[1.1] SXT - Lack's Stock Extension [SXT-25-10APR16] - Basic 1.1 compatibilty

Lack

@Raptor9,

I'm thinking it was American Hustle, Louise CK was in that, and wearing the same glasses. What about attaching some turbo-jet booster units? Then you can save a bit of fuel and ditch them once you get to the right altitude. Mind you, I'm not great at building space planes, normal planes are fine though.

I'm considering trying a 1.25m to 2x(1.25m) version of the adaptor as well, rather than just the 1.25m to Mk2. Can get an even more faithful replica that way.

@eygc,Hellbrand,

I don't suppose you could post a list of the parts affected; I haven't been able to get ATM to run since about 0.24 since, perhaps ironically, I run out of memory when I use it (at least on this computer, might work on the newer one).

Then I can have a look at which textures are the problem. If it's affecting the centrifuge, that's probably one of the test parts where I've used a 'not texture' marked as a texture, or just re-named a 1x1 .tga to .png (which oddly seemed to fix the .tga loader bugs). The stock part loader doesn't care if it's a text file marked as .png or a 1024x1024 texture for SXT's purposes. While a 1x1 texture gets scaled up to 64x64 apparently, using a text file seems like it might be saving a bit of memory.

@_Rade,

Yeah, I've had that a few times. I haven't got the Unity files for it, so can't change that side of it, but I did get it working better than it first was by playing around with the configs (but evidently it's still a bit of a problem). I normally wiggle the wheels or use go to x2 physical time-warp for a few seconds and that tends to work.

from what i can tell ANYTHING at all that uses the stock textures tends to break. anything with windows, I know for a fact ALL the cockpits are affected, the small and large jet engine, the small propeller, the cargo fuselages and aircraft tails. cockpits. and the wings. from what it seems ALL objects are affected in the pack. theres also an issue with the small jet engine. that when you change the slider for it's thrust or even right click it in any way it increases the mass to some ungodly number. >_> kind of odd cause it shoots my price to Na/n

from what i can tell ANYTHING at all that uses the stock textures tends to break. anything with windows, I know for a fact ALL the cockpits are affected, the small and large jet engine, the small propeller, the cargo fuselages and aircraft tails. cockpits. and the wings. from what it seems ALL objects are affected in the pack. theres also an issue with the small jet engine. that when you change the slider for it's thrust or even right click it in any way it increases the mass to some ungodly number. >_> kind of odd cause it shoots my price to Na/n

Ah. Well then it seems there's not really much I can do except say that it's incompatible with ATM, at least until Rbray adds some sort of exception for the SXT folder. I could possibly try changing the texture sizes to 64x64 and see if that makes a difference, but that's a tonne of textures to change for something that I can't independently check. Actually, would you be able to try that, maybe open up the .png files for a part and change the size to 64x64, then see if that works.

Also, there's a fix for the small jet engine in my post at the top of this page.

@mecki,

Which one is the 'AJE Williams FJ44', AJE changes all the names. Although I should probably run through all the engines to make sure the electric module is updated.

Edit: Guessing it's the small 0.625m one, it's the only engine with the old module setup, here's a fix.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/electricchargefix.zip

That totally fixed it, thanks!

Also getting those red areas in the parts.

I'm using ATM (Aggressive) and also Venns Stock Part Revamp (if that could affect your textures). There is a Script in Stock Part Revamp that renames all of Squads parts to not load them to save memory. Could that be a part of the problem?

Hey, I uploaded some images of the corruption I was talking about here. HTH! Thanks for the mod :)

Okay, now this is really useful. It doesn't appear to matter how I have the 'textures' set up on my end; the only common domoniator I can see is that all of the effected textures, seemingly without exception, are from the NASAmission folder. The ones in the Squad folder all seem to load. Something on ATM's end with the handling of that folder, then?

I wonder if moving the contents of the NASAmission folder to the Squad folder would change anything (if you do that you'd have to run a search and replace for 'NASAmission/' to 'Squad/' in the SXT folder via Notepad++). I haven't got my KSP install itself on this computer, but if anyone's willing to try that'd be great, else I can give it a shot tomorrow when I pick up the files. Then it might be possible to set up a patch for ATM in a similar way to how Nathan handled the old Ven's SPR-SXT patch.

Also, the red/white means that the game hasn't 'got' a proper texture for the part (if it can't find a file, it tends to crash during load, I assume this means it's having trouble reading the file it found as a texture), on a plain UV map it'd show up as a check-pattern.

@mecki,

Ven's SPR used to require a compatiblity patch, but I believe the latest versions should work fine with SXT. Although I haven't tested this. But it's looking like it's definitely something with ATM/NASAmission, unless it's every single texture that is red/white.

Edited by Lack

Not sure how much a negative report helps, but I am using ATM Aggressive (set to 1/4) and I'm not getting these texture errors with SXT parts. I'm using lots of other things as well, let me know if you need any more details. I just added more stuff (mod usage is a terrible affliction) so I'll let you know if straining the memory yet further causes this to occur.

Well Lack, your Dontstayputnik currently holds the record for the most A&B the C of D probe in my fleet!

This little Peregrine class started life as a simple temperature scanner and my first Minmus shot, intended for a one-way trip and single contract only. Happily he had loads of fuel, and another contract popped up nearby, so he did that too. A few months later, all but forgotten, he was retrofitted with a new seismic sensor (using KAS) when a manned mission landed by chance within 2km of him. Since launch, he has completed 3 temperature and 3 seismic contracts, and earned something like $600,000 for KSC.

peregrine-home.jpg

After such dedication, and short on fuel, I decided to bring the valiant little guy home for a museum piece. Originally planned to park him in orbit of Kerbin and fit a parachute but he accidentally got aerocaptured and... well, turns out he was light enough to land on the fumes in his tank, just over the mountains from KSC and with 100% refund (transponder).

Great little probe all around - wouldn't have worked with a stock Stayputnik without any SAS, but the DSPN and a small reaction wheel really shone in the early days. I like to think this one is now on display in the astronaut complex :)

Hey, I uploaded some images of the corruption I was talking about here. HTH! Thanks for the mod :)

i have the exact same issue with the exact same parts.

but i dont use ATM

the SXT zip doesnt have a \gamedata\"NASAmission"\ folder. that would explain why it cant find the textures.

EDIT: verified local file integrity.. NASAmission now in the gamedata folder. will check again

Edited by trekfan42

I was wondering if the air-brakes are meant to be FAR compatible? They look great, but they currently don't see to be doing any actual air-braking in FAR. It would also be nice if they activated when pressing B.

I was wondering if the air-brakes are meant to be FAR compatible? They look great, but they currently don't see to be doing any actual air-braking in FAR. It would also be nice if they activated when pressing B.

Yeah, they should work in FAR (I never play without it, so they're actually designed with FAR in mind). Although the effects are not as drastic as you'd get on stock since FAR nerfs them, so the values were set up to give it a more realistic value in FAR (I think anyway, I was going by the drag values from a similarly sized spoiler at the same deflection going about 100-200m/s).

You'll have to ask snjo in the Firespitter thread about getting them auto-added to the brakes sub-group, as they use the firespitter.dll. I've had a look through this https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/blob/master/Firespitter/aero/FSairBrake.cs but couldn't see any values that I could add to a .cfg file on my end.

@trekfan42,

Hmmm, I take it you're using Steam. I wonder if that's having problems with the NASAmission folder for some people.

@darloth,

Thanks, that is useful. Don't get enough negative data in general, but people don't so much come on the forums to say that something is working exactly as intended.

@eddiew,

Thanks, I enjoyed reading that. And here I was thinking about nerfing the DSPN; I might make it so it's just a bit more expensive and keep the reaction-wheel. I still think that Squad puts probes a bit late in the tech-tree; I see why they do it, but it's nice for people to be able to replicate a proper Sputnik earlier on I think.

If other people see the same red/white texture problems, it'd be interesting to see if you have Active Texture Management, if Squad/ and NASAmission/ are in the GameData/ folder, and a screenshot of an affected part (especially if some of the textures on it load, while others don't).

Edited by Lack

so when can we expect the B-52 styled cockpit for the new Mk.3 standard :o

I was just going to include it with SXT-20, but work on that has slowed since I've been back at work this week. The actual model was finished just before Christmas, so I can release that this evening/tomorrow as a mini-pack, with the IVA to follow in the main update (I can rig it to use the Kossak IVA in the mean time).

@Kropotkin,

No problem, happy to help.

I speak for many when i say YAY!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/subpacks/SXTMk3B-52Cockpit.zip

rtNnJ9v.png

There it is, it's just using the Kossak IVA (shifted to about the right postion) at the moment, which I've included in the DL so it should work as a standalone as well. The ladders aren't really working at the moment though, so I'll fiddle around with them some more.

Is anybody else seeing some of the part descriptions not showing up correctly / at all? I searched through the thread briefly but could not find any mention of it. Looking into the .cfg files it seems that many contain either blank descriptions or the text of a model in place of where an actual description would go. Here is an example from one of the probe cores, followed by another example which does include a description:

TechRequired = advFlightControl

entryCost = 2800

cost = 1600

category = Pods

subcategory = 0

title = JKSS Probe Core

manufacturer = Probodobodyne Inc

description = [sXT\Parts\Command\probe]

TechRequired = largeControl

entryCost = 1600

cost = 1400

category = Propulsion

subcategory = 0

title = Munar Descent Stage

manufacturer = Kerlington Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc

description = You'll want to add a TR-2C or TR-2V miniture stack decoupler to the top of this. The Descent stage's primary job is to support a powered landing and surface extravehicular activity. When the excursion is over, it serves as the launch pad for the ascent stage. It also carries a Surface Experiment Package and has some room for KAS storage.

So in game, the first one is showing up as JKSS Probe Core, Probodobodyne Inc, [sXT\Parts\Command\probe]. I tried redownloading from Kerbalstuff but the .cfg files are the same. Has a patch been released or anything been released? I was planning on writing up some descriptions for the parts that I was going to use in my career mode, and I would be happy to share if that is the case. If they have been completed could somebody please link me the correct files? Thanks.

edited for grammar.

Edited by DanBMan

Is anybody else seeing some of the part descriptions not showing up correctly / at all? I searched through the thread briefly but could not find any mention of it. Looking into the .cfg files it seems that many contain either blank descriptions or the text of a model in place of where an actual description would go. Here is an example from one of the probe cores, followed by another example which does include a description:

entryCost = 2800

cost = 1600

category = Pods

subcategory = 0

title = JKSS Probe Core

description = [sXT\Parts\Command\probe]

TechRequired = largeControl

entryCost = 1600

cost = 1400

category = Propulsion

subcategory = 0

title = Munar Descent Stage

manufacturer = Kerlington Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc

description = You'll want to add a TR-2C or TR-2V miniture stack decoupler to the top of this. The Descent stage's primary job is to support a powered landing and surface extravehicular activity. When the excursion is over, it serves as the launch pad for the ascent stage. It also carries a Surface Experiment Package and has some room for KAS storage.

So in game, the first one is showing up as JKSS Probe Core, Probodobodyne Inc, [sXT\Parts\Command\probe]. I tried redownloading from Kerbalstuff but the .cfg files are the same. Has a patch been released or anything been released? I was writing up some descriptions for the parts that I was going to use in my career mode, and I would be happy to share if that is the case. If they have been completed could somebody please link me the correct files? Thanks.

edited for grammar.

The descriptions aren't bugged - they are simply references to where the parts are located right now, just FYI - you're not crazy. They should show up in game as [thedirectorystuff] that you saw.

The descriptions aren't bugged - they are simply references to where the parts are located right now, just FYI - you're not crazy. They should show up in game as [thedirectorystuff] that you saw.

Thanks it was actually bugging me a little, thought I installed it wrong somehow. No biggie though, when you add this many parts to the game a few missing item descriptions are understandable, esp with the .90 update the fact that the mod works period is a testament to the author. Like I said, I have been looking into .cfg files so I guess I will get writing those descriptions for some of the parts I plan on using once I am done sorting out the rest of the mods (deleting parts to reduce clutter and increase performance, matching part performance from different mods). For personal use mind you; I don't want to break any license terms so I will not release them without Lack's permission. Although I don't see any harm in posting the first one I thought of though, it might not be the greatest but it fills in the blank in the first example from above:

entryCost = 2800

cost = 1600

category = Pods

subcategory = 0

title = JKSS Probe Core

description = Studies conducted by Probodobodyne Inc have found that today's youth consider mono-propellent engines to be quote totally main-stream, uncool, and Grandpa Bill always talks about how Mono-propellent engines saved his butt in the first Mun landing, ugh what is with all of these questions?!. Upon being bribed for more information, the participants revealed that Xenon powered Ion engines were the current trending item. So in an effort to reach out to the youth and more importantly increase sales, the JKSS has had a tank of xenon crammed inside of it. Solar panels and ion engine sold separately.

Edit: Grammar again and also removed quote marks from dialogue, not sure if they will mess with anything in the code. Also if this is breaking and license terms please let me know any I will remove it.

Edited by DanBMan

A few questions:

-Is there an updated tweakscale CFG that includes the new parts (like the 5m tanks)?

-Is there a remote possibility of making an SXT-alike texture pack for procedural fairings?

Yeah, it's not a bugged install, they just haven't been written yet (it takes time, and I always get distracted by making new parts/revamping existing ones). It also helps people find where the config is, most of the parts are findable in the file structure, but there's a few 'part families' like the Osaul where the files are all in the same folder rather than split between Command/fuelTanks/etc (it's easier for me when I'm making the mod and cuts down on the number of textures).

Feel free to release descriptions (you can always have it as a MM patch for unofficial patches. Just have something like this as 'SXTdescriptionpatch.cfg'). Although, I actually really like the one you've written for the JKSS probe and would like to include it in the next update. If you're interested in helping out, writting descriptions is something I'd like help with.

@Sauron,

Not at the moment, haven't played through SXT with tweakscale recently so it's escaped my attention somewhat.

Possibly, I'll have to look into how it's done.

EDIT:

I made a new avionics nose cone with a built in transmitter, and I finally got round to putting the Energia nose-cone I had lying around in-game (I updated the 5m parts mini-pack with it as well). Although hoojiwana & Beale have shown off a far more impressive one in the AB launchers thread, but I think they're planning on 3.75m, while this one is 5m and should fit in with the rest of the NASAmission-style parts; so there's still a niche I think.

5peirfv.png

Edited by Lack

Although hoojiwana & Beale have shown off a far more impressive one in the AB launchers thread, but I think they're planning on 3.75m, while this one is 5m and should fit in with the rest of the NASAmission-style parts; so there's still a niche I think.

Actually, it will be 5m. I still think that SXT should have one as well, just so you don't need AB to make Energia.