagged version with fixes. This should theoretically be the most stable branch to use, and will remain compatible with release.

Unstable - Where breaking changes go, this is basically the development branch.

A few times in DMP's history I've had to push a release a little early (or just put up with annoying bugs) because there was a breaking change already introduced into my master branch, and I have a rule that versions with the first 3 numbers (DMP 0.2.0.x) should all be compatible with each other. This just frees me up so I can push a bugfix or proper release at any times.

I haven't been putting a lot of time into it lately, the last major thing that went into unstable is the warp rework which fixes "Kicked for creating subspace", and also actually implements the MCW_LOWEST and SUBSPACE_SIMPLE modes.

Edited by godarklight

Hmm that's odd haven't removed any mods or anything like that. Do you think deleting the local save file, then letting it resync from the dmp server fix it? The only other mods we have installed are non part mods. A ambient light mod for youtube recording purposes, and kerbal engineer redux with the parts disabled.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.