Majiir Mod Repo Challenge Accepted! O-Doc on Point

O-Doc

OK. Enough talk! I'm accepting this challenge as fun little side project. Who wants to join me? What say you?!?

"But, I'm too busy to give any time"

Well, if you have the time to find this thread and read up to here, you have the time to help out.

"But, I don't have the skills to help"

Likewise, if you are at least in high school and have no prior experience in building websites, you can still help. More Alot.

So, what can you do?

Everyone can help. No excuses. Don't be that guy, or girl. You know what I mean. Saddle up and let's get cracking. I can find a task for you regardless of the amount of time you have, or your skills and experience. I mean today. Right now, there's something you can do. Even if it's half an hour out of your day. So, none of this "I'm not a web developer..." cop out.

A bit about me. I've run my own web development business for almost seven years and have been building websites since the 90s. I'm currently on sabbatical preparing a Javascript framework for open-source release. I can and often have filled every conceivable role in website development. Front-end, back-end, manager, producer, designer, marketer, administrator, legal adviser, etc. I know the steps which need to be taken to get this turned around in double-time.

I'm in Sydney, Australia. However, I keep some pretty ridiculous hours. If you want to get in touch PM me and I'll be happy to send through my GMail address.

Below is a list of roles which, unless are filled by someone else, are currently filled by me. Tell me a bit about yourself and how you want to contribute and your name will go up on the board of glory. Many hands make light work.

BOARD OF GLORY

Project Lead: O-Doc

Project Manager: medavox

Project Co-ordinator:

PHP Developer:

PHP Developer:

SQL Developer:

HTML Developer:

XML Developer:

CSS Developer:

Javascript Developer:

Application Tester:

Graphic Designer: Skipants

Graphic Designer: Nemrav

UX Designer:

Web Producer:

Copy Writer:

Copy Editor:

Research Analyst:

DOCUMENTS

We're going commando, er, I mean primative. This is our project managemnt board. All project documents are below.

Documents List:

• Wireframes.pdf - Visual description of interfaces
  • conditions.txt - Terms of service contract/policy draft
  • styleguide.txt - Graphic design and branding guidelines
  • StyleguideVisual.pdf - Graphic design and branding visuals
  • ReplacePort logo2.png - Logo by skipants
  • testingroles.txt - Application development testing roles
  • actions_api.txt - Interface JSON api data matching database models
  • reponse_api.txt - Interface building api data matching database models
  • models.txt - Database tables
  • watchlist.xml - RSS2 feed to user of updated projects on their watchlist
  • updates.xml - RSS2 general broadcast feed for latest project updates
  • comments.xml - RSS3 feed to contributors of comments on their project
  • en.php - English application language file
  • models.sql - Database tables import file
  • testdata.sql - Database insert for application development(WIP)
  • uploads/ - Repo folder with example project from testdata.sql

TECHNOLOGY

I'm currently going for a LAMP(Linux/Aapche/MySQL/PHP) stack to develop on. we'll talk about hosting but Linux, PHP and MySQL are locked in for the first iteration of this project. We have a RESTful API which will enable us to go for something like a NodeJS/MongoDB back-end for the next version of the project. Why not go straight for this solution? Firstly, I'm a pretty hardcore LAMP guy, there really isn't anything I haven't build using the LAMP stack so I consider it a solid technology choice. Also, ODB schemas, in my mind at least, are unproven technology for doing search. Tools aready exist and I have my own PHP/MySQL search designs and algorithms if a superior technology solution is not presented and committed to by a team member.

On the front-end we are going for jQuery and possibly Backbone/Bootstrap to hold the structure together. If no-one bothers contributing then I'm happy to go straight into using my own front-end frameworks as that would be quicker for me. I'm ruling out EmberJS and Angular straight off the bat. I'm definitely leaning towards CakePHP to handle the server-side as it's pretty easy to get a quick and dirty application built on it and it's a proven technology. I personally don't see potential performance issues with the architecture I have in mind but, am open to punching out a lite 500 or so line PHP MVC framework if that's the way people want to go. That won't take more than a few hours to do.

I'm going to keep this space available to fill out tech specs as they come into the project.

Technology Version List:

• HTML5
  • CSS3 - Wireframe Framework
  • ECMA5 - Twoshoes Framework + jQuery + Mustache
  • PHP5 - Replaceport Framework
  • MySQL5 - Sphinx Search Engine(PHP)

VOLUNTEERS

This thread has one rule that rules all rules. If you want to make a suggestion then you have signed yourself up as a Project Co-ordinator/Research Analyst at the very least. That means, you go back to the community, get the concensus position, write up the proposed change and put it into the project documentation. If no section exists, it's then your job to make that happen as well.

You don't need to commit to the whole life cycle of the project. I will be posting tasks in the TODO section of this thread and if you feel you can do that task then, by all means, get stuck in. Below I'll keep a list of who is doing what at this very moment.

Current Assigned Tasks:

• O-Doc: Client-side data validation
  • O-Doc: Search engine integration
  • O-Doc: User project interactions
  • medavox: Assembling project documention into wiki

TODOS

Yep, there's stuff to do. Here's the list of current tasks which can be done right now.

Current Unassigned Tasks:

• Website copy writing

ISSUES

OK, we're not perfect. Here are the current problems we've isolated and need to solved.

Outstanding Issues List:

• Domainname purchase

MILESTONES

Yes! We're doing stuff. Things are getting done. Awesome.

All the goodness right here:

• Database schema described
  • RESTful server API defined
  • Layout wireframes created
  • Layout templates created
  • Server/Markup intergration w/ routing
  • Roles test data w/ SQL insert complete
  • Database access layer complete
  • URL + request layer mapping finished
  • Project wiki created
  • Application behavioural layer routing
  • Application request layer scripting
  • Application interaction logic
  • Website design
  • Widget development

Here's the homepage and the project default view side by side.

9WpnTYt.jpg

Edited by O-Doc

Can I ask why you spun off a new thread? The enthusiasm is awesome. I'm not sure what's so distinct about this project that requires another thread.

I'll look forward to seeing what comes of this.

Can I ask why you spun off a new thread? The enthusiasm is awesome. I'm not sure what's so distinct about this project that requires another thread.

I'll look forward to seeing what comes of this.

Talk is cheap. Your thread is all talk. Also, people can't seem to actually read the posts before replying to them..

Talk is cheap. Your thread is all talk. Also, people can't seem to actually read the posts before replying to them..

So far, this thread is all spam that could be documented elsewhere, like on Google Docs. :wink: The other thread has seen several work-in-progress implementations, two of which have come quite far. Medavox is even working to organize things at the meta level. Go ahead with this thread if you like, but certainly don't think you're the only one taking action. It could be helpful to embrace other projects.

I have some PHP experience and will be getting more over the course of the summer due to my internship/job. I'm literally only at the codecademy level right now but I'm willing to help in spare time!

Yes you can help. Everyone can help. List your skills and I'll assign tasks for you.

So far, this thread is all spam that could be documented elsewhere, like on Google Docs. :wink: The other thread has seen several work-in-progress implementations, two of which have come quite far. Medavox is even working to organize things at the meta level. Go ahead with this thread if you like, but certainly don't think you're the only one taking action. It could be helpful to embrace other projects.

Yes I saw that, that's awesome. I did point out that I'm pushing forward with an implementation. I'm just tracking progrss here because I'm past the design phase and onto the build. I'm not sure about other projects such as making decisions about core design elements half way through a build. If that's how you roll, more power to you.

Edited by stupid_chris

Allow me to humbly suggest that there are much better project management tools than a vBulletin thread. Get yourself a GitHub project going, and that way, people can really contribute, file issues, collaborate in a wiki, etc.

Allow me to humbly suggest that there are much better project management tools than a vBulletin thread. Get yourself a GitHub project going, and that way, people can really contribute, file issues, collaborate in a wiki, etc.

Hi, thanks for your input. You'll notice the github repo is setup with a documents section. I think this thread will do just fine in engaging with the community at a top level. I've used every PM tool under the sun and can tell you technology doesn't deliver outcomes. People do. I'd rather this place because it is the most accessible to everyone, coders and non-coders alike.

Please review thread rules, suggestions require actions. :)

Yes you can help. Everyone can help. List your skills and I'll assign tasks for you.

Okay, here's the deal with me:

-My final exams are done May 21. I am unavailable until then, but I wanted to jump on board early.

-This will be a "free time" project for me. I have 3 projects already over the summer, which I will offer as a "resume" of sorts (All involve programming work):

-This is my summer job and where virtually all of my PHP experience will come from.

-Project Number 2 needs a good deal of work over the summer. Most of the coding I've done is through that project.

-And this guy...(The website is sadly out of date) Our tracking system desperately needs to be replaced, and I'm working on that.

-All of these projects take priority for me. That said, I should still have plenty of free time to work on KSP-related things!

/shameless plugs

As for experience:

Thanks classes and the projects above, here's what I can offer:

-I'm an aerospace engineer, not a comp-sci guy. Fair warning.

-Related: Most of my programming has been in C++ and has been for RTOS (real-time operating systems).

-I've "learned" PHP, that is, I've done the codecademy course on it. Experience will grow significantly over the summer with my job.

-Still, PHP "feels" familiar to me. I've got the basics down.

-Don't ask me to do GUI stuff. Backend? Fine. GUI? I'm terrible at it. I'd much rather let someone with more experience do that stuff.

-I ask a lot of questions. A LOT. It's just how I work, and I feel I can produce better work with input.

I'm confused now. Who's developing what where?

Anyway, I've developed HTML/CSS websites for three clients, so I'm an amateur. My strength lies in graphics, hence I make part models here.

I think I'll wait until there's some consensus.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Hi Angus,

Thanks for your interest.

I'm going to put you down for a pretty straight forward task. I need an interface layer between the REST request and the database. So, we need to pull the data out of the JSON object and turn them into key/value arrays that match our models(database tables). On the otherside, we need to take key/value arrays and assemble them into the JSON objects to pass back into the interface. Are you up for that?

actions_api.txt describes data coming out of the interface, stored into the database and the response which is being sent back. The values match the table properties which you can find in the models.txt document. I've also just created the database import file models.sql to give you more clarity on what the database looks like. I'm happy to walk you through questions. Refer to the dropbox download for the documents.

EDIT: the response_api.txt document describes the data coming out of the database and going into the interface when a web page is requested.

I'm confused now. Who's developing what where?

Anyway, I've developed HTML/CSS websites for three clients, so I'm an amateur. My strength lies in graphics, hence I make part models here.

I think I'll wait until there's some consensus.

Hi Kipard,

I'm just kicking on with my attempt because the other thread was a lot of talk no action. I've got the wireframes for the app in Wireframes.pdf document. If you would like, you can grab a CSS framework of your choice and code up some HTML templates, and/or slap a design on them. That would be massive. We can get more people into this effort as they come in.

The design I'm going for is three columns like 960 type of layout so we can eventually go onto mobile. Check out the wireframes and let me know what you think. Cheers.

EDIT: If that's too much to bite off then just code up some of the interface elements as you see them on the wireframes, like forms, etc

Edited by stupid_chris

OK, no worries. We'll see how it goes. What will probably end up happening is immediate jobs will get priority to move the project along. If someone else puts their hand up there will almost definitely be something you can do if the API stuff has been sorted when you become available. :)

I would love to pitch in. Here is a little about me:

-Just finished sophomore year: EET Major

-Currently free time wise (other than summer job)

-Minimal coding experience: Visual Basic, C, arduio code.

-I'm pretty decent with Photoshop and have a good eye for making things look good (graphically)

Let me know what I can help with. Given a specific task I think I'll manage to give some results.

Hi Skipants,

Thanks for the help. I've got a cool job for you.If you want to do something designy I need someone to put together a style guide. Specifically, we need some typography. That mostly means fonts. I always use for my goto font set(verdana based) but, if you can pick out something nice tht would be awesome. Also, we need some icons for the website. Could you track down some font-icons which have an MIT or other non-commercial license? If you're feeling brave we need a logo and a colour palette. Do you think a creating a style guide would be out of the question?

Just to clarify, do what you feel comfortable with. Hunting down some font icons is golden. Font selection is a plus and anything else is pure gravy. I'll just give you the heads up, the font-size on the website will be 12px with 3px spacing either side. That makes 18px the base unit of the grid. Every other size is multiples of that: 16px, 18px, 24px, etc.

Edited by stupid_chris

Okay, power posting like this is not something we really like on the forums. There are other ways to separate elements of a post, mwithout typing ten different posts.

For example, you can use horizontal lines like this: ([NOPARSE]

[/NOPARSE])

Anyway, merging your double, triple, and above posts.

Edited by stupid_chris

Ok I'll give it a shot and see what I can do. I'll have my overall goal of putting together a style guide. I will have questions along the way I'm sure :wink:

I'm just going to try and get some input as I go.

Font Icons

Would something like this work for font icons? It is licenced under the SIL Open Font Licence

Font Style

Just for the sake of KISS We'll say Verdana. It's the easiest on the eyes IMO.

Color palette

http://imgur.com/Goswvtq

Goswvtq

Dark blue- Dark ascents/small back drops

Middle blue - main navigation buttons and the like

light blue - highlights

Yellow/Tan - Maybe fill in icons and what not. ideas? I think it goes well with these colors.

Red - important things/buttons

feedback on this please.

I will start working on several ideas for a logo and see what you all think, then we can pick one.

So if I understand right, making a style guide would mean putting this information into into one formal-ish document showing how it might look? Any preference on document type?

Edited by Skipants

feedback on this please.

I will start working on several ideas for a logo and see what you all think, then we can pick one.

So if I understand right, making a style guide would mean putting this information into into one formal-ish document showing how it might look? Any preference on document type?

Wow! That's great. Good stuff. I do like those fonts and colours, nice choice. If you could hammer out a small doc that would be sweet. Just throw your colour palette in there, and punch out some text in the combination of colours you think would be good. You know, for titles and sub headings. We can go for those darker colours. Maybe use the brighter colours for highlights and borders.

In terms of document format, I'm not too fussed. Word is always a standard if you've got the tools for it. I draft all my docs in Open Office and convert to what ever I need. Nice!

Keep checking the templates zip file for updates to the interface markup, it's starting to get fleshed out.

I'm going to have to pull out. I have other commitments (mods) and time management is not my strong suit. I don't know what I was thinking. I just wanted to help. Sorry.

I totally understand, thanks for your support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.