[1.1] SXT - Lack's Stock Extension [SXT-25-10APR16] - Basic 1.1 compatibilty

Lack

@eddiew,

Some nice ideas there (solar wings esp, only problem is that 'symmetry' isn't really symmetry, but rather flipping it upside down on the other side, so you end up with one side solar up, t'other down), only thought what can be done with combining existing parts, as I try to favour the modular approach. I had been thinking of a nose-cone with internal space for science experiments, but a .625 + 1.25m cargo bays could serve the same purpose.

Well that's some pretty weird symmetry right there :S You're right that you can of course put solars onto wings, but I've noticed that FAR treats them as a source of drag (even if it probably shouldn't) so it kinda kills off the concept of an electric drone/glider since it would absolutely have to be minimal drag.

Nose cone cargo space for science packages does sound interesting, actually. Even a little 0.625 would fit something in there :)

Lack, thank you for this! The more conservative black and white color scheme makes this N-1 look amazing. Great work!

Thanks. I'm far happier with the way it's looking now (although I do miss the brighter colours a wee bit).

@eddiew,

I could still do a double-sided version though, would just need to see if it'll work okay with the solar ray-catcher transform properly.

---===---

I've got a Pre-release of SXT-20, I'm aiming for a proper release on CKAN/kerbalstuff this weekend (so probably sometime next week, weekend after). So this is mainly bug hunting, seeing if it brakes anything.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXT20prerelease.zip

Here's a few of the changes (I kind of forgot to update this at points, so there's some stuff missing).

SXT-20

- Added 2 seater 0.625m cockpit - Model 87 Kondor, with IVA
- Added 2.5m Mk1-2 Entente - with tilting nose for landing and IVA
- Added Mk3 Marble-8 cockpit (no dedicated IVA currently)
- Added 1.25m propeller engines - KO-221D, F & KASRE-66
- Added new airbrake and re-balanced existing ones
- 2 new large flaps, plus smaller flaps for small planes
- 2 new 0.625m rocket engines
- New 0.625m tanks
- New Mk3 loading ramp
- New small launch-clamp
- Revamped N1 rocket parts
- 1.25m to Mk2 adaptor with inbuilt intakes
- New 1.25m avionics nose-cone
- Added Energia-like Nose Cone
- Patch for mk3 part's breaking tolerance, they kept falling apart stupidly easily
- Buffed wing lift with stock aerodynamics
- Fixed wing's FAR support
- Added curved wing-tip
- Increased weight of KO-550 to 0.2kg
- Moved MEM seats forwards a bit
- Lowered weight of KC-8 Passenger cabins to the Mk3 Passenger Cabin
- Thickened small modular wing slightly
- Added half length small modular wing and 2 small flaps
- Fixed LV-T80's electric charge module
- Reduced weight of radial hull parts for Osaul since they don't currently do anything.
- Fixed radial MkP cockpit's electric charge module
- Re-naming some parts for part-list sorting
- Rebalance of LFO Barrel cost

Still looking for people to fill in part descriptions, I've added a few more, but it's time consuming.

A few issues:

I haven't completed smaller landing gear for the small planes

Mk3 Flap is big, very big, probably too big. And doesn't work properly in FAR.

A few images:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Holy cow, that needlepoint nosecone! My gluteus maximii clenched at the sight of it :o

Would there be any chance of a cockpit with a couple of mounting points for air intakes, or that just was an air intake? One of the big holdbacks on a super-slim plane is the mandatory requirement for nacelles to get any decent amount of oxygen.

Also double sided solar wings - yessssssss. Or even just a flatter (or slightly humped in the middle) solar panel that doesn't raise up from the attachment surface like the stock one, and doesn't cause FAR drag? Both would be a useful addition to planery :)

As far as I can see, this mod should be integrated into the stock game itself! These are awesome!

Wow, I really like these. Yeah, I'd like to integrate some RPM stuff at some point, just need to find out which axis is the front and I can set up some transforms. There's bits of space/repeated dials in most of the IVAs set up with that in mind.

@Sampa,

Thanks, means a lot to hear.

---===---

I don't suppose anyone here is handy with setting up landing gear or, preferably, has a Unity file with one set up correctly they'd be willing to share? I had a go at it, but got just a little bit annoyed with it.

Here's what I was working on.

wx3f1qV.png

I'd love to give you a hand with the part descriptions. Do you have a Github or something?

Thanks! 'fraid not, the whole github thing scares/confuses me a bit (damn my reactionary tendencies). But a text document with the description and part name would work.

Lack, I like the outer appearance of the new cockpits. However, the limited visibility inside the cockpits makes it very hard to fly any of them in IVA.

The instruments, gauges, etc. in all but one of the cockpits come up to the chin or eyes. As a result, the windows are only useful for viewing what is above the pilot. They're terrible for landings.

The one exception is the cockpit with full windows in the front. This would be amazing, but the front seat is placed so far forward that the pilot has an extremely limited view. It's almost as if the Kerbal has tunnel vision. If the front chair were moved back behind the windows then the field of vision would grow tremendously.

Lack, I like the outer appearance of the new cockpits. However, the limited visibility inside the cockpits makes it very hard to fly any of them in IVA.

The instruments, gauges, etc. in all but one of the cockpits come up to the chin or eyes. As a result, the windows are only useful for viewing what is above the pilot. They're terrible for landings.

The one exception is the cockpit with full windows in the front. This would be amazing, but the front seat is placed so far forward that the pilot has an extremely limited view. It's almost as if the Kerbal has tunnel vision. If the front chair were moved back behind the windows then the field of vision would grow tremendously.

You're going to have to give me some part names here.

I know what you mean though, while I've tried to base things off actual cockpits, the kerbal's basic IVA viewpoint comes out of their mouth instead of their eyes, and having such massive foreheads (they still have to fit in the cockpit, so this a bit of a 'double-whammy'). If you double-click on most of the windows it'll provide a better view for the most part, and generally raise the camera to eye-height. I'll have another look at the ke-111 though.

So I've moved the seat back a bit,

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Although the Kerbal's default FOV is still pretty tight, so this is zoomed back out a little to a nicer FOV.

Edited by Lack

Some of your cockpits has SAS build in, is this intended?

Took me a few minutes to work out what you meant, I see they've changed the cfg set-up from under me again :rolleyes: That'll have been part of the whole SAS being moved to a pilot skill, and kerbals now having skills thing. I'll have a run through and fix it.

Thank you, but the only modeling i know involves plastic and glue, so if you're lost, then clearly i'm going to be. Also, what's the new .5 meter engine based off? I know i've seen something like that somewhere before.

Thank you, but the only modeling i know involves plastic and glue, so if you're lost, then clearly i'm going to be. Also, what's the new .5 meter engine based off? I know i've seen something like that somewhere before.

Heh, yeah, I think it's a remnant of the old parts system and I'm guessing it's pretty reliant on the transform's hierarchy. The closest I've managed was the skids in LLL, but I could never get that to actually have friction, which made landing with them difficult.

The new .625s are based on the Vanguard rocket's engines, so the X-405 and the early AJ-10.

@ robson1000,

Thanks, I'll add that as well.

Edited by Lack

I loved the X-405 when i played RSS, i once used 20 of them to make orbit. I bet all the RSSers are going to be happy to have that. Do we have any chance of getting a V2 engine? I want one so i can cluster it like crazy and build the whole A9/A10/A11/A12 series, it had about 50 engines on the first stage, and put 10 tonnes to orbit, so something of a crazy idea.

I loved the X-405 when i played RSS, i once used 20 of them to make orbit. I bet all the RSSers are going to be happy to have that. Do we have any chance of getting a V2 engine? I want one so i can cluster it like crazy and build the whole A9/A10/A11/A12 series, it had about 50 engines on the first stage, and put 10 tonnes to orbit, so something of a crazy idea.

Yeah possibly, I do quite like the shape of it. Plus, those were some crazy designs.

Bit more bug hunting and a new pre-release:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXT20-prerelease1.zip

> Should have fixed the SAS issues.

> Played around with IVAs a little, jiggling the seats, etc.

> A description or two more.

Edited by Lack