[0.14x2][stock Mun lander] Momus MkI

Kosmo-not

screenshot3zm.png

I made this today so that others may enjoy.

The whole bottom section gets you to orbit with 3 stage separations.

The rest:

The 2 fuel tanks on the upper section will do your TMI and orbital insertion burns, kills your horizontal velocity when you initialize your descent, and will slow you down just before landing. That stage is then jettisoned, and the rest of the landing is handled with RCS. Don\'t forget to deploy your landing legs. A single RCS tank return stage gets you back home.

Been trying to use your ship. Not used to using a gimbaled engine so the first couple of times I burned too late at Ap to achieve orbit. After I got it into orbit on the 3rd try, I managed to complete a TMI burn however as I was about to burn into munar orbit the engine failed (must have been some sort of bug as the tanks were still full) separating from the lander stage I use RCS to get out of the parabolic orbit and into orbit around the mun. Then Disaster strikes again and I leave the mun\'s sphere of influence and find myself in almost circular orbit around kearth.

Luck would have it there was just enough fuel to drop velocity at Ap to drop Ag into kearth\'s atmosphere and I returned the crew safely. I will try again soon.

Wow, that was some bad luck there. It reminds me of Apollo 13.

Yeah it is what changed an annoying bug into an exciting challenge.

EDIT: The same thing happened again. If I switch craft and back again. The Engine becomes greyed out and won\'t work. I\'m tempted to report the bug but I can\'t find any list of bugs to see if its been reported already. Kosmo do you get the same result if you try it?

I haven\'t had that bug yet. I recommend we just wait until the official 0.14 is out.

I just made your same ship from what I seen in the picture and my engines grey out too, its done it every single time I try.

And yes, its the lastest version, I even double checked with the auto-updater

Edit: Solved the problem, just ran fuel lines to the decoupler lol

That\'s odd it comes with fuel lines. Perhaps adding the extra lines just jogged things enough to stop the bug.

He said he built one. I don\'t blame him for the initial confusion, as the visible fuel line in the picture is hard to notice.

• 1 month later...

I keep burning through about a quarter of my Munar descent stage getting into orbit. What altitude would you suggest I should orbit at?

Orbit as low as possible for best fuel economy. What altitude were you orbiting at before?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.