[0.24] Delta IV heavy - now with Orion

Good evening Kerbonauts:

Well, a little distraction from my stock russians rockets, i did the Delta IV heavy. Only stock parts are used and it has the same flightprofil like the real one. It can lift 23 tons to LKO (with some spare fuel for deorbiting the second stage) and without the stock payloadfairings, even 25 to 26 tons are possible or slightly more, depending on the flightprofil.

features:

-real look-a-like. same stages and look like the real one, even the second stage is very accurate in the look

-corebooster engines needs to be throttled down, archived with actiongroup and partclipping

-stock fairings

-subassambly ready

update:

22.july - added the Orion spacecraft as a payload for teh delta IV heavy, stockfairings and LES included

Warning: because of partclipping of engines is this stock craft not compatible with the hotrockets mod. sry guys

Download:

-> [stock] Delta IV heavy pack<-

important flight instructions:

-Actiongroup 1 is used for the throttling of the corebooster engine.

- t+ 1m20s ( one minute and twenty seconds) after launch, press 1 to throttle down corebooster engine

-after seperation of sideboosters, press 1 again for full throttle of corebooster

-shortly after seperation of sideboosters, you can stage for releasing the payloadfairings

-second stage engine is only a single LV-T30, keep this in mind for planing orbit insertion - burntime will be very long with a 20+tons payload, attitudecontroll with reactionwheel and very big battery

for the Orion:

-same flightprofil as the Delta IV heavy with other payloads

-Actriongroup 2 for Solarpanels and Antennas

Abort sequence:

Abort -> 0 -> 9 -> party

pictures:

-launch with 23tons testpayload

the rocket is subassamly ready, but you can just build your payload on top of the decoupler. For teh stockfairing: just take the single one and go for 3x symetry. But don't forget the struts and the stageorder.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

pictures of the Delta IV heavy and the Orion spacecraft:

m1GeoTW.jpg

h6zejnx.jpg

fQJnEPO.jpg

big thanks to Giggleplex777 for helping me with the second stage ! :)

Edited by Darth Lazarus

Very nice! Mind if I borrow that DCSS for an SLS? Just gonna mess around. :)

Instead of the throttling down, couldn't you use the thrust limiter setting to make the core stage burn longer than the boosters?

Very nice! Mind if I borrow that DCSS for an SLS? Just gonna mess around. :)

Instead of the throttling down, couldn't you use the thrust limiter setting to make the core stage burn longer than the boosters?

have as much fun as possible with it :D but don't forget to thank giggleplex, he helped me with the fuellines.

about the throttling:

the real Delta IV throttles the coreengine down to 60% shortly after liftoff. later after seperation of teh sideboosters, it goes back to full 100%. i tried to replicate this with the actiongroup and the clipped engines :)

ofcourse: thrustlimiting would be easier, but that was not my goal :D

• 2 months later...
very intersting for careermode ... how does it fly? what is the maxpayload? do you toggle the coreengine?

I just do 100% and set the core engine to fly at 80% all the time. It can actually carry some orange tanks to orbit, but still needs some testing

with the capsule, i mean the command pod :D

but it hink i guess what you want, so you want to use the complete Orion spacecraft as lander? thrust would be no problem with 100kN, TWR of around 1. butl ... it has around 700m/s dV. it could land on VERY low gravitiy, no atmosphere worlds. but would need a brakingstage mostly. not usable on Mun, too less dV in the servicemodule for a safe return.

but feel free to experimente as you wish :)

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.