Rosetta, Philae and Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

Vicomt

Red, green and blue filters. Image was taken on August 6th this year at 120 km distance.

So it's gray. I've tried to boost the saturation, but this is a JPEG so not much can be accomplished. It might have a light green hue, although it's probably just gray to our eyes.

I was curious "how gray" Churyomov-Gerasimenko was in the photo so I used the histogram function in Gimp to plot histograms for the RGB channels in the image. I also plotted the histogram of Lajos' coal heap photo for comparison.

For the benefit of anyone who's not familiar with the details of how it works, computer screens generate colours through a combination of red, green and blue. The data for each image pixel is usually encoded as three 8 bit colour channels and a fourth 8 bit alpha (degree of transparency) channel. Shades of gray result when all three colour channels are equal (e.g. R=87, G=87 and B=87). Black results when all three channels equal 0 and white results when all three channels equal 255. If the image was "perfectly gray", all three colour channels would overlap in the histogram. They don't in either image, although the coal heap has less overlap than the comet. In other words, the portion of the comet image that I analysed is "grayer" than the portion of the coal heap image.

Churyumov-Gerasimenko

CJbMbwt.png

Coal heap

6ibCyRT.png

Well not pitch black.

Pretty black nonetheless. Someone from the Rosetta team likened it to darker than a black t-shirt. That's pretty dark, especially in an environment with little light. Even on Earth magicians use black on black cloth to make things disappear.

Pretty black nonetheless. Someone from the Rosetta team likened it to darker than a black t-shirt. That's pretty dark, especially in an environment with little light. Even on Earth magicians use black on black cloth to make things disappear.

It depends on our eyes. It would be easily visible against the black sky as it's narrow as a light source. On the surface, it would be perfectly easy to see the rocks unless you stare at something white in the same time. Eyes are really great sensory organs.

It would be easily visible against the black sky as it's narrow as a light source.

I doubt it, since it appear to be one of the reasons these objects are so hard to find when they are far out.

On the surface, it would be perfectly easy to see the rocks unless you stare at something white in the same time. Eyes are really great sensory organs.

They are great, but know limitations. I am not sure what happens when you have a reasonable size sun and that black surface.

I doubt it, since it appear to be one of the reasons these objects are so hard to find when they are far out.

That literally has nothing to do with how our eyes work. Like, nothing.

They are great, but know limitations. I am not sure what happens when you have a reasonable size sun and that black surface.

Ever been on a fresh asphalt surface? Next time shield your eyes so you can see the asphalt only. It would look something like that. 67P is made of very dark gray rocks, something like fresh, damp coal. Absolutely no problem for looking at.

That literally has nothing to do with how our eyes work. Like, nothing.

Then what do you mean with "It would be easily visible against the black sky as it's narrow as a light source"? It's a bit cryptic.

Ever been on a fresh asphalt surface? Next time shield your eyes so you can see the asphalt only. It would look something like that. 67P is made of very dark gray rocks, something like fresh, damp coal. Absolutely no problem for looking at.

Except that the environment there is pretty much a lot of black and/or darkness and one blazing bright disk that is sun. That's hard to compare to just standing on some road.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll hafta quote myself for this one. From post 159, October 3, 2014.

Ok, how about some amateur, dumb guy analysis/questions....

It would be super cool if Cherry/Gerry split in two while Philae is on alive on the surface.

Article-MainImage.png

There's a crack forming on comet 67p. Is it braking up?

http://www.universetoday.com/118445/theres-a-crack-forming-on-rosettas-67p-is-it-breaking-up/

I was bored at school today, so I've done some calculations regarding the possible decapitation of our Ducky's head.

I figured out, that the attractive gravitational force between the body and the head is about 290MN and the centrifugal force caused by the comet's rotation equal to 200MN, so there's only 90MN force pushing those portions together, which might contribute to the disintegration.

Well, let's see if this factor and some outgases can tier Cherry-Gerry apart. I hope it'll, because it'll reveal the otherwise hidden core (and those alien cities underground :P).

Anyone else get a very Kerbal feel for how the lander made it to the planet? My early landers used to have the "bounce horizontally and tumble" issue until I massively over SAS'd them. Now I use the Surface navball mode to help cancel sideways acceleration.

http://www.seti.org/weeky-lecture/rosetta-lander-philae-mission-landing-comet-67pchuryumov-gerasimenko

There was a hangout of Matt with Tim Peake https://plus.google.com/events/c653ar3q479sloh89hrphe6hdo0

Important info - Matt confirmed what was discussed earlier on - they will propose for Rosetta to actually land on a comet at the end of it's mission, first slowly spiraling towards the nucleus and than making a touchdown. It's not official yet, but that's the proposal.

It'll allow them to obtain numerous very unique data and again: do something noone ever done before.

It reflects only 2% of light, it's darker than coal, not just a black t-shirt ;).

Edited by Sky_walker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.