[1.1] SXT - Lack's Stock Extension [SXT-25-10APR16] - Basic 1.1 compatibilty

Lack

1 minute ago, Svm420 said:

@Stone Blue BD armory

LOL...Thanx... I figured as much...I just downloaded it a couple minutes before you posted... Now I'm gonna have to reverse engineer it, AND the whole camera/targeting interface... This may or may not save me bunches of time and work on a part I'm making... lol

1 hour ago, Lack said:

I removed it (in the basic SXT it'll swap it for Porkjet's one). However, I've made a separate patch that'll bring it back.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXTMk3Mk2Ramp.zip

I've added the deployment limiter to it as well. It's a bit of a shame, but it had a number of bugs. It was also one of those parts that refused to work with the the texture-replacer bit of the part-loader, so it had to have it's own copies of the textures in the folder. The extra RAM from removing it seemed worth it.

@minepagan

Very nice. Glad to see it getting some use. I've been wondering if it'd be possible to get props to spawn out of IVA mode, else I could model some static ones in.

@CrisK

Thanks. The heli and the Spectre are really nice as well. Not sure I fancy being that kerbal on the ladder, mind.

@Aivoh

No problem. I fixed most of the things you PM'd be about (the forum emailed me it, actually one of the reasons I came back to check on things).

@Phineas Freak,

That'd be great, thanks. I always like having people help out, takes a bit of the load off. Still need to fix LLL up actually, perhaps I'll fiddle with it a bit over Christmas.

"a number of bugs" is a biiit of a understatement: om7Eqq4.png although, this IS the outdated, non-patched version from the dropbox link, i just saw it in the mini-parts thingy, so yeah. although, how does one part even become THAT buggy? ill try the patched one from the dropbox link though. thanks :)

edit: huh, i still seem to get the same bug. you install the files from the dropbox link, by simply merging the 2 oldparts folders together, right? replacing whatever is there with the contents of the zip file?

Edited by 123nick

@123nick

Essentially, yes. Though if you've used pre-1.0 one from the OP, you'll need to delete that one first since the folders have moved. (So delete the one under SXT/Parts/Mk3/ or whatever it was under). The newer one is designed to run off a normal SXT folder (where the ramp is normally disabled and a replacer config put in that swapped it out for the new ramp in any existing craft), so should be in SXT/OldParts/.

It loads fine for me anyway.

Edit:

Has anyone noticed any issues with the MEM. Someone's been having problems with it (and other command pods with integrating engines) automatically activating when they launch the ship. Not something I was able to replicate on my end using the 32-bit on XP or win8, they were running 64bit on Linux.

Edited by Lack

Hi Lack - awesome mod!

I had a question about the MEM.. I installed SXT over an existing career, and I can't see the MEM anywhere. It hasn't been slotted into a node I've already unlocked (ie I don't have it available in the VAB), and I looked at every node I haven't yet unlocked and it's not in any of them. Is this because I installed it as I was halfway through a career? If I open up sandbox (also a pre-existing save) I can use it.

Also, in sandbox where I have every part, it has the MEM ascent stage, but I couldn't find a piece that is the descent stage. Is it just build-your-own for that part?

Thanks again for an amazing mod and the huge amount of work it must have been :)

Edited by Goody1981
written on phone, looked horrible

On 12/12/2015, 4:35:18, Lack said:

@123nick

Essentially, yes. Though if you've used pre-1.0 one from the OP, you'll need to delete that one first since the folders have moved. (So delete the one under SXT/Parts/Mk3/ or whatever it was under). The newer one is designed to run off a normal SXT folder (where the ramp is normally disabled and a replacer config put in that swapped it out for the new ramp in any existing craft), so should be in SXT/OldParts/.

It loads fine for me anyway.

Edit:

Has anyone noticed any issues with the MEM. Someone's been having problems with it (and other command pods with integrating engines) automatically activating when they launch the ship. Not something I was able to replicate on my end using the 32-bit on XP or win8, they were running 64bit on Linux.

turns out the MLR does work, i think the old one was installed when i thought i had the new one installed.

7 hours ago, Goody1981 said:

Also, in sandbox where I have every part, it has the MEM ascent stage, but I couldn't find a piece that is the descent stage. Is it just build-your-own for that part?

Its in the Engine category... Called Munar Descent Stage... Gold colored, with thin tubular legs sticking UP from all 4 corners...

And @Lack, I'm on 1.0.5 in Linux, and I just launched the MEM by itself on the pad, and everything seems fine... Engines on both the Asc. & Desc. stages were shutdown... Kinda disappointing to activate either at full throttle, and not have anything go flying into the air....The MEM didnt even give a tiny wobble...lol

Granted i didnt give it a full shake-down, tho...

6 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Its in the Engine category... Called Munar Descent Stage... Gold colored, with thin tubular legs sticking UP from all 4 corners...

And @Lack, I'm on 1.0.5 in Linux, and I just launched the MEM by itself on the pad, and everything seems fine... Engines on both the Asc. & Desc. stages were shutdown... Kinda disappointing to activate either at full throttle, and not have anything go flying into the air....The MEM didnt even give a tiny wobble...lol

Granted i didnt give it a full shake-down, tho...

I already solved this problem. It had to do with me adding a LS converter mm patch to the ascent module. Something to do with integrated engines and adding anything that's converter related triggering the engine on before launch on stage. There is a work around for it from what I read, but I just went ahead and deleted the file and find other means to extend life support functions. Didn't think about actually adding this information to the thread, but the issue is now resolved. Thank you for your help, sir! :) 

On 12/12/2015, 10:14:45, Lack said:

@Phineas Freak,

That'd be great, thanks. I always like having people help out, takes a bit of the load off. Still need to fix LLL up actually, perhaps I'll fiddle with it a bit over Christmas.

OK, i created the PR but it seems like Travis is complaining for something. Not sure if it an issue on my end or an issue with the Travis CI.

not too sure if you already know this Lack but the control surface for the "small fold wing" goes clockwise instead of angling up and down :P

also i found the M.E.M. (Muner Escape Module) on linux to not misbehave on launch, might be a mod conflict.

p.s. i really need to get into modding... i want to be better help than just "oh hey this isn't pointing the right way"

28 minutes ago, AntiMatter001 said:

p.s. i really need to get into modding... i want to be better help than just "oh hey this isn't pointing the right way"

@AntiMatter001
Actually, thats exactly the way I got interested in giving it a try... I had never made a 3D model in my life, or edited, or created any .cfg files before frequenting the KSP forums... (Granted I've only done a couple actual models so far...)

Edited by Stone Blue

@Goody1981

Thanks. Heh, it's certainly been a fair amount of work. I think they should be under 'largeControl' for the tech-tree. Though I should probably check if that's been depreciated, there's been a few nodes in the past where that's happened.

@minepagan

Not a bad shout, I'll see about adding it in.

@123nick

Glad to hear it's working for you now.

@Phineas Freak

Yeah, I'd been playing around with travis-CI to see if I could have it autobuild a .zip and upload it to Kerbalstuff when I make a release. Though I didn't get very far with it, so it'll be an issue on my end. Merged it anyway, thanks.

@AntiMatter001

Yeah, I need to fix that. It comes from FAR and stock handling orientations a bit differently, I tested the part with FAR, so missed it at the time. It also puts the lift force at the wrong place in stock.

I would definitely recommend trying modding, it's rather fun.

9 hours ago, Lack said:

@Goody1981

Thanks. Heh, it's certainly been a fair amount of work. I think they should be under 'largeControl' for the tech-tree. Though I should probably check if that's been depreciated, there's been a few nodes in the past where that's happened.

What does it mean if it's been "depreciated"? It definitely isn't anywhere in my tech tree (I looked like 5 times - seriously can't wait to play around with that part!).

Thanks again :)

Yes, it's under largeControl, but as of Oct 26th 2015, I don't see it in this tech tree. 

Wiki Tech Tree

Might have to change it to space exploration or something in the tech tree. I had changed to start to play with it on career mode, but I use CTT so I may need to look and see where it would be feasible to place this technology at. 

Thanks Lynwood - but isn't that just the stock tech tree? Since this is a mod part I wouldn't expect it to show up there necessarily.. :)

My specific problem is that I have the part in sandbox, but in my career it is neither unlocked, nor is it located in any node I have yet to unlock (you know when you click on them to see what's in them when you're deciding how to spend your precious science). 

Could it be that some files didn't copy properly?

7 hours ago, Goody1981 said:

What does it mean if it's been "depreciated"? It definitely isn't anywhere in my tech tree (I looked like 5 times - seriously can't wait to play around with that part!).

Thanks again :)

Basically, it used to be a node in the stock tech-tree (same one that the Mk1-2 pod was under), but Squad have since removed it. Either it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, or I missed it at the time. Seems to have been replaced by commandModules. I'll have to go through and check what techtree nodes need updating, I haven't used Career mode very much.

If you go to GameData/SXT/Parts/Command/MEM/  you can change in the .cfg files (use Notepad or the likes to open) 'TechRequired = largeControl' to 'TechRequired = commandModules'

Then they should appear in the same one as the Mk1-2 pod.

Edited by Lack

54 minutes ago, Lack said:

Basically, it used to be a node in the stock tech-tree (same one that the Mk1-2 pod was under), but Squad have since removed it. Either it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, or I missed it at the time. Seems to have been replaced by commandModules. I'll have to go through and check what techtree nodes need updating, I haven't used Career mode very much.

If you go to GameData/SXT/Parts/Command/MEM/  you can change in the .cfg files (use Notepad or the likes to open) 'TechRequired = largeControl' to 'TechRequired = commandModules'

Then they should appear in the same one as the Mk1-2 pod.

Ahh awesome!! Thanks so much mate :)

4 hours ago, lynwoodm said:

Yes, it's under largeControl, but as of Oct 26th 2015, I don't see it in this tech tree. 

Wiki Tech Tree

Might have to change it to space exploration or something in the tech tree. I had changed to start to play with it on career mode, but I use CTT so I may need to look and see where it would be feasible to place this technology at. 

Duhh... And now (thanks to Lack's explanation) I get what you were saying. Sorry!

Was looking at the tech-tree integration for SXT, seems it's needs just a little bit of an overhaul. Things like engines and fuel-tanks being moved to separate lines completely passed me by. I've done a little bit of moving things around so far (see latest commit to github), so if anyone has any ideas feel free to say/make pull requests.

I was considering moving the trucks forwards in the tech-tree, and moving some basic light plane parts to the start node so you actually have a reason for the airstrip at the start. Need to check some of the old 'experimental' nodes since I found most of the 5m tanks just weren't in the tech-tree at all any more.

Edited by Lack

I think I changed something or other, I really should sit down and update the mini-packs, another thing for the Christmas holidays; I'm off work next week with not much else to do other than start quantifying and analysing the pile of data I've accumulated.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to have github/travis-CI automatically sort out some .zip files for them whenever I make a build. I installed t-Ci and tried looking through a configs other people had made for their mods, but it's all Greek to me, I'm afraid.

@nosefirsteverytime

Yeah, I'm not sure about moving them forwards of any of the rover parts, but they're quite nice to have and it makes sense to have at least some sort of ground-based vehicle. Perhaps a combustion one of sorts, that'd help prevent against extra-planetary usage.

Edited by Lack

Inspired by @hoojiwana's excellent overhaul of the stock RAPIER. I've tried my hand at a 2.5m RAPIER Engine (LANCER).

The variable geometry intake is pretty much on a timer. I wanted it to run off of heat (a sloppy replacement for Mach number, which B9 does do, but I'm trying to avoid extra modules), but that didn't seem to work. If anyone has any ideas, please do say.

There's a version for testing on the Github page. First image in the album isn't loading at the moment, so here's a direct link http://i.imgur.com/u64L36B.png

Edited by Lack

4 hours ago, Lack said:

Inspired by @hoojiwana's excellent overhaul of the stock RAPIER. I've tried my hand at a 2.5m RAPIER Engine (LANCER).

The variable geometry intake is pretty much on a timer. I wanted it to run off of heat (a sloppy replacement for Mach number, which B9 does do, but I'm trying to avoid extra modules), but that didn't seem to work. If anyone has any ideas, please do say.

Nice work :cool:

I would have expected heat to work reasonably, but maybe there are just too many other factors influencing it?  There is a Firespitter animated intake module, but it can only set position as a function of flow, so I don't know if it could be properly adapted to work here.

Feel free to add B9AnimationModules if you so choose though (B9 used to use KineTechAnimation, but no one was maintaining that and I wanted some custom stuff so I wrote B9AnimationModules).  ModuleB9AnimateIntake allows you to define a simple animation time vs mach curve and a separate animation state for when the intake is closed.

This mod needs an Osaul tail-ramp with the same cross-section as the Osaul nose (that is to say, the "radial hump" built into it, to provide somewhere to attach tailplane surfaces to).

Edited by StevieC
Re-worded my post to clarify