Astronomer's Visual pack V3 BETA is out and it looks great!

Anyone tried this out on .24 yet?

I've been using it with 0.24 without much issue. The only thing I've noticed is some minor flickering with EVE's atmosphere while in low orbit, outside of that the Astronomer's pack works flawlessly.

Does anyone know if it's safe to replace the lens flare with the one contained in this pack?

it's in a shared assets file and they contain other files and have now been moved to separate 32 bit and 64 bit folders, so I'm guessing things have changed a bit.

Does anyone know if it's safe to replace the lens flare with the one contained in this pack?

it's in a shared assets file and they contain other files and have now been moved to separate 32 bit and 64 bit folders, so I'm guessing things have changed a bit.

I'm not sure. Try making a backup of the assets file and place it somewhere like on your desktop, then place that one. If it doesn't work then just copy the backup and paste it back to the folder.

I tried this out and it didn't work all that well, plus it messed up the loading screens between scene switches. I'd avoid using it for now.

I'm not sure. Try making a backup of the assets file and place it somewhere like on your desktop, then place that one. If it doesn't work then just copy the backup and paste it back to the folder.

Thanks tygoo7, I gave it a try but I came to the realisation that the 64 bit version just doesn't like this computer, after some testing I realised that even unmodded I'm getting lots of crashes with the x64 .exe. (which is weird because the 23.5 64 bit fix worked fine :mad:)

today I'll try modding the 32 bit version and see how things go, but I'm guessing from tests and Fenrirwolf's post (thanks Fenrirwolf :)) that the sharedassets file in Astronomer's pack will need an update and is not recommended at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with missing clouds/layers of various celestials.(only 2 layers for kerbin ,laythe and duna)

Also no auroras.

The older versions worked fine. Ireinstalled it multiple times(clean install of course)

better atmospheres makes no problems but i prefer the astronomers pack.

When I press alt+n I dont get any layers to choose from(e.g. eve)

I think it's a problem with the .cfg.

I'm using atm and tex replacer with the x86 executable.(removing those didn't help me either)

Edited by ximrm

Two quick questions:

- Is this ready for the newest KSP version?

- Are there still those ungodly and annoying glows around airless bodies which look like atmospheres?

glows arent annoying and when done right and when there is no problen on your end they dont look like atmospheres they fade as you get close you wont even realize it, glows are an undeniable gift to visuel pacts, just deal with it

glows arent annoying and when done right and when there is no problen on your end they dont look like atmospheres they fade as you get close you wont even realize it, glows are an undeniable gift to visuel pacts, just deal with it

They are annoying to me and lots of other people, as I've seen so far. They have literally zero realism in them. Bodies without atmospheres are sharp. Contrasts are maximal. On one end there's a sunlit surface, on the other is the total blackness of the void. Using this mod, I have the feeling I'm orbiting a body with a thick atmosphere.

If this is a mod that simulates astronauts's eye cataracts, it's doing a fabulous work.

cataractEffects.jpg

This is meant for Astronomer.

The thing is I did a variation of your pack and EvE to make it more to my liking. I had some goals, reduce the cloud layer to just one, to reduce fps lag and memory use, keep only the main cloud layer. Then jack up the shadows as much as possible to enhance that 3 dimensional shadow effect. Also changed some speeds so the clouds move more naturally especially at 4x time accel. Finally, I added 2 more layers of atmospheric haze. One at 9000m and one at 45,000m to give a more realistic, gradual effect of the air becoming more dense.

I actually don't plan to make a add on pack of it.. just wondering if something like this could be possible for future updates to your mod, maybe as a alternate option? PS- The double planet effect turned out on accident, lol.

76AF8295139AE909DB5BA4AF3BC99091A2AD6F71

A4C75D8DFA6CF450613F62508D4D71CBB6C43A49

Edited by mcbmaestro

Two quick questions:

- Are there still those ungodly and annoying glows around airless bodies which look like atmospheres?

Download Proot's renaissance pack. Pull out the Real Solar System plugin ( and JUST the RSS plugin with its folder ) and drop it into your GameData. Ignore the out of date notice. No more glow on the horizon. Looks beautiful with this pack.

:Edit. Oh AIRLESS bodies. Sorry. Idk I kinda like the subtle glow around the Mun. And it's not far from being realistic. Apollo astronauts reported a glow on the Moons horizon. Which sparked the LADEE mission a few years back. Dust gets kicked up by magnetism iirc.

Edited by Motokid600

Two quick questions:

Or you can go to tracking station view head to the airless planets and hit ctrl-alt-n to bring up the tool bar to edit the planets and either tell it to switch back to the default look or go through the layers and turn down the glow which is the A slider. Use it and make it look the way you want it too.

Or you could always go into the configuration file and scroll down to the haze layers you don't like and where it says R,G,B,A.. change the A (alpha brightness) to 0, which should make them invisible, or you could just delete the cloud layer in the cfg, just becareful not to mess up the brackets and stuf.

This is meant for Astronomer.

The thing is I did a variation of your pack and EvE to make it more to my liking. I had some goals, reduce the cloud layer to just one, to reduce fps lag and memory use, keep only the main cloud layer. Then jack up the shadows as much as possible to enhance that 3 dimensional shadow effect. Also changed some speeds so the clouds move more naturally especially at 4x time accel. Finally, I added 2 more layers of atmospheric haze. One at 9000m and one at 45,000m to give a more realistic, gradual effect of the air becoming more dense.

I actually don't plan to make a add on pack of it.. just wondering if something like this could be possible for future updates to your mod, maybe as a alternate option? PS- The double planet effect turned out on accident, lol.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/36346215638900340/76AF8295139AE909DB5BA4AF3BC99091A2AD6F71/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/36346215611363529/A4C75D8DFA6CF450613F62508D4D71CBB6C43A49/

Hey I really like the way this looks. Is there any chance you could post our .cfg file for this, or give a few more exact details, I would really like to replicate this image.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.