[1.1] SXT - Lack's Stock Extension [SXT-25-10APR16] - Basic 1.1 compatibilty

Lack

43 minutes ago, jojojona said:

@LackCould you possibly make a separate download that contains just the cargo plane parts? These are the only parts I need, and manually deleting all other parts (to decrease startup time) is a pain in the butt...

Equally, maintaining two versions of the same mod can also be a pain. Removing the unwanted parts is actually something a lot of advanced players do. (Myself included) But it's usually bad form to ask a dev to remove the parts you don't like and just give you what you want. All the parts have a lot of work in them. What I like to do is I I modify a version of a mod. I will then repack my own adaptation into a new RAR / ZIP and then that will be my go to mod I then use.

@blowfish

I think I'll try with the B9AnimationModules for the .zip, then have module manager set up to replace it with the current one for the CKAN version (had problems with that one before). Yeah, I've never had much luck with heat-dependent animations, not entirely sure where I've been going wrong with that.

@StevieC

I'm not sure a whole new ramp is necessary (whole tonne of work for something very specific), but there may be room for an adaptor piece of some sort since it doesn't look quite as nice as the real life 124, 225s.

@Preliator

Possibly, it does go a bit fast, but given the size, it's the speed needed to provide a reasonable bit of G (I think it was either Mun or Duna surface gravity). Does make them a bit nauseas (but they're already green, so how bad can it really be) since the diameter is pretty low; really you'd want a ring a few times larger. I might put up a slower version later on.

The VAB/SPH speed is due to the animation speed multiplier Squad put in. Not much I can do about that, afaik.

@jojojona

Maintaining different versions is a bit of hassle (they often get left behind went I update the pack); but I do have a load of Mini-packs in the OP already and did ask for nominations, so don't worry too much about it.

I've added one with the Osual parts, the IVA and the wing parts to the mini-packs section in the OP.

A few new parts:

Alouette satellite, body and a roll-up antenna (Primarily for RP0). Getting the solar panels was a bit of work, ended up just hiding a bunch of the radial solar panels in the middle of the model. Not an elegant solution, but it does pretty much work.

Animated airlock. Turned out to be slightly more fiddly that I'd anticipated and still needs some polishing. Based on a mash up of the Kibo and Quest, except I swapped the Kibo's doors the other way round. Rule of Cool and what-not.

Should both be on the github branch if people fancy playing around with them: https://github.com/Signatum/SXT/archive/master.zip

Part of why I said a full-blown Osaul tail-ramp is twofold:

1. the Mk3 tail-ramp is not wide enough for some payloads
  2. the dorsal "hump" of the Osaul is actually NEEDED for the main cargo-hold's tail-ramp to be safely openable in-flight.

Observe:

Timestamp: 36 minutes 21 seconds through 38 minutes 27 seconds

In addition, the upper-fuselage can act as a tailboom to allow attachment of tail-fins well-behind the rear cargo-ramp.

Delete Goose.cfg and .mu in SXT/Parts/Command/Mk3Cockpit/

They did work on my end, but something when wrong when I put it on Github a while back. It likely won't be in a release candidate.

@inigma

I hadn't even thought that :/ I'll have a look into it.

@NathanKell

Ah, that would be easier, I wasn't aware of that was added. I'd tried making the raycatcher mesh the same shape as the probe, but that didn't work. I'll have a look through Tantares and see if I can find it in use.

@StevieC

I could possibly re-purpose the existing 3.75m tail-plane even. It's a lot of work though, so it'll be a case of when the inspiration hits.

12 minutes ago, Rho-Mu 34 said:

Speaking of ramps, Lack, do you plan on refreshing mk3 front ramp? As useful as the stock aft cargo ramp is, frontal cargo deployment is valuable option.

If you have a look on the first page, there should be a link to it under the Mini-packs section. It should work alright, but I ended up getting annoyed with the part (didn't work with texture swapping, so had to have copies of the textures in the folder with it, so it was chewing up a fair bit of memory) so removed it from the main pack.

I should probably take another shot at it really and get the top bit to line up fully with the backbone of the Mk3. But ramps can be a bit of nuisance to work with.

Edited by Lack

Why, i do use this ramp extensively, hence the question about refresh.

ojkF8RB.png

45 minutes ago, Lack said:

I should probably take another shot at it really and get the top bit to line up fully with the backbone of the Mk3. But ramps can be a bit of nuisance to work with.

That is a good idea. Another thing i'd like to point out is short ramp itself - while unloading rovers isn't much of a problem, getting back in is hassle. Not to mention that short ramp spells host of problems with rover's wheel clearance vs landing gear height, and trying to get kerbal in (to secure cargo with KAS struts) is pretty damn tedious.

So, all in all, while ramp works for the most part, it definitely needs overhaul.

And speaking of mk3, could you also look into adding mk3 cargo bays without top doors? That would help greatly with building high-wing cargo planes,

7 hours ago, V8jester said:

Lack, I love the new Heli cockpit! Are you planning on an IVA? Or just stick with "Command Chairs" Either way works as you get an IVA by using the Kerbal view.

screenshot37_zps2wnehudy.png~original

screenshot39_zpsgiboo7jz.png~original

What other mods did you use here?

@Lack This pack is outstanding. It fits the really problematic gaps in stock part set, especially when building aircraft. The only problem I have with this pack is that the 2m airliner parts (Kossack line) are mindbogglingly heavy, they have masses more in line with Mk3 parts not the Size 2 parts. The KAX horizon cockpit for instance, a direct "competitor" to Kossack is 2.75t, ~75% of Kossack's mass. I actually went on and reduced masses of this entire part line by 1/4, because aircraft made with them had ridiculous stall speeds. A nearly exact scale replica of a320 series (2.5m as opposed to ~3-4 of the original, more less the Kerbal scale of 0.64) had dry mass almost equal to the full scale real life equivalent, which with much shorter Fat-455 wings resulted in stall speed of around 190-200 knots with flaps (I play with FAR installed). So, these could use some slimming down, because now they feel as if they were made of tungsten rather than aluminum.

10 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

What other mods did you use here?

B9 Aerospace

B9 Procedural parts

Procedural Parts

Firespitter

BD Armory - With a custom Tweakscale patch

RKE Kanadarm - With a custom Tweakscale patch

IR and IR Rework - To tilt the rotor 10 degrees forward to achieve speeds close to 100m/s in forward flight

ProProps - For the flight helmets in the first pic

LLL - Clipped in structural mount

Edited by V8jester

4 hours ago, V8jester said:

B9 Aerospace

B9 Procedural parts

Procedural Parts

Firespitter

BD Armory - With a custom Tweakscale patch

RKE Kanadarm - With a custom Tweakscale patch

IR and IR Rework - To tilt the rotor 10 degrees forward to achieve speeds close to 100m/s in forward flight

ProProps - For the flight helmets in the first pic

LLL - Clipped in structural mount

Are those lights part of the model or the new nav lights by Why485?