[1.1] SXT - Lack's Stock Extension [SXT-25-10APR16] - Basic 1.1 compatibilty

Lack

18 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

@Lack, you did notice the abbrevation of this mod is frighteningly close to the word "sext?" As in; sexting? Google the definition of it and you'll see what it means. Don't blame me if you see gross stuff :P

People will twist anything into something bad. Really doesn't matter what you call it. But you're the first person I've seen make that connection. So where is your head at?

By head I mean that round thing on your shoulders. See what I mean....

@Lack I've got a suggestion: add skewed elevons to use as ailerons with your new wings. I currently use them only for flaps because the anti-shock bodies placed on them define their orientation on the wing quite specifically.

hello, so I have a problem when loading up ksp with sxt stock extention installed, it get's stuck Here but I don't loose responce from the game (I have waited a good 30 minutes and it was still stuck there). When I delete the Mk3 folder from Gamedata/SXT/parts/command folder it works perfectly normal. I have tried verifing game cache which didn't work. If you could help me fix it that would be awesome.

Regards UM

50 minutes ago, UMGaming said:

hello, so I have a problem when loading up ksp with sxt stock extention installed, it get's stuck Here but I don't loose responce from the game (I have waited a good 30 minutes and it was still stuck there). When I delete the Mk3 folder from Gamedata/SXT/parts/command folder it works perfectly normal. I have tried verifing game cache which didn't work. If you could help me fix it that would be awesome.

Regards UM

1. Welcome to the forums :D
  2. The best way to debug the problem would be for you to post your output logs after waiting for KSP to get to that point and then stopping (and force quitting).  Instructions on how to do that are in the first link in my signature.

@UMGaming

Ah, I see where I've been going wrong with that part now. I forgot to copy over all of the files to the github version. You can fix it on your end and I should have some time over the weekend (been a busy few weeks).

go to SXT/Parts/Command/Mk3Cockpit/

Make a copy of Mk3CockpitShuttle.dds and rename the copy Mk3Fuselage.dds

Should work then.

I'll answer the rest of the comments tomorrow hopefully.

@maybach123

Thanks for pointing it out, there'll be a new craft file coming in the next version

e0uERYF.png

@V8jester

I was planning on keeping it as a external command chair, it amuses me too much when they fall out (even if that is a bit bug prone).

@m4ti140

Thanks. I've buffed the passenger cabins slightly with a weight reduction, reducing by 1t for the longer one, and 0.5t for the short one. Though they're not that much smaller than their Mk3 equivalent; the long 'Economy' version is not as wide, but longer and with similar crew capacities. If I reduce it too much then the tonne per Kerbal becomes too unbalanced. The cabin is certainly too heavy (I think it was balanced a few versions ago, but I hadn't checked the weights of comparable parts recently). I'll be lowering that to 2.75t to be in-line with KAX.

The skewed elevons are a good idea. I'm half tempted to make separate articulated shock-bodies to provide even more freedom.

@Kolago

Seen an hopefully dealt with.

@AJTheMighty

XphsGDX.png

@Ackoli

Thanks! I might add another one. I quite like the electric aero engine reflecting the ion/chemical of the rocket parts. Plus, you can actually do quite a bit with that small amount of thrust. But one a bit more like the G4 or Siemens' new fancy electric motor mightn't go amiss.

@maybach123

You can get the latest build (with the An225 craft file via github. https://github.com/Signatum/SXT/archive/master.zip)

Not sure when a proper update will be out, I'm pretty busy this week and then away for a conference after that.

I  made a nice fancy VTOL engine with a nice option to swap a Mk2 adapter in/out, but it makes the part really laggy and prone to spontaneous disassembly. I guess it'll have to stay as two parts.

I couldn't figure out the variable geometry nozzle (without splitting it up into a dozen parts). Does anyone know how Porkjet managed it. Blender-based animation?

Edited by Lack

7 minutes ago, Lack said:

I couldn't figure out the variable geometry nozzle (without splitting it up into a dozen parts). Does anyone know how Porkjet managed it. Blender-based animation?

It's a skeletal animation, yeah.  The basic idea is that certain vertices are attached to bones, which move during the animation.

14 hours ago, blowfish said:

It's a skeletal animation, yeah.  The basic idea is that certain vertices are attached to bones, which move during the animation.

@maybach123

Thanks! I'll have to give that a go, haven't played around with bones in blender before.

Part of me is wondering if I should consider resizing the An225 parts to 5m when 1.1 comes out. The whole .64 scale works out nicely at 5m and the Mk3 have the 3.75m parts covered quite nicely. Might try an optional config.

Edit: Yep, this was a 140t of good idea.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/subpacks/Osual5m.zip

Edited by Lack

On 23/01/2016 at 4:15 PM, Lack said:

@maybach123

Thanks for pointing it out, there'll be a new craft file coming in the next version

e0uERYF.png

OH KRAKEN, where did you get those clouds from? Those don't look like EVE.

As for masses, thanks for listening. The stock Mk3 passenger cabins are actually way too heavy as well, considering their capacity. It almost looks like it already accounts for the mass of Kerbals, and the way they're constructed one would expect them to carry fuel/provide cargo space/be double-deck. If it was empty weight, it would rather fit 5m real life equivalents, while yours fits 3.5-4m. I know stock parts are in general supposed to be heavier then IRL, but while it is merely a correction for lower orbital speeds regarding rocket balance it makes aircraft unnecessarily hard, as it significantly rises the airspeeds aircraft operate at. This is especially apparent with FAR, as it simulates stall. 

Speaking of which, It would also be cool to see 3.75 and 5m passenger cabins in the future, especially 3.75 as we already have a cockpit, which could be complemented by passenger higher deck. At Kerbal scale those would be equivalent to 747 and something ridiculous (tm) respectively :P

23 hours ago, Lack said:

@maybach123

Thanks! I'll have to give that a go, haven't played around with bones in blender before.

Part of me is wondering if I should consider resizing the An225 parts to 5m when 1.1 comes out. The whole .64 scale works out nicely at 5m and the Mk3 have the 3.75m parts covered quite nicely. Might try an optional config.

Edit: Yep, this was a 140t of good idea.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/subpacks/Osual5m.zip

If you're going to do that, could you add a MK3 nose ramp, and an Osul tail ramp? pretty please?

a couple of your parts have TechRequired = largeControl, which as far as i can discover, doesn't exist anymore or possibly has been renamed to specialzedControl.

to fix this i've done:

@PART[*]:HAS[#TechRequired[largeControl]]
{
	@TechRequired = specializedControl
}

which also fixes some parts in another mod which weren't showing up in the VAB for the same reason.

the SXT parts affected are LSmallSvcMod, MEMLander, SXTRCSRack, RCSBoonExt, SXTLander and LSVCM3.

@speedwaystar

Thanks! That'll be going in the next version. I've moved a few of those parts to Space Command and Command Modules as well.

@m4ti140

That may be photoshop, sorry (I got a bit bored). It'd be nice if they did look like that though. 3.75m parts have been attempted before, but I've had problems with the face-smoothing from the windows so always abandoned them.

@minepagan

If I do, a front-loading Mk3 is definitely on the cards. The cargo tail may come later on. But I might just leave it as an optional config for now.

--==--

Actually, I've been thinking about how to split SXT up for CKAN. I'd originally imagined SXT as an 'Expansion pack' style affair, but it covers far too much now and really puts a lot of people off, I think.

I was thinking:

SXT-Core (The internal workings of the mod).

SXT-Aviation (The aviation related parts obviously. Should the Osual parts be seperate?).

SXT-Rocketry (Engines, Fuel tanks, a few command pods).

SXT-Probes (Probe and science parts).

SXT-Stations (Things like airlocks, solar panels, hab pods and the likes)

SXT-Super Launchers (5m and N1 parts).

SXT-Trucks

SXT-Airbags (Airbags, floats perhaps. Small, but seem to be quite a popular bit to have split off).

But not everything nicely fits into these things, and even the above is quite a few categories spamming up the CKAN list.

Anyways, some screenshots from messing around.

Edited by Lack

16 hours ago, Lack said:

@speedwaystar

Thanks! That'll be going in the next version. I've moved a few of those parts to Space Command and Command Modules as well.

@m4ti140

That may be photoshop, sorry (I got a bit bored). It'd be nice if they did look like that though. 3.75m parts have been attempted before, but I've had problems with the face-smoothing from the windows so always abandoned them.

@minepagan

If I do, a front-loading Mk3 is definitely on the cards. The cargo tail may come later on. But I might just leave it as an optional config for now.

--==--

Actually, I've been thinking about how to split SXT up for CKAN. I'd originally imagined SXT as an 'Expansion pack' style affair, but it covers far too much now and really puts a lot of people off, I think.

I was thinking:

SXT-Aviation (The aviation related parts obviously. Should the Osual parts be seperate?).

SXT-Rocketry (Engines, Fuel tanks, a few command pods).

SXT-Probes (Probe and science parts).

SXT-Stations (Things like airlocks, solar panels, hab pods and the likes)

SXT-Super Launchers (5m and N1 parts).

SXT-Trucks

SXT-Airbags (Airbags, floats perhaps. Small, but seem to be quite a popular bit to have split off).

But not everything nicely fits into these things, and even the above is quite a few categories spamming up the CKAN list.

Anyways, some screenshots from messing around.

Could you post a .craft? i tried replicating that plane but my COL/COM balance seems a bit off:

LMYnn49.jpg

18 hours ago, Lack said:

I was thinking:

This would be essential to play GAP Aircraft Contracts. Especially as it will support SXT in return. This is an excellent contract pack that puts in a reason to have aircraft first.  It really is the National Aeronautics in NASA :lol:

@kaue4arp10

Yeah, no problem. I made it using the 5m Osual patch in my post above, so you'll need that for it work properly I think.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/Flying%20Wing.craft

It's a bit prone to side-slip currently and the landings are quite rough.

@nobodyhasthis2

Yep, I'm a big fan of GAP. That reorganisation will be coming around when KSP1.1 arrives, I'd be tempted to do it now but I'm not totally certain how CKAN works with deleting folders and files now. I seem to recall that it was just overwriting the mod's folder with a new copy when an update was installed, which could cause problems.

In the mean time, there's a separate link with the prop/jet engines and a few of the aero-parts in the OP.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/subpacks/Newer/SXTPropsandPlanes.zip

Hey Lack, I just noticed that if you pick the propellers pack there are two textures which reference SXT/OldAssets/ and since that folder does not exist on this version the parts end up with black textures.

The parts are the Ke-111 "Kondor" cockpit, the KO-055 "Continental" engine and the tail connector.