[.24.2] DISCONTINUED July-27- Asteroid Cities V2.0

dtobi

I'm definitely liking these alternate CLAWs. What would you think of a CLAW scaled to work as an end-effector for a Dromoman arm? I know it's not really the intended use for the CLAW, but it'd be handy for an RMS.

So, here are some more pictures, of a small proof of concept test mission from today. Discovered a minor issue with the 2.5m Astropad (see below).

Part one: the ship, launch, intercept and arrival at the asteroid. It follows the "pods" concept I talked about previously, just this time with fewer welded parts (actually only one, the cone/RTG power generator combo) and all combined into one ship instead of one for the drive section/drop tanks and one support ship as shown yesterday.

The images show the top section with a Philly to probe for water; then a stock gyro pod using the 2.5m Astropad grabber from this mod, the SAS modules are disabled at the start (or else = wobbly); then a refinery with more RTG power; and finally a drive section, again using my downsized 2.5m variant of the z-pinch-fusion. I really like the ZPF model, but you can just replace it with any Nuke or other engine if you prefer those... the ZPFs are a little overpowered with their ISP of 1200+, but for me it's just a matter of "getting there" with fewer parts and less hassle, especially for these tests :) For the same reason I let MechJeb handle most of the flying.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Part two: operations at the asteroid, deployment of all the pods, and finally disposal of the delivery stage (de-orbit into Kerbin using the remaining fuel). This is a lot of rinse and repeat: arm grabber, attach module, activate SAS/tanks where required, and decouple pod from ship.

During this phase I discovered a minor issue with the grabber part: the control direction of the 2.5m part (and possibly of the Philly as well) is inverted. To reproduce, just put it on top of your rocket and right on the launched pad select "control from here"... you'll see what I mean. Apart from that no issues, once or twice the grabber took a while to lock but that's just the same as for docking ports.

Part three: plotting to bring the asteroid into orbit around Kerbin and testing the refinery. The 4 gyro-pods are way more SAS power than required for a C-class, so it turns really well. And here we learn why I probably will not be using the refinery in my regular (career mode) game: it makes capturing E-class asteroids very easy. If this were not a 110t C-class but instead a 3000t E-class, my tiny drive section would only have fuel for about 69 m/s. For those I usually bring another two drop-tanks (stock 3.75m medium tanks, each with a grabber to attach them separately to the asteroid), for a total of about 330 m/s available delta-V. This is usually enough to adjust the approach to enter a prograde orbit and capture, but far from being able to circularize (I do not aerobreak asteroids, period). Extrapolating from the amount of water in the C-class (15k water at 110t, which should refine to 2250 units of LiquidFuel if I read the description correctly, an E-class would probably have over 61k of LF (!) which might even be enough for a powered descent into KSC ;-)

And that's it. I really like the parts and will probably be using the grabbers to replace the stock grabber (variants). It is very nice that they have nodes on top to stack, and the performance was also outstanding, hardly any "yellow" timestamps even though I am playing on a notebook :)

On the other hand, if I ever start a TAC-LS game, then I will totally be using the water resources from the plugin to replenish life-support. In my regular game I have a small ion-powered ship hopping from asteroid to asteroid to collect samples, and that could totally benefit if it did not have to carry too much life-support.

Edited by Kiwa

Four posts? Dude. There's an edit button.

As for the greenhouse...what the heck does that have to do with KSP Interstellar? KSPI doesn't even have a life-support system. At all.

not everyone notices edited posts. I find separate posts to be perfectly acceptable. Why you make issue??

not everyone notices edited posts. I find separate posts to be perfectly acceptable. Why you make issue??

It's not exactly good forum etiquette, repeatedly bumping a thread in close succession. If your post is last, you should be fine editing it. Four posts is...excessive.

It's not exactly good forum etiquette, repeatedly bumping a thread in close succession. If your post is last, you should be fine editing it. Four posts is...excessive.

I like to keep the posts separete, too. Sorry. Maybe I am stubborn, maybe it is bad etiquette but I like it that way. For posts that are related, I agree, edit is the way to go.

Been playing with this mod and I've come to notice the part origin ( I think thats what it's called :) ) for the 2m Klaw is inverted? In the VAB part chooser the Klaw "face" is down. When the part is picked and placed in the VAB editor the Klaw "face" is down. When one does a "control from here" on the 2m Klaw while in flight if the Klaw "face" is pointed up the nav ball will indicate you are pointed down. This is with v0.3. I think the Philly has the same problem but it's not as noticeable because it's folded position. Thanks for your work on this, please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

The main problem I have here is that there aren't any smaller textures. It's definitely a great mod, but I have too many mods.

EDIT: The plugins may be the problem. It loaded perfectly without them.

EDIT 2: I have all 3 parts that I am going to use without plugins and the game loaded perfectly.

Edited by Tangle

The main problem I have here is that there aren't any smaller textures. It's definitely a great mod, but I have too many mods.

EDIT: The plugins may be the problem. It loaded perfectly without them.

So what is your problem? Could you describe it clearly and in detail? Thanks!

So what is your problem? Could you describe it clearly and in detail? Thanks!

I believe that one of my mods is interfering with a plugin. That's all I know. When I launch the game, it crashes about a quarter of the way in (full installation). With just the parts, it's fine.

Does this require another life support mod to work or are these resources stand-alone?

The refinery will work out of the box without any other plugin. The greenhouse will work, too but the food and oxygen are rather useless if your kerbals are non-eating and non-breething zombies ;-)

If I use a different density for water, will the plugin automatically scale the number of units of water that are spawned when I "analyze" an asteroid, or will I end up with a total mass of water that is greater/less than what it's supposed to be?

Had an odd question for you. Your "Important Note" suggests that the available resources get changed after you run an analysis. I don't see any editable cfg file for this process (Beyond the initial 1000 in the potatoroid) so I am guessing it is something you have hard coded.

Would it be possible for you to make it configurable so we could add other resources besides the Water, Ore, & Kethane?

For example I have an MM config file I have been putting together to replace KSPI's land based unlimited mining (using ORS) with a Kethane style system. So far its working well and I would love to be able to randomly assign the 6-8 new kethane style resources to asteroids... how to make a reactor run for ridiculous amount of time, find one with a massive stockpile of He3 :P

If I use a different density for water, will the plugin automatically scale the number of units of water that are spawned when I "analyze" an asteroid, or will I end up with a total mass of water that is greater/less than what it's supposed to be?

The mass of the resource is taken into account. So if you change the density, you will get more or less water.

So if you change the density, you will get more or less water.

Just to make sure I understand correctly: If I change the density, I will get more/less units of water (but the total mass will remain constant), or more/less mass of water (but the number of units will remain constant)?

Just to make sure I understand correctly: If I change the density, I will get more/less units of water (but the total mass will remain constant), or more/less mass of water (but the number of units will remain constant)?

The total asteroid's mass will stay constant. For each resource up to 1/3 of the mass of the roid is converted. The amount of units depend on the density of the respective resource and will be more for less dense resources.

The total asteroid's mass will stay constant. For each resource up to 1/3 of the mass of the roid is converted. The amount of units depend on the density of the respective resource and will be more for less dense resources.

Perfect, thank you!

Had an odd question for you. Your "Important Note" suggests that the available resources get changed after you run an analysis. I don't see any editable cfg file for this process (Beyond the initial 1000 in the potatoroid) so I am guessing it is something you have hard coded.

Would it be possible for you to make it configurable so we could add other resources besides the Water, Ore, & Kethane?

For example I have an MM config file I have been putting together to replace KSPI's land based unlimited mining (using ORS) with a Kethane style system. So far its working well and I would love to be able to randomly assign the 6-8 new kethane style resources to asteroids... how to make a reactor run for ridiculous amount of time, find one with a massive stockpile of He3 :P

It's not really hard coded but it uses the resources in the potatoroidv config. It will give each of the resources in the config up to a third of the asteroid's mass. And this is the catch. Right now it will use 1/3 always. Of you want to use more than three resources, you'll have a mass increase. I might change that later if it's required. Would you want to have a more specialized resource detection for the different resources?

It's not really hard coded but it uses the resources in the potatoroidv config. It will give each of the resources in the config up to a third of the asteroid's mass. And this is the catch. Right now it will use 1/3 always. Of you want to use more than three resources, you'll have a mass increase. I might change that later if it's required. Would you want to have a more specialized resource detection for the different resources?

Ahh ok that makes sense.

I don't mind having a single scanner/detection mechanic, keeps the part counts down.

But could I put in a feature request for a randomize option? Say I add 10 resources to the potatoroid could we have the option to set a "chance" value and have the system say randomly select up to 3 of them to use and then remove the rest? That way each astroid that spawns isn't guarenteed to have large quantities of everything.

That would allow people to use MM configs to hook new resources into the system & let them set a rarity chance :)

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

This is awesome! I would really like to see the 1.25 and 2.5m grabber parts replaced with larger versions of the more realistic probe type grabber. For now I'm going to resize my own or hope it is compatible with TweakScale.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.