Rosetta, Philae and Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

Vicomt

What I caught of the update by Kuhn Gertz in Koln, the harpoons and the landing thrusters didn't fire so it may not actually be down solidly on the surface. They are considering trying the harpoons/landing screws again.

The landing legs only compressed by 4 cm, which is less than expected.

Seems like thruster did not fire (problem with it was indicated earlier on), and sadly: telemetry indicates anchors didn't fire either, though this will require further confirmation.

A guy from the mission control was just doing a recap for BBC, the harpoons did not fire and neither did the thruster. He said it was a very soft landing, as the probe bounced up only 4 cm, but they cannot confirm that they are firmly standing/attached on the surface. He said they are moving some instruments on the probe, which makes it move about a little.

Edit: and apparently I misheard or something, according to the post above... ;) Still very exciting. With any luck, people will be making conspiracy theories about today in 40 years time.

Edited by Torham234

French ESA tweet : further analysis show that harpoons were in fact not fired. Otherwise, Philae is in very good shape.

j-G5gS7x_normal.pngESA France @ESA_fr · 3 min il y a 3 minutes

TT @esaoperations Une analyse + poussée de la télémétrie montre que les harpons n'ont finalement pas été tirés, @Philae2014 en très bon état :

With any luck, people will be making conspiracy theories about today in 40 years time.

40 years? Try today. People were, like posted before, already talking about how the pictures are taking too long and that this must mean Photoshop work is being done. As if that was not done in advance if it would all be an elaborate hoax.

Apparently, no harpoons attached, and no thruster. They're considering whether or not to manually fire the harpoons. A bit of a risky move I guess, but it may not be secured otherwise

It'd be terrible to push your lander off by trying to fix it. All I can say is Hang on, little guy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.