Astronomer's Visual pack V3 BETA is out and it looks great!

I'll second that. It looks good, and I'd at least like to check it out. Pretty please?

I`ll third that. If it looks better and renders quicker or the same that sounds good to me.

Hmm, post was on aug 14, we may be out of luck...

I love the way this looks in game, aside from the Jool effects, which I removed. (I had a very nice Jool surface texture and all the clouds and thick glow did was hide it). Anyways, I have one last issue. When you are near or under clouds, anywhere, it seems you get this thick mass above you even if it should be otherwise clear based on the clouds. Who really wants to live under a cloud all the time? I went to see the aurora and couldn't see it from the ground above me because of this and I was sad. I specifically landed in a place which had no visible clouds from above. How do I remove this particular feature??

Thanks!

I love the way this looks in game, aside from the Jool effects, which I removed. (I had a very nice Jool surface texture and all the clouds and thick glow did was hide it). Anyways, I have one last issue. When you are near or under clouds, anywhere, it seems you get this thick mass above you even if it should be otherwise clear based on the clouds. Who really wants to live under a cloud all the time? I went to see the aurora and couldn't see it from the ground above me because of this and I was sad. I specifically landed in a place which had no visible clouds from above. How do I remove this particular feature??

Thanks!

You go to the menu by pressing Alt + N and remove Jool's layers. Jool is a gas giant so it is made of clouds and you can't land on it. :P

You go to the menu by pressing Alt + N and remove Jool's layers. Jool is a gas giant so it is made of clouds and you can't land on it. :P

I already took care of Jool, I'm more interested in removing the other clouds that you only see when around ground level. If it's a clear day, I want to see the dang sky.

Also the OP used my LOTUS lander for the reddit pics!! It took me a while to realize it was my lander. :D

http://imgur.com/a/g67Jh

MJ

MOD LINK: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/plugins...l-pack-v3-beta

God I love that man's work. I really hope we one day see all his work go stock, Unity and multi-core support notwithstanding.

edit: Atmosphere-less planet airglow aside.

Edited by Franklin

Is there a reason why celestial bodies without atmosphere look like they have atmosphere? It annoys me and that's the reason I've removed this mod. It simply ruins the experience of flight in vacuum for me.

Everything else is simply great, but this glow is something I can't get over. Is there any way to remove this option?

Somehow (by chance?) i installed this with recommended quality and it barely impacts my performance (well, 20% less fps for stunning visuals? i can live with that). Previously it murdered my framerates (like from ~80 to ~10). Lovin` the airless bodies haze.

Is there a reason why celestial bodies without atmosphere look like they have atmosphere?

Objects in space reflect light. For hum.. em.. kerbal eye, there always be a haze ( or "atmosphere" as you call it) around them. Your eye is not a camera lense, you know ;)

• 1 month later...

is there difference between Astronomer`s visual pack - edge of obvilion and Astronomer`s visual pack - Interstellar?

right now i have Astronomer`s visual pack - edge of obvilion installed and it is really great.

btw/ i can not open link to Interstellar given in the first post.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not sure if you could answer this, but do any of you know how I would go about installing hot rockets along side astronomers?

I'm kinda confused on your question. Wouldn't you just install them both? I have them both installed and they work fine together. :)

Not sure if you could answer this, but do any of you know how I would go about installing hot rockets along side astronomers?

Hotrockets works by changing the stock engines from using moduleEngines (with the crappy blue flame) to moduleEnginesFX (created for the SLS engines so custom particles were easily doable). It doesn't work through EVE or TextureReplacer or anything like that. Its just the new particle effects and an MM patch.

On a more relevant note, what are people's favorite versions of this pack? TBH I prefer Edge of Oblivion over all the others.

i found this quite boring: maxed out interstellarV2 cannot be run on vanilla ksp even with openGL and 64bit. It just doesn't start up, memory crashes upon final loading.. weird in my opinion.

heres how I tried it: install every mod one by one, eventually I got up to the jool, and installed the huge 107mb cloud pack, it look'd fantastic, then I installed the skybox, and suddenly my clouds went away, also I used a 0.90 compatible sunflare, it made the game. how ever, there's a catch here and there some of the lightning don't work, the interstellar packs sunflare doesn't work. and some other modules caused crashes, without them ran just fine. until I hit the memory limit, even the 2k clouds caused problems when it was installed in its complicity. the clouds actualyl were not there. but it's a unity thing, can't just help it. makes me sort of sad...

i found this quite boring: maxed out interstellarV2 cannot be run on vanilla ksp even with openGL and 64bit. It just doesn't start up, memory crashes upon final loading.. weird in my opinion.

heres how I tried it: install every mod one by one, eventually I got up to the jool, and installed the huge 107mb cloud pack, it look'd fantastic, then I installed the skybox, and suddenly my clouds went away, also I used a 0.90 compatible sunflare, it made the game. how ever, there's a catch here and there some of the lightning don't work, the interstellar packs sunflare doesn't work. and some other modules caused crashes, without them ran just fine. until I hit the memory limit, even the 2k clouds caused problems when it was installed in its complicity. the clouds actualyl were not there. but it's a unity thing, can't just help it. makes me sort of sad...

Astronomers didn't load for me before I got my new CP. It could be you just don't have a beefy enough CPU/GPU.

I have a problem. I really enjoy astronomy and Interstellar togheter, but it seems that ANYA mod that expand the universe doesn't work with them... I tried with Multiple Star System, Stella Expansion, Kopernicus... Just Real Solar System works, but it's boring achieve a Warp Drive without the chance to travel to another solar system... Am I alone or someone have the same idea?

AVP seems to be broken with the current version. It's something to do with the detail1.png file in the cloud textures, which seems to be the file responsible for ALL clouds in the game. The file in question is pretty big (~50mb,) but even replacing it with a smaller one (I tried the ~500kb version from KSPRC) doesn't help. Removing the file will allow the game to run, although installing any other large mods is a no-no, since AVP by itself is pushing the memory requirement up around about 3GB.

If you're looking for an alternative, Proot's KSPRC seems to be functioning with version .9. It's lacking some of the fancier features (like surface dust,) but it makes the game look nice and adds clouds.

EDIT:

This is based on my own experiences and what I encountered while trying to solve the problem via Google. Your results may vary.

Edited by TheDamDog

I never had a problem with the Edge of Oblivion pack as well as HD planets & skybox, part mods, etc. but after getting the Interstellar version, I also kept getting out of memory crashes as soon as the menu would try to load. I kept an eye on memory consumption during the load process and it barely hit 3Gb. The game in the past worked fine up until ~3.7GB. For the record, I was using the OpenGL switch to save memory as opposed to ATM, since it caused issues for me in the past since .90. I did get the latest basic version, and it seems to have fixed the issue, though it took half an hour to run the first time with all the mods I have installed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.