[1.1] SXT - Lack's Stock Extension [SXT-25-10APR16] - Basic 1.1 compatibilty

Lack

Yeah possibly, I do quite like the shape of it. Plus, those were some crazy designs.

Bit more bug hunting and a new pre-release:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXT20-prerelease1.zip

> Should have fixed the SAS issues.

> Played around with IVAs a little, jiggling the seats, etc.

> A description or two more.

Thank you for your work, Lack. I will try out the new IVAs.

My favorite part of your revisions and additions is still the revised N-1. I think that is your finest work.

PPD-8 Lander Can has SAS too just like truck cabins.

Thanks, I've gone through with Notepad++'s search folder, should have got them all now.

@CrisK,

Thanks. I'm happy with how that turned out as well, they went from some of my least favourite parts to some of my favourites.

---===---

I've updated the Kerbalstuff/main page with the new update (and only a month and a bit than I'd wanted).

How Jeb stopped worrying about aerodynamics and started being Batman. Doesn't it look a bit like it could be the new Bat-Wing?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This little plane interestingly is capable of flight and somehow it is not as unstable as I expected. I doubt that it would fly in FAR or NEAR because right now I'm using neither because while explosions are nice, I want to fly something. Yes, I'm not a good pilot and not playing for some time didn't help. :D

That new tilting nose cockpit looks awesome. Going to take a look at the other stuff later.

Edited by The Mechanic

I'm still having a problem with pink parts:

cmgib.png

I am using Active Texture Management - Aggressive, but this phenomenon isn't appearing with other mods. I haven't seen the likes of this since the days of the original Sunday Punch, really. If I recall correctly, this happens because of a missing alpha channel in the texture images (RGB instead of RGBA).

I think ATM is involved in some way, but that doesn't explain why other mods are not similarly affected. (Firespitter shows several parts with flipped normals, but that seems another issue.)

Nice update! This mod is definitely becoming a dependency for RtK, lots of new cool stuff! :)

Thanks. If you want anything done for RtK made let me know, I'll see if I can help.

*cool plane*

Nice, I'd bet with a bit of tweaking you could get it to fly in FAR as well (well, take-off, might not be too controllable).

*snip*

I think ATM is involved in some way, but that doesn't explain why other mods are not similarly affected. (Firespitter shows several parts with flipped normals, but that seems another issue.)

Yeah, it's ATM's doing. I've spent a long time faffing around trying to fix it (to no effect), but I've taken another look at it and think I might have actually managed it now.

Go to /ActiveTextureManagement/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/SXT.cfg

and change

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = SXT
enabled = [B]true[/B]
}

to

{
folder = SXT
enabled =[B] false[/B]
}

You may need to delete the 'textureCache' as well and re-build it.

The folder doesn't really need compressing anyway. It seems to fix it on my end, so I'm hoping that it works for others.

Yeah, it's ATM's doing. I've spent a long time faffing around trying to fix it (to no effect), but I've taken another look at it and think I might have actually managed it now.

Go to /ActiveTextureManagement/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/SXT.cfg

and change

{
folder = SXT
enabled = [B]true[/B]
}

to

{
folder = SXT
enabled =[B] false[/B]
}

You may need to delete the 'textureCache' as well and re-build it.

The folder doesn't really need compressing anyway. It seems to fix it on my end, so I'm hoping that it works for others.

I made the changes you recommended and the parts still look the same for me. Could it be a Mac thing?

Hey Lack. Having some major issues with your pack, the same ones that everyone else is having. I have done the whole moving the Nasa folder, using alternate configs etc and I still get a LOT of black AND red textures. I figured I would give you the lists. I have abbreviated them but you should know what they are anyway. I hope this helps you identify what the hell is going on.

Black List: (Parts that are black,or red, no matter what I do)

JKSS

LFO Barrel

Bonny (cockpit and tail)

Boconoc

XM-600

XM-800

Red List:

JKSS

SC-XL10

LFO Barrel

XX-32

Tiny Jed (engine)

Saturn V (all engines)

BA-2

BA-8

BBCV

K-170

Kopo

KX-405

LV Engines (all)

The Munar modules

Commodore

Linear RCS

Larger Airbrake

The OMS (orbital maneuvering system)

6 Way adapter

90 degree turn

Both hex and triangle structural panels

XX-MTV (ALL)

Conformal Rocket Cone

Elvons (all)

Wings (all)

Duna Class

Airbags

Lacuga

XM-600

XM-800

@ultrasquid,

Damn, well I'm afraid that's everything I can do on my end (as far as I know), it is a case of other mods breaking this one. I don't have any OSX computers, so can't test it on my end either. Can you get by using -force-opengl. And you definitely deleted the textureCache (this is a bit of guess work for me, I don't know the inner workings of ATM).

@stali79,

I assume you're using ATM (it seems to work fine for some, not for others). Afraid there's really not much I can do about that really, have you tried what I recommended to ultrasquid? I think that somewhere in ATM's processes it's stopping the texture loader from accessing the textures, if my parts are being prevented from accessing a texture, it can't load that texture.

There is this option in the ATM config

###  Offload the texture from RAM into Graphics memory.
### this will mean the textures cannot be sampled by
### the scripts, but saves a LOT of memory. MBMs are
### not readable by default.
make_not_readable = true

I wonder if switching this to false would work.

KSC++ is been completely overhauled, so those'll be included, I haven't got a computer that'll run KSP at the moment (building a new one when the parts arrive) but I should have a few screenshots somewhere in my emails, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Only some from blender

http://i.imgur.com/T2EO4yG.png

Is this ever going to get to us? I really liked KSC++ but always felt it lacked (badum tiss) something.

Edited by RobotsAndSpaceships

OK, now I'm realizing this might be my own fault. I removed a bunch of the stock Squad parts, the idea being to save memory by replacing the tanks and wings with procedural parts. But, if you're accessing those stock textures, it's entirely likely that I deleted some of them, which would cause the results I'm seeing. I'm restoring the Squad parts now and I'll let you know the results.

I had assumed Mac and Linux use OpenGL by default, as DirectX is a proprietary Windows library.

EDIT: Restoring the Squad parts solved most of the problem, bringing back the color to many of your parts, but there are still a few showing up pink:

sgq4g5.png

Edited by ultrasquid
test results

OK, now I'm realizing this might be my own fault. I removed a bunch of the stock Squad parts, the idea being to save memory by replacing the tanks and wings with procedural parts. But, if you're accessing those stock textures, it's entirely likely that I deleted some of them, which would cause the results I'm seeing. I'm restoring the Squad parts now and I'll let you know the results.

I had assumed Mac and Linux use OpenGL by default, as DirectX is a proprietary Windows library.

Yeah, that's probably it then. Hope it works!

I don't really know a great deal about Macs if I'm honest (the last time I used a mac they looked like this), I thought I'd read something about even people on macs getting a benefit, but going over it, I'd mis-read it.

Edit: The one's I can see seem to be files in the NASAmission folder (you can open the part's .cfg and it'll say which textures it's using), did you restore those as well?

@stali79,

Let me know if it works.

@RobotsAndSpaceships,

It's next in line, but it'll take time. I'm going to have to re-do all the buildings, the way the current texture map is set up isn't working and just swells the poly-count un-necessarily making it slow to run in Blender and very frustrating to work with, the camera tools don't help either (I'm going to have to have one colour tile in each texture, so the grey and then a brown one, then scale the UV map accordingly. Then a separate one for all the details like windows).

Edited by Lack

I made the changes you recommended and the parts still look the same for me. Could it be a Mac thing?

No. I'm on a Mac as well and SXT has absolutely no compatibility issues.

That being said, I can help you troubleshoot the SXT+ATM behavior. Are you using the Steam version of KSP?

@ultrasquid,

Damn, well I'm afraid that's everything I can do on my end (as far as I know), it is a case of other mods breaking this one. I don't have any OSX computers, so can't test it on my end either. Can you get by using -force-opengl. And you definitely deleted the textureCache (this is a bit of guess work for me, I don't know the inner workings of ATM).

Lack, for future reference the Mac client uses OpenGL so this is unnecessary. I'm on OS X Yosemite 10.10 and both ATM aggressive and ATM basic seem to work without problems with SXT.

Would it help if I made an ATM config file for SXT and wrote up instructions for SXT users on where to place the file within ATM's configs folder?

stali79, Are you also on a Mac?

No. I'm on a Mac as well and SXT has absolutely no compatibility issues.

That being said, I can help you troubleshoot the SXT+ATM behavior. Are you using the Steam version of KSP?

Lack, for future reference the Mac client uses OpenGL so this is unnecessary. I'm on OS X Yosemite 10.10 and both ATM aggressive and ATM basic seem to work without problems with SXT.

Would it help if I made an ATM config file for SXT and wrote up instructions for SXT users on where to place the file within ATM's configs folder?

stali79, Are you also on a Mac?

Thanks, I put a 'patch' in the OP's FAQ with some instructions yesterday. You could check if that's correct, I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to add.

Thanks, I put a 'patch' in the OP's FAQ with some instructions yesterday. You could check if that's correct, I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to add.

I took a look at your patch. Disabling ATM for SXT is really the simplest and best solution. i.e. your config file should work.

A couple of extra instructions for Mac users:

1. Only use the x86 versions of ATM.

2. Place Lack's patch file in Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs

You can find that directory (folder) by ctrl+clicking the KSP icon or shortcut, then scrolling to options, then show in finder.

3. Move the following directory to the trash while KSP is closed: Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/textureCache/SXT

Nice, I'd bet with a bit of tweaking you could get it to fly in FAR as well (well, take-off, might not be too controllable).

So far I was able to make one small plane in FAR that was also controllable. For now I'll stick to the soup. :D

Whatever, I brought another set of screenshots with me. Got around building a plane using the tilt-nose cockpit and the first test without any gadgets like air-brakes and stuff went so well that I extended the flight a bit. Okay, the landing was a bit rough but everyone survived. Doesn't she look beautiful?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sorry for posting so many screenshots...

Edit: The one's I can see seem to be files in the NASAmission folder (you can open the part's .cfg and it'll say which textures it's using), did you restore those as well?

Oh, no, I did not. I will correct that right away.

@CrisK: I'm running KSP from the download page, not Steam, on an old iMac (not as old as Lack's) with OSX 10.6.8. Apart from memory issues and having to crank the graphics settings all the way down, it performs admirably.

Oh, no, I did not. I will correct that right away.

@CrisK: I'm running KSP from the download page, not Steam, on an old iMac (not as old as Lack's) with OSX 10.6.8. Apart from memory issues and having to crank the graphics settings all the way down, it performs admirably.

Okay, the easiest way to guarantee a fix would be to:

1. Delete the Squad and NASAmission directories from your GameData directory.

2. Delete the Squad and NASAmission directories from your GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/textureCache directory.

3. Highlight all of the folders in the GameData directory. Temporarily move them to your desktop.

4. Reinstall KSP so that you have a fresh GameData directory.

5. Move the files on your desktop back into the GameData directory. If you've done this right then you should NOT see any warnings or messages from Finder. If Finder asks you to Replace, Copy, or Duplicate then you have duplicate files somewhere. Copy each one of the plugins into the GameData directory until you find the culprit.

If you want to be extra safe:

6. Delete the ActiveTextureManagement folder in your GameData folder.

7. Download and install the the latest x86-Basic-Release from ATM's GitHub page.

Also, if you really want to improve performance on your iMac try running KSP in windowed mode at a lower resolution. You'll be able to use higher graphical settings and it'll use less overall memory.

Just got in from work and had a thought. I have been using the x64 Agressive ATM. Maybe I should try both the x86 basic and agressive ones.. I always assumed x64 was for 64bit hence why I got it and there seems to be confusion on which version people should use.

Edited by stali79

@ultrasquid,

@stali79,

I assume you're using ATM (it seems to work fine for some, not for others). Afraid there's really not much I can do about that really, have you tried what I recommended to ultrasquid? I think that somewhere in ATM's processes it's stopping the texture loader from accessing the textures, if my parts are being prevented from accessing a texture, it can't load that texture.

There is this option in the ATM config

###  Offload the texture from RAM into Graphics memory.
### this will mean the textures cannot be sampled by
### the scripts, but saves a LOT of memory. MBMs are
### not readable by default.
make_not_readable = true

I wonder if switching this to false would work.

Had a look, appears most cfg files have it set to false. ATM x86 Basic caused crashes, Agressive worked fine but your parts were still red and black (the munar excursion module has the main body's textures fine but no rcs textures)