[1.1] SXT - Lack's Stock Extension [SXT-25-10APR16] - Basic 1.1 compatibilty

Lack

A small thing to report: the small 5m decoupler and the 5m K2 engine set (Saturn 2nd stage) seem quite wobbly compared to the rest, even when struted to death. Node problem?

Anyway, thanks Lack and the others for your work!

Hmm, doesn't seem to be anything noticeably wrong with the configs. For the short-decoupler, by guess would be that it's since the nodes aren't very far apart. It was a problem pre 0.90, then was fine, but I guess Squad must have changed something under the hood. Or perhaps defining node size isn't enough. I may need to add the bulkhead profile for them.

@MightyDarkStar,

There's one in the works. But it's a complex part/interior, so I wouldn't expect it too soon (I did also lose it for a while, but I found some files on my google drive that look like the right ones).

There's one in the works. But it's a complex part/interior, so I wouldn't expect it too soon (I did also lose it for a while, but I found some files on my google drive that look like the right ones).

Can we get a preview any time soon :P Will there be a fuselage as well? I can't get it to work with tweakscale for 1m parts...it's kinda irritating.

Can we get a preview any time soon :P Will there be a fuselage as well? I can't get it to work with tweakscale for 1m parts...it's kinda irritating.

It's not quite in a fit state to show yet :/ The base fuselage is 0.625m (fits the kerbal in the same way a real Spitfire does a human), but I'm planning on making some nice 0.625m plane fuselage parts and fixing the textures on the current ones.

Though this may not be till September time, since I'll be on holiday most of August. Actually, anyone have suggestions for things to do in Toronto and around Vancouver?

Also, I've uploaded testing versions of the R2800 and NK12M, if you use 'Download Zip' from this page, then you'll get a copy with them in.

https://github.com/Signatum/SXT

The NK12M's props aren't actually contra-rotating, however (not sure if Firespitter can do that), and a new propBlur texture is needed for the 4 bladed design. I also haven't got proper curves for the turbo-prop, they're identical to the r2800 currently.

@TheJewelofJool,

Yes, should be.

I'm 90% sure that having two FSPlanePropellerSpinner modules will work fine, and setting their rotation speeds opposite (or having the transforms point in opposite directions) will give a contra-rotating effect.

I'm 90% sure that having two FSPlanePropellerSpinner modules will work fine, and setting their rotation speeds opposite (or having the transforms point in opposite directions) will give a contra-rotating effect.

Thanks, I'll try it later on.

I can't click on the airbag on VAB or SPH ... help

Did you get SXT from Github or Kerbalstuff? There should be a fix in the github version (The Kerbalstuff version is lagging an update or two behind currently).

Though this may not be till September time, since I'll be on holiday most of August. Actually, anyone have suggestions for things to do in Toronto and around Vancouver?

Haven't been to Toronto since I was a kid, but recently visited Vancouver once - it was for business so I didn't have a lot of free time but renting a bike and bicycling thru/around Stanley Park was a joy - especially as a Stargate SG-1 fan. I didn't recognize anything specific but the "feel" of the place made me remember this is where they shot a lot of stuff. Wish I had thought of that ahead of time I could have gone location spotting...

Haven't been to Toronto since I was a kid, but recently visited Vancouver once - it was for business so I didn't have a lot of free time but renting a bike and bicycling thru/around Stanley Park was a joy - especially as a Stargate SG-1 fan. I didn't recognize anything specific but the "feel" of the place made me remember this is where they shot a lot of stuff. Wish I had thought of that ahead of time I could have gone location spotting...

Thanks, printed myself off a map for it (I'd always assumed it was a US show). Actually, I was watching Continuum the other day, and recognised one of the sets in it from Stargate as well.

@ MaverickSawyer,

Not sure, I don't think it's that different from the regular stock decouplers even.

Also, released version 21.

Changes:

Engines balanced to KSP 1.0+ values+attributes and given nick-names

New prop engines (Powerful turboprop (NK-12M) and radial engine PW R-2800).

Existing prop engine's efficiency balanced to match real-world fuel consumption (roughly, based off provided values of fuel consumption, converted into kg using gasoline's density and then into Liquid Fuel units) and fuel requirements at maximum throttle per hour flight listed in description

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I couldn't get the NK12M to work as a contra-rotating one without having it as two parts; when I added 2 FSplanePropellerSpinner the game stuck on loading.

Here's the .mu if anyone else wants to try: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/k12M.mu

transform names in the file:

propHub, propBlur, blade1, blade2, blade3, blade4

propHub1, propBlur1, blade5, blade6, blade7, blade8

Edited by Lack

Found a bug in the .cfg file 3-75-0.cfg in the "Tsar" folder. In the "asset paramaters" part, it says "scale = 2, 2, 2" when it should be "scale = 1,1,1" instead.

Also, the 3.75m K1 decoupler has its manufacturer listed as LLL instead of Kerbalyov Design Bureau. And a few other parts have their manufacturer listed as KDB instead of the full Kerbalyov Design Bureau, meaning they don't show up in the latter's tab when you're browsing parts by manufacturer.

Edited by StevieC
Forgot to mention a few other things that needed fixing

Found a bug in the .cfg file 3-75-0.cfg in the "Tsar" folder. In the "asset paramaters" part, it says "scale = 2, 2, 2" when it should be "scale = 1,1,1" instead.

Also, the 3.75m K1 decoupler has its manufacturer listed as LLL instead of Kerbalyov Design Bureau. And a few other parts have their manufacturer listed as KDB instead of the full Kerbalyov Design Bureau, meaning they don't show up in the latter's tab when you're browsing parts by manufacturer.

The part in 3-75-0.cfg was retired a while back (hence, the 'category = -1' and the technodes being tabbed out. The config was kept so not to break anyone's vessels already in flight), I'm mildly surprised you found it.

Ahh. Well, there's still the matter of the grid-fins needing their manufacturer name changed from the abbreviation "KDB" to "Kerbalyov Design Bureau" and the 3.75 K1 decoupler needing its manufacturer name changed from "LLL" to "Kerbalyov Design Bureau" (no offense or nitpicking intended, merely asking that they show up in the "Kerbalyov Design Bureau" category when picked whilst browsing parts by manufacturer). Also a suggestion: For the Osaul nose, maybe you could add a 3.75m to Mk3 adaptor that's hollow (the stock one isn't, making it split the cargo-space in twain), so that existing Mk3 tailcone/ramp combos can be attached, to allow a straight-through cargo bay with ramps on both ends?

With respect to contra-rotating props, I'd been fiddling with RetroFuture parts and there's one with contra-rotating props that DOES work. This is from its config re: the FSplanePropellerSpinner bits:

MODULE //---- forward blades

{

name = FSplanePropellerSpinner

propellerName = tailMountProps1

rotationSpeed = -250

thrustRPM = -400

windmillRPM = 0.1

windmillMinAirspeed = 30

spinUpTime = 3.4

useRotorDiscSwap = 1

rotorDiscName = tailMountDisc1

rotorDiscFadeInStart = 0.52

rotorDiscSpeed = -25

blade1 = tailMountBlades1

}

MODULE //---- aft blades

{

propellerName = tailMountProps2

rotationSpeed = 250

thrustRPM = 400

windmillRPM = 0.1

windmillMinAirspeed = 30

spinUpTime = 3.5

useRotorDiscSwap = 1

rotorDiscName = tailMountDisc2

rotorDiscSpeed = 26

blade2 = tailMountBlades2

}

I couldn't get the NK12M to work as a contra-rotating one without having it as two parts; when I added 2 FSplanePropellerSpinner the game stuck on loading.

Like AccidentalDissassembly said, this should work, so I think it's worth investigating what exactly the error is. It should show pretty clearly in the log.

Ahh. Well, there's still the matter of the grid-fins needing their manufacturer name changed from the abbreviation "KDB" to "Kerbalyov Design Bureau" and the 3.75 K1 decoupler needing its manufacturer name changed from "LLL" to "Kerbalyov Design Bureau" (no offense or nitpicking intended, merely asking that they show up in the "Kerbalyov Design Bureau" category when picked whilst browsing parts by manufacturer). Also a suggestion: For the Osaul nose, maybe you could add a 3.75m to Mk3 adaptor that's hollow (the stock one isn't, making it split the cargo-space in twain), so that existing Mk3 tailcone/ramp combos can be attached, to allow a straight-through cargo bay with ramps on both ends?

Fix for the names on github. Yeah, not a bad idea that.

@AccidentalDisassembly,

Tried that, but still can't get it to work.

If I have the transform hierarchy in the right form (I think) I don't get anything in the log (last entry concerns one of the Nerva rockets), but when I got it wrong (renaming, merging things) I got this.

[LOG 20:34:42.445] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SXT/Parts/Engine/propEngines/NK12M/SXTNK12M'
[EXC 20:34:42.455] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.ReplaceTextures (UnityEngine.GameObject model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 textureNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 newTextures)
PartLoader.CompileModel (.UrlConfig cfg, .ConfigNode partCfg, Single scaleFactor, .AvailablePart partInfo)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

With this for the set up

MODULE
{
propellerName = propHub
rotationSpeed = -250
thrustRPM = -400
windmillRPM = 0.1
windmillMinAirspeed = 30
spinUpTime = 3.4
useRotorDiscSwap = 1
rotorDiscName = propBlur
rotorDiscSpeed = -25
blade1 = bladeB
}

MODULE
{
propellerName = propHub1
rotationSpeed = 250
thrustRPM = 400
windmillRPM = 0.1
windmillMinAirspeed = 30
spinUpTime = 3.5
useRotorDiscSwap = 1
rotorDiscName = propBlur1
rotorDiscSpeed = 26
blade2 = bladeA
}

Anyway, won't really be able to do anything else before I'm off away. I'll be back in September hopefully.

If anyone has any urgent fixes in the mean time, submit them to gitHub and hopefully one of the joint contributors might be able to merge it with the master.

If the exception is at PartLoader.ReplaceTextures, then it has nothing to do with modules (and likely everything to do with textures/texture replacements). But if removing the second module really does fix it... If you'd be willing to kick the Unity files my way I would be happy to investigate it further.

If the exception is at PartLoader.ReplaceTextures, then it has nothing to do with modules (and likely everything to do with textures/texture replacements). But if removing the second module really does fix it... If you'd be willing to kick the Unity files my way I would be happy to investigate it further.

Yes, this is a bit strange. With 1 module, there aren't any problems with the texture switching (kinda the whole basis of SXT), but introducing the second one is causing it to break. Removing these lines causes it to work.

texture = Mk3Fuselage , Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/Mk3Fuselage
texture = Size3AdvancedEngineDiffuse , Squad/Parts/Engine/Size3AdvancedEngine/Size3AdvancedEngineDiffuse

http://imgur.com/a/ZlGyS

Though you'll need to copy in those textures from their respective Squad folders.

I had a similar issue once before with the Mk3 tail ramp, and had to bundle duplicates of the textures rather than simply reference them.

Doing the same thing, here's a fix that works with proper looking textures (for me at least): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXTContraRotatingFix.zip

Though it'd add a bit more onto your RAM usage, but it certainly looks a lot cooler.

Also, thoughts on my idea of a 3.75m-Mk3 cargo-hold segment?

That's the bit I was referring to when I said not a bad idea :P

Will have to wait till I get back though, in a double check I've got everything mode now.

With respect to contra-rotating props, I'd been fiddling with RetroFuture parts and there's one with contra-rotating props that DOES work. This is from its config re: the FSplanePropellerSpinner bits:

*THANK YOU* for poking at those. That is one of the packs I've been missing most, lately. These new props in SXT come close to replacing them, but those things had some serious style...

Edited by Beetlecat

This may be an issue with FireSpitter beyond your control, but, turboprops don't sound like piston engines when starting up. They sound like jet engines spinning up and do so gradually, not suddenly starting the props like piston engines would do