[.24.2] DISCONTINUED July-27- Asteroid Cities V2.0

dtobi

However,... this mod should be fun to play with so I will not implement a slow resource generation scheme (even if its more realistic) to mimic real systems. Why not? I think its useless to force people to time warp for minutes just to fill a tank. I hate resource systems that make me do that. I believe eveyone knows how to time warp, so there is no challenge or fun in that.

Also I don't want to implement a system that works while the ship is not focused (e.g., greenhouse that produces exactly the amount of food for the kerbals onboard). It would be cool but it is too complicated. There are too many unknowns. Is there electricity while the ship is not focused? Is it in the shadow? How many kerbals are consuming resources? Are any containers full? ... You have to simulate the whole vessel and its environment. I don't want to do this, sorry.

So I hope you understand that this mod will be more on the fun and gameplay side than on the 100% accurate simulation side. I tried to make it somewhat challenging by making the refinery quite heavy and by requiring quite some electricity. I might require even more electricity, though.

I hope people still like this mod.

I understand that.

And this is probably a good decision.

Only one more thing to consider - greenhouse is intended to use with TACLS and is useles without it. You probably can look at TACLS modules which already work on rails and unfocused (and have all those mentioned problems solved somehow), and probably you can make it work like TACLS recyclers.

Edited by Lightwarrior

I tested this out with .2 of AC. Got the same results.

I've included my test ship, pictures of my docking attempts, and other details here.

I have to say, I'm hyped about this mod. I've been dying for some proper asteroid resources, and I loved your work with Smart Parts. It's an exciting project, and I can't wait to get it working on my computer. Thanks for your hard work!

EDIT: One very minor note. I found that in .1, the PAA would always have the disconnect button active in the context menu. It's gone away in the latest version, and I think it's supposed to be invisible unless it's actually docked.

Edited by PTTG

I made a new post to keep things chronological.

All right, first things first, you need to continue this. If this is 0.1 then I can't wait to see what is coming!

I played around a bit with the part and made two crafts. A tiny one and a large one. See pics below.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Comments:

- Your models look very well done as always.

- When you take the Philly claw out of the parts list it is upside down. If I didn't know what the Rosetta - Philae lander looks like (awesome that you made this part btw), i might have put it on upside down. Perhaps that caused the problem posted above. It attached the second time for me. The first time one of the legs bumped into the asteroid.

- My only gripe with the conversion is that water is transformed in food and oxygen. It seems a bit to magical. Perhaps you could use something like algae that feed on water and waste to make food and oxygen. Not sure about the conversion rates, maybe less food unit made per unit waste and water so you don't create a loop. It is a bit late for me:confused:

Ideas:

- Turn the water into ice and create something like a heater. Would make a nice addition and would force you to plan your city building a bit.

- A science station, which is something like the science lab. But for asteroid science!!

- A hab modules for living, not the most necessary as we can use the crew tank.

Hope the above helps with development. I will be following and using what ever progress is made.

Edit: Post above confirms the upside down placement.

Edited by 4nxs

Hmmmm...

I think I know what the problem might be. Could someone take a look at my probe design and tell me I didn't put the PAA on upside down? I assumed that, when it's deployed, the spikes should face into the asteroid, right?

Well.

I am apparently a moron...

Still, it'd be nice if there was a label on the claw. I was pretty sure that the spikes were the important part, not the flat pads.

Edited by PTTG

Hmmmm...

I think I know what the problem might be. Could someone take a look at my probe design and tell me I didn't put the PAA on upside down? I assumed that, when it's deployed, the spikes should face into the asteroid, right?

Well.

I am apparently a moron...

Still, it'd be nice if there was a label on the claw. I was pretty sure that the spikes were the important part, not the flat pads.

Dont worry you are not the only one that had this issue:blush:

@dtobi: I just landed my first "philly" probe. I got Water, Kethane and Ore. Brilliant! Awesome! You've done it again! Loving it.

@stom: After doing "analyse" then right click on the asteroid.

@PTTG: Yes, as 4nxs noted, when compared to the orientation of the stock Claw in the VAB the PAA and the Advanced Grabbing Unit are shown upside down.

Lovely mod.

You just added a heap more awesomeness to this beautiful game.

Colonizing the asteroid belt.. I got so many new things to do now.

Now... what mod to use to make an asteroid factory and build things?

This will need some serious testing.

Hmmm... didn't get this. Can you be more specific?

Sorry that i wasnt so clear :), Well, a kerbalhabitat module/dome, that is a commandpod but will act more like a house for our dear kerbals when put on the asteroids ^^

Sorry that i wasnt so clear :), Well, a kerbalhabitat module/dome, that is a commandpod but will act more like a house for our dear kerbals when put on the asteroids ^^

I am working on something like that... but it will take a while.

- - - Updated - - -

The real question is did you use space shuttles to send up those ships in the screenshots on the title page?

I confess... I did not. :-P

am i the only one whose computer crashed while loading after installing this?

Yep. It's actually quite doubtful that a KSP addon could actually cause your entire system to crash.

...That and if you're running Windows, you should be used to BSODs as a fact of life by now. :P

ok let me rephrase that this caused KSP to crash while loading when i installed this...

How many mods are you running?

Most common cause for crash while loading is hitting the RAM limit. Look into the Active Texture Management mod (if you haven't already) for a reliable fix.

How many mods are you running?

Most common cause for crash while loading is hitting the RAM limit. Look into the Active Texture Management mod (if you haven't already) for a reliable fix.

uh you may want to read this thread that i made about the problem i had...

My thread involving this problem

Edit: it was a bad download nevermind

Edited by Helix935

uh you may want to read this thread that i made about the problem i had...

My thread involving this problem

Would you please stop accusing Asteroid cities to cause the crash until you have conclusive facts?

No one else but you seems to have the problem. For example, I am running it on two different instsllations (clean one and heavily modded) without any issues. Have you tried a clean install with just Asteroid cities? I'd bet it will run just fine. Once you keep adding more mods it will then break again. Memory is most often the problem.

I strongly doubt that your crash is caused by this mod becsuese it uses quite little memory and does nothing fancy. In fact its routines don't even run anything noteworthy during KSP startup (in contrast to many graphical mods). So please be reasonable and stop pretending things you can't prove properly.

Edited by dtobi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.