[.24.2] DISCONTINUED July-27- Asteroid Cities V2.0

dtobi

After one year of developing and maintaining mods for KSP, it is time to move on for me.

I will release the code and models into the public domain if anyone is interested. Please just drop me a message if you are interested in taking over the development and maintenance for this mod or if you would like to use its code or models in other mods.

It was a pleasure to work with you guys!

dtobi

PEUyPbj.jpg

Klockheed Martian Engine Manufacture - Asteroid Cities

--------------------------------------------------------------

Visit the official forum thread for more information:

Parts

* 2.5m Klaw

* 0.62m Klaw with water detector

* Refinery

* Greenhouse (uses TAC ... patches for other life support systems are welcome!)

* Asteroid command bunker. Dig in part.

------------------------------

About the pack:

I was frustrated with how little you can do with asteroids. This pack adds water to asteroids and provides parts to create fuel depots with refineries and greenhouses for cities.

Important Hint: By default, asteroids contain 1000 units of water. After an analysis with the probe sized Philly Klaw, up to 1/4th of the asteroid's mass will become water. The Philly grabber is the most important part!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Changelog:

V0.1 Initial release

V0.11 Asteroids now contain Ore and Kethane if the plugins are installed. The Philly scanner scans for both, too.

V0.2 Updated conversion rates to avoid magic mass increase, increased electricity drain.

V0.3 Resource Generator improvements (better greenhouse and refinery operation)

- Resource generator stops when running out of one input resource

- Resource converter stops when running out pf output resource space

V0.3.1 Hotfix for missing km_lib.dll

V0.4 Command bunker and performance fix

V0.5 Fix for reattachment of grabbers (hopefully)

- Grabbers should now be attachable multiple times

- Improved grabber collision meshes for better grabbing

- Turned Philly and large grabber around so that "control from here" works better

V2.0: New KM Folder structure

* Compatibility for 0.24 and new folder structure

Installation:

-----------------

Important! Please follow the steps EVERY TIME you update a Klockheed Martian Mod! All public releases are located here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r93q90vpbeavoye/AACAlIFel0ufwiU4h1_WtfFGa/KSP

a) Download the latest version of the base Klockheed Martian Mod from here. It is just called "Klockheed_Martian".

B) Download the desired Klockheed Martian mods (e.g., Klockheed_Martian_SSE for Space Shuttle Engines).

c) Delete the Klockheed Martian base folder (GameData\Klockheed_Martian).

d) If you update mod, delete its folder too (e.g., GameData\Klockheed_Martian_SSE)

d) Unzip both files and copy the GameData folders to your GameData Folder.

The base folder is required for common plugin functionality that is shared by all Klockheed Martian mods.

THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS

----------------------------

Reviews, ideas, balancing suggestions, critique, etc. is very welcome. Please ask if you want to contribute.

How to use the Philly (Philae's nephew) Grabber:

8DEBDMv.jpg

uy6dZ6f.jpg

This work is shared under Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 license.

You may non-commercially share it as-is with credit to the author in the download and on the download page.

Please contact me if you want to modify or extend the code.

Author: dtobi

Edited by dtobi

Shoudlnt we have ice instead of water? :)

Well this sound like something that might be compatible with ksp interstellar resource system.

I will definitly try it ou, havent tried dmagic asteroid science yet anyway, so might check this all out using one mission.

By the way 2m claw with place for docking port might be very usefull.

Edited by kiwiak

Shoudlnt we have ice instead of water? :)

Well this sound like something that might be compatible with ksp interstellar resource system.

I will definitly try it ou, havent tried dmagic asteroid science yet anyway, so might check this all out using one mission.

By the way 2m claw with place for dicking port might be very usefull.

I might replace the water with ice once I get to model more parts for it. Modeling the animated refinery and greenhouse was a pain already. The images don't really show how they look when deployed.

Very cool addition. I can't wait to have this as part of my .24 playthrough.

Are these parts on the tech tree?

Sure they are :-)

- - - Updated - - -

One of the things I like about the refinery on the asteroid: Its fun to leave an asteroid in a highly eccentrical orbit and use it as a catapult and refuelling outpost for interstellar missions.

Two major things:

1) Can someone patch this to ECLSS? I am working on it but I am not confident in my abilities with MM so right now it's straight alterations to the asteroid and greenouse .cfgs. (1 TAC unit reoughly equates to 400 ECLSS units)

2) How hard would it be to fill asteroids with kethane as well (1200 units unscanned, 1/3 mass max scanned)? What would I have to change (this is a personal version for myself)?

EDIT: specifically, I cannot figure out how to change the scanning behavior for kethane and for raising 1/4 to 1/3.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Two major things:

1) Can someone patch this to ECLSS? I am working on it but I am not confident in my abilities with MM so right now it's straight alterations to the asteroid and greenouse .cfgs. (1 TAC unit reoughly equates to 400 ECLSS units)

2) How hard would it be to fill asteroids with kethane as well (1200 units unscanned, 1/3 mass max scanned)? What would I have to change (this is a personal version for myself)?

Just do it in the configs directly and send me the cfgs. I'll include it.

Two major things:

Kethane would be fairly easy. I'm just not sure how to turn on and off kethane scanning depending on whether the plugin is installed. Anyone else interested?

Kethane would be fairly easy. I'm just not sure how to turn on and off kethane scanning depending on whether the plugin is installed. Anyone else interested?

As long as your mod does not define the resource kethane in resources.cfg, your fine. The game won't parse an undefined resource into an asteroid so it won't be parsed unless someone has kethane's resources.cfg which defines kethane.

As long as your mod does not define the resource kethane in resources.cfg, your fine. The game won't parse an undefined resource into an asteroid so it won't be parsed unless someone has kethane's resources.cfg which defines kethane.

In that case, Its easy. I'll make a patch. What's the resource name for Kethane? "Kethane"?

yeah. Is water in TAC units (where one unit = 1 day supply for 1 kerbal)? Because then I need to convert it to liters for ECLSS and US.

Yeah, water is in TAC units.

Nifty! Was just about to build a part similar to your probe for the Hollow Asteroids mod (currently wrapping up the API for dynamic tank partitioning). Would not mind chatting and see if we can work together on some asteroid goodness :)

Ok, now testing with Kethane and Ore... I don't have these plugins installed so I can only verify that things don't fall apart. Someone else would have to check that it actually does something when the plugins are installed. The scanner should work for all now and the Roids should have the resources when installed. I'll post here once I uploaded the update.

Nifty! Was just about to build a part similar to your probe for the Hollow Asteroids mod (currently wrapping up the API for dynamic tank partitioning). Would not mind chatting and see if we can work together on some asteroid goodness :)

It would be my pleasure but I'll need to sleep a bit. ... try the mod and if you see your stuff fits its look and feel, we can combine the two.

Edited by dtobi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.