Majiir Mod Repo Challenge Accepted! O-Doc on Point

O-Doc

Okay, so here is my attempt at a "Style Guide" - Google Doc

It's not very elegant but I hope it fosters ideas while creating the layout.

I have a few ideas for a logo. Hopefully there will be something to show by the end of Sunday.

best of luck with the programming good sir

Thanks I got it. I've been thinking about the design and I think that, if I'm going to do the design then it will be something simple. A good choice would be to just mount the interface onto of a clipboard and scatter some postit notes around the side. That will keep a theme similar to the IVA view so users are going to get an instant familiarity with the website.

I've installed CakePHP and played around with it for the last couple of days. It seems to create more problems than it solves for REST driven application. I'm going to throw some PHP scripts together, that will be far more efficient in term of delivering a high performance back-end to do the data handling.

maybe I could draw up a concept picture for page ?

otherwise I only know a tiny (pointlessly pathetic) bit of python and that's all I can think of...

will edit post when I'm finished the concept pages...

Nice! It doesn't matter what your skill set is. Seriously, I can find things to do for anyone that wants to contribute. You don't have to be a programmer. Anyway, there's some design stuff forming in the docs, grab a copy and give whatever input you feel like making.

Nice! It doesn't matter what your skill set is. Seriously, I can find things to do for anyone that wants to contribute. You don't have to be a programmer. Anyway, there's some design stuff forming in the docs, grab a copy and give whatever input you feel like making.

Okay, I know very basic HTML5 and a tiny tiny bit of CSS3, but I have lots of time (at least in two weeks that is). There anything you can fit me in for or am I the lost cause I think I am?

Hey Captain. Absolutely. There's plenty of markup shuffling around that needs to be done. I've got the basic templating done but, I'm still shuffling around the transport layer. All the markup is going into a single file that gets pushed out to the client. So, we get a blank page to go back to the server for the data. This means that all the interface markup goes out in a single file for the entire website. This file is build.php which I'll include in the documents.

If you are feeling brave, review the templates zip folder. Then have a look at the work on the build.php file. You'll see I'm lifting out all the widgets and dropping them into their own -script- tags. All I've done is combine all the templates into a single file. Now we need to break down the widgets into their component parts. You know, menus, project seach item, forms, etc(put them into their own script tags at the top of the body element). So, just check out the working files for now and tell me what you are comfortable with. The other task you may want to get into is matching our css up with our style-guide. It's all WIP but, the layout.css can definitely use a once over to get the font-families all correct. Verdana for main content and you figure out a good font for the headers. I'll put the current layout.css into the documents folder for you to have a play with. :)

EDIT: documents.zip now updated.

Edited by O-Doc

I'm liking the iconography with the hand and the spanner, that's cool. I do have reservations about copying the KSP logo. Probably not a good idea. :) The blue is working well, maybe try to get that tan alongside the blue, might look good. Good work.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

O-Doc (or anyone for that matter) what would be the optimal size/quality/format for web use? I have CS6 at my disposal so if there is a good setting that you know of in photoshop or fireworks that would be useful info to me.

I like the second best, only because it has some background context. I'm sure the first one would look better once paired with the right background. Nice job Skipants.

Re: Size and format. For web we need and .png at 72dppi. Sart with something oversized like 1200px wide and we'll resize accordingly once the asset goes into the web page.

I'll view this from the perspective of someone who will use this, and features that will help with it.

- Search Function. For obvious reasons.

- Sign in Function. For mod developers.

- Auto Updater. It's helpful.

- It should be Kerbal Themed, using the color green just doesn't work. There should be Kerbals in the background, or something along those lines.

- Community placed tags. Many craft users will just spam tags to get theirs noticed. Community placed tags prevent this.

- Mod lists. For convenience.

- Other projects. Like the K-Drive project, something along those lines would be cool.

- Mod Cemetery. For all the mods lost in the Spaceport removal.

I'll view this from the perspective of someone who will use this, and features that will help with it.

I Sigvan. Thanks for your input. As per thread rules, suggestions are to be backed with actions.

- Auto Updater. It's helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean by auto-updater. Can your write up a description of how this works and what's required. We'll stick it into the docs if you can gether some community consensus for it.

- It should be Kerbal Themed, using the color green just doesn't work. There should be Kerbals in the background, or something along those lines.

Can you get some images that we can use freely for the website? My preferene is .png format. Cheers.

- Community placed tags. Many craft users will just spam tags to get theirs noticed. Community placed tags prevent this.

I'm assigning you a task of drawing up a tag list for us to include as the default tag set for inclusion into the website.

- Other projects. Like the K-Drive project, something along those lines would be cool.

Can you put together a list of related websites that we can link to?

Thanks for the input/contribution to this project. :)

Heads up people. I've included the language file into the docs zip. I need someone to look through the project markup and pull out the words and phrases and insert them into the language stuff I already have there. It's pretty simple to figure out just by eyeballing the existing file. Also, think of words and phrases I have not included in the file or markup. Anyone?

Been quietly watching this and the other thread - largely nodding to myself. I think this community-led idea needs someone to push forwards and lead it, so this thread has made interesting reading for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by auto-updater. Can your write up a description of how this works and what's required. We'll stick it into the docs if you can gether some community consensus for it.

Basically, the one thing that Curse has going for it, is that they provide an end-user installed application that acts as a mod manager. The intention is to extend this to KSP. I think that's what SAS is referring to and it's something that a lot of people desire, despite the relative ease of installing KSP mods (I think it's mostly the version checking and auto installing that people crave when they use lots of mods).

Personally, I think it might be out of scope. There are other community-developed mod management systems that have differing functionality:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/26031-Win-KSP-Mod-Admin-v1-3-11-Mod-install-with-a-few-clicks

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/13155-Win-With-Auto-Updater!-Kerbal-Space-Program-Mod-Manager

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ksp-addon-manager/

It's probably more appropriate for this site to have the necessary API functionality for these 3rd party programs to operate effectively and to detect updates. It might be a more productive action to poll some of the authors of such programs about what functionality they require and, in an ideal world, would there be additional server-side functionality that would improve their program?

Happy to action that if you think it's worthwhile.

Edited by TMS

Hey TMS, thanks for the clarification. Any help on that front would be most welcome. I think the auto-updater will work very well with our module dependencies schema. I'm happy to walk through the database schema with you or, anyone else who wants to put their hand up for the job. :)

Speaking of the database, I've decided to go for Sphinx as the search engine. It seems powerful enough for our needs, server agnostic and out-of-the box PHP support with a simple API. The suggestion in the other thread of using Lucene has been vetoed by me based on lack of setup flexibility. Java has always suffered from technology lock-in. :(

Heads up people. I've included the language file into the docs zip. I need someone to look through the project markup and pull out the words and phrases and insert them into the language stuff I already have there. It's pretty simple to figure out just by eyeballing the existing file. Also, think of words and phrases I have not included in the file or markup. Anyone?

I can work on that tomorrow. I'm not seeing the language file in the doc zip though. Has it already been updated?

My idea was kind of what Curse provides, But that's not feasible. A star with the tooltip: "This mod needs to update" will work.

Can you get some images that we can use freely for the website? My preferene is .png format. Cheers.

I can try, but I'm not a animator and I can't draw. My images are likely going to be taken directly from the (Steam version) of the game.

I'm assigning you a task of drawing up a tag list for us to include as the default tag set for inclusion into the website.

I was thinking of a Steam style system. For example: If I uploaded a: "Interplanetary Spaceplane and transport" it would have the category it fits in, AND the tags the community gave it. Without the uploader having the ability to control which tags get put up.

A sort by tag system would help with this effort as well.

Can you put together a list of related websites that we can link to?

Thanks for the input/contribution to this project.

Short list:

- The forums.

- The Steam Forums (Not needed at all).

- KSP Twitter.

- KSP store and Steam page.

I'll get links for you later, I'm a bit busy as of writing this.

I was thinking of a Steam style system. For example: If I uploaded a: "Interplanetary Spaceplane and transport" it would have the category it fits in, AND the tags the community gave it. Without the uploader having the ability to control which tags get put up.

A sort by tag system would help with this effort as well.

I think you should review the category names I've come up with and post your revision of that list. This is the main browsing menu which you can explorer the website.

For tags, I'm making them user generated but it would be nice to have a starting/default list of tags to choose from. I'm going to put a hard limit of about 5 tags per upload so that users can't spam tags onto their files.

Can you make that initial list?

Short list:

- The forums.

- The Steam Forums (Not needed at all).

- KSP Twitter.

- KSP store and Steam page.

I'll get links for you later, I'm a bit busy as of writing this.

Can you put together a document of URLs? We will need:

1. URL Link

2. Title of website

3. Short description of the website

4. Possibly an image from the website representing it.

Great.

I can work on that tomorrow. I'm not seeing the language file in the doc zip though. Has it already been updated?

Sorry, I missed your post. The file you are looking for is "en.php". I'll recheck that it is there.

EDIT: Yup, it's there. Can you append your changes to the end of the file? I'm defining error messages as I code the transaction layer. We can properly organise and standardise the file at the end of the project.

Edited by O-Doc

I think you should review the category names I've come up with and post your revision of that list. This is the main browsing menu which you can explorer the website.

For tags, I'm making them user generated but it would be nice to have a starting/default list of tags to choose from. I'm going to put a hard limit of about 5 tags per upload so that users can't spam tags onto their files.

Can you make that initial list?

For the initial list here are few for Craft files: "SSTO" "VTOL" "VAB" "Subassembly" "SPH" "Manned" "Science" "Career" "Modded" "Stock" "Recovery"

For mods (BUT NOT MODDED CRAFT): "Weapons" "Large" "Rocketry" "Science" "Plugin"

I'll come up with some more later OR you could have the author write his own, just like the community will write their's.

Can you put together a document of URLs? We will need:

1. URL Link

2. Title of website

3. Short description of the website

4. Possibly an image from the website representing it.

Great.

Forums: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum.php

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200

Steam Forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/

Kerbal Store: https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore/

Kerbal Twitter: https://twitter.com/KerbalSpaceP

Done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.